• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Previous owner not clearing finance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Previous owner not clearing finance

Recently I found a vehicle for sale and asked questions regarding it and vehicle had finance in which owner said he'll clear with me being there. Ended up meeting with the seller and took the car out for a test drive. Car was good and paid via bank transfer and he had paid the finance and showed me a bank statement transfer into the finance companies account and said they'll send a confirmation within 24hours and which I will be sent right away. Been around 12 days now and chased this with him daily with no proper luck. He keeps saying he has cleared the finance and nothing he can do. I have called the finance company several times who have confirmed they have not received any payments for this vehicle. I then asked the seller can you send me the bank transfer statement proving it has been sent, after I kept on chasing he sent it over and having looking at it closely now it is a fake bank statement from Lloyds bank, I have made someone else transfer me money from the same bank and compared the two and can confirm that his one is not legit. He still is saying to me I don't know what you want me to do as I've done my side and cleared the finance but I have proof that he has not as I recorded the finance companies call and he has forged a bank statement. Anyone know what I could do? I have all messages as proof.
    Tags: None

Hi
    Please read the article at http://www.parkers.co.uk/used-cars/b...anding-finance

The seller broke the law when he sold the car to a consumer with outstanding finance. The car was not his to sell as it still belonged to the finance company.

You should have checked the finance was fully repaid before buying the car and not have trusted the seller

You should write to the seller stating that you trusted him and bought the car in good faith but as you have since discovered the outstanding finance has not been paid you want to return the car and have your money refunded

If he is prepared to forge bank statements a refund seems unlikely

The finance company will chase the seller for outstanding finance and again it seems improbable that they will receive any money

As you have already been in touch with the company they may or may not contact you. An unscrupulous company may report the car stolen to the police and the police repossess the car

If this happens you should argue in court that the car was repossessed illegally as you bought the car in good faith

Comment

If this happens you should argue in court that the car was repossessed illegally as you bought the car in good faith
      Afraid the OP won't be protected if they knew there was finance attached to the car and that's how I read the OP's post, that they were aware of the finance but went ahead with the purchase anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if the finance company wants to recover the car in the future and they have a legal right to do so.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X