• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Facebook Marketplace car sale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook Marketplace car sale

I bought a car off facebook marketplace and paid the price of around what other cars of the same age and make are going for. When driving round corners i noticed the steering was not centering smoothly (nothing major) so I took it to the garage and it turns out the rear axle is completely rusted making the car very dangerous to drive. I then spent a day travelling to buy a new axle with the prospect of getting it fitted for the total cost of around £500. When the garage took the axle off they found beneath it all the mounting and everything is all rusting out and is just not worth replacing. The seller is refusing to refund or take the car back. I am now around £1700 out of pocket and still need a car. Is there anything i can do?
    Tags: None

Hi
    If you can prove the seller is a used car dealer you have more legal rights. Check to see if the seller is advertising other vehicles.

It is still an offence for a private seller to sell an unroadworthy vehicle unless the seller makes the buyer fully aware of the cars condition. A current MOT certificate is not proof that the car is roadworthy at the point of sale

You stated that the garage told you the car was dangerous to drive. Did you get anything in writing? If not you will need an inspection report to prove the car is unroadworthy

You didn't mention the advert. If a seller misrepresents the car they are in breach of Section 75 of the Road Traffic Act. This could include an inaccurate description of its condition, mileage, number of owners.

Collect your evidence, garage report, advert, contract/receipt. Write a pre-action letter to the seller warning him or her that you intend to make a court claim if the matter is not amicably resolved (your money you paid is refunded and the car returned)

Comment

As Pezza54 first ascertain if you purchased from a private seller or a trader.

If it was a private seller and the advert was misleading you might have a claim under the Misrepresentation Act 1967
      If it was a trader you have many more rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

I doubt sec 75 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 will be of much use to you.
      Although it criminalises the supply of unroadworthy vehicles, it also contains the caveat that the it does not affect the validity of a contract
      Last edited by des8; 20th March 2024, 10:16:AM. Reason: minor correction in date

Comment

How did you pay?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X