• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Undeclared Modifications Discovered

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

You mean Credit Card company and Finance Company (if deposit paid by Credit Card company) not dealer.

'you may have a claim against the finance company and the dealer (jointly and severally) for any breach of contract or misrepresentation by the dealer'.
    Surely "a claim against the finance company and the dealer... " is 100% correct isn't it?

"s75(1) - If the debtor under a debtor-creditor-supplier agreement falling within section 12(b) or (c) has, in relation to a transaction financed by the agreement, any claim against the supplier in respect of a misrepresentation or breach of contract, he shall have a like claim against the creditor, who, with the supplier, shall accordingly be jointly and severally liable to the debtor " [My bold for emphasis]

Comment

Originally posted by Manxman View Post

Surely "a claim against the finance company and the dealer... " is 100% correct isn't it?

"s75(1) - If the debtor under a debtor-creditor-supplier agreement falling within section 12(b) or (c) has, in relation to a transaction financed by the agreement, any claim against the supplier in respect of a misrepresentation or breach of contract, he shall have a like claim against the creditor, who, with the supplier, shall accordingly be jointly and severally liable to the debtor " [My bold for emphasis]
      If the OP had paid a deposit via Credit Card, then he could of made a Section 75 Claim.

That is what I'm stating. So no clarification needed.

Comment

I'm not sure S75 applies where the creditor is the owner
        If the case went to court would the claimant sue the misrepresentor (dealer), or the car owner (finance company) or both (with two defendants)?
        Easier and faster to raise a complaint with the FOS

Comment

Thanks again for the valuable advice, just to update I've sent the email to all parties requesting that my money is returned as it's mis-sold.

I'll update when I hear back :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
            I'm not sure S75 applies where the creditor is the owner
            If the case went to court would the claimant sue the misrepresentor (dealer), or the car owner (finance company) or both (with two defendants)?
            Easier and faster to raise a complaint with the FOS
            S75 doesn't apply as no deposit paid (at all) via Credit Card.

Comment

I did also call the ombudsman and the automated line advised that I'd need to give them up to 8 weeks to resolve before they could look into it but that's at least the next step if I don't get a positive outcome from the dealership/broker/finance.

Comment

If the OP had paid a deposit via Credit Card, then he could of made a Section 75 Claim.

That is what I'm stating. So no clarification needed.
                Sorry but what you originally posted at #8 didn't make any sense and it still doesn't - especially in the context of a s75 claim...

Pezza54 had said - I think correctly - "You purchased the car using finance so, under CCA 1974, you may have a claim against the finance company and the dealer (jointly and severally) for any breach of contract or misrepresentation by the dealer" [My bold for emphasis]

You then quoted him and posted at #8 what appeared to be a correction of what he'd said: "You mean Credit Card company and Finance Company (if deposit paid by Credit Card company) not dealer." [My bold for emphasis]

Perhaps you've expressed that poorly but the only meaning I can give to that sentence in the context of the thread is that you are telling pezza that they were wrong to suggest that the dealer has any liability. It's confusing and wrong for two reasons.

First, you seem to be substituting a credit card company for the dealer and the dealer's liability. This is confusing as there is no credit card involved and there is no "could of" (or "could've") here.

Second - and more importantly - the whole point of a claim under s75 is that a creditor is only liable to the consumer to the same extent (jointly and severally) as the supplier is also liable. So if you are saying that the dealer is not liable ("not dealer") then the finance company can't be liable either.

Pezza tried to query at #9 what you'd said at #8, but it seemed to go straight over your head: "I'm referring to Section 75."

Comment

S75 doesn't apply as no deposit paid (at all) via Credit Card.
                  Ah. I see a pattern emerging...

Do you by any chance think that s75 only apples to credit cards...?

Comment

Sorry but what you originally posted at #8 didn't make any sense and it still doesn't - especially in the context of a s75 claim...

Pezza54 had said - I think correctly - "You purchased the car using finance so, under CCA 1974, you may have a claim against the finance company and the dealer (jointly and severally) for any breach of contract or misrepresentation by the dealer" [My bold for emphasis]

You then quoted him and posted at #8 what appeared to be a correction of what he'd said: "You mean Credit Card company and Finance Company (if deposit paid by Credit Card company) not dealer." [My bold for emphasis]

Perhaps you've expressed that poorly but the only meaning I can give to that sentence in the context of the thread is that you are telling pezza that they were wrong to suggest that the dealer has any liability. It's confusing and wrong for two reasons.

First, you seem to be substituting a credit card company for the dealer and the dealer's liability. This is confusing as there is no credit card involved and there is no "could of" (or "could've") here.

Second - and more importantly - the whole point of a claim under s75 is that a creditor is only liable to the consumer to the same extent (jointly and severally) as the supplier is also liable. So if you are saying that the dealer is not liable ("not dealer") then the finance company can't be liable either.

Pezza tried to query at #9 what you'd said at #8, but it seemed to go straight over your head: "I'm referring to Section 75."
                    My posts are clear, I'm happy to go through them for you, but I'm not going to waste my time doing that.
                    Hopefully, you can 'understand' that or maybe you need it explaining.

Comment

Ah. I see a pattern emerging...

Do you by any chance think that s75 only apples to credit cards...?
                      I'm fairly sure it 'apples' to other things.

Comment

I've spoken with zuto yesterday and they've advised that they'd like to organise an independent inspection/engineer report with a company called ACE or similar.

My concern is that this wouldn't necessarily confirm when the remap was added which is the point they keep going back to, they're saying that they don't have evidence to show that the remap was there at the point of sale.

Would my conversation with the previous owner not being enough to show that it was modified prior to my purchase ? I feel like I'm being made the culprit to some extent and they've also advised that they could charge for mileage 25p or up to 55p per mile, which with the mileage I've done could be anything from £2500 to £5500 as I've done approximately 10k miles, doesn't seem very fair to me when the modifications were hidden and I'd effectively not been given a chance to reject it for the full refund.

Are they quoting consumer rights or does the misrepresentation act effectively cancel that ? I'm wondering if they can still charge that amount when the car was £7500 originally.

Comment

See my last sentence in post 3 about misrepresentation. Parties put back in their precontract position.
                          An email from the previous owner, proof of payment for the remapping and possibly willingness to be a witness in court. That would be v helpful.
                          The previous owner should have notified his insurance company after increasing the car's bhp. You could ask the owner if he still has details of his car insurance, and if he has, could he kindly forward them
                          Last edited by Pezza54; 16th May 2024, 16:21:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X