• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice needed please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The OP needs to look very carefully at all the documents he has from the dealer and the finance company. To whom is the dealer's invoice addressed?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

In your 1st post you said you had sent a letter to the dealer within 14 days rejecting the car in accordance with your rights under DSR, but the dealer failed to reply.
      Send another letter by registered post to the dealer referring to the first letter and ask for a reply within 7 days.
      Send a copy of this letter to the finance company.
      If the dealer fails to reply or refuses rejection, send a LBA to the finance company referring to CCA 1974 S175

Comment

Thank you PEZZA54 for the explanation and guidance.

Atticus, the order form from the dealer says

Supply to - my details
        Financed by/invoice to - finance company details
        ​​​​​​
        Does this change the way forward?

Comment

"invoice to - finance company details"

Well, there you are. Technically, and at law, it seems you purchased the vehicle from the finance company, who had bought it from the dealer. Your claim is against them.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Great, so there is no need to pursue the dealer anymore?

I emailed the finance company last night, rejecting the car. Should I send a recorded letter as well.

Is there anyway they can refuse my rejection, I'm still within 14 days from when the car was delivered?

I'm wondering if the 'no contact' from the dealer is because they know I should be rejecting with the finance company and hoping I don't realise that and run out of time, just a thought!

Anyway, can you just confirm that my 14 days start from when the car was delivered, NOT when the credit agreement first started

Comment

confirmed

Comment

Perfect, thanks!

I'm typing out a letter to send to the finance company.

Is there anything specific I should add with regard to legislation? for example in case the dealer hasn't passed my rejection request onto the finance company.

Not sure how best to word it

Comment

Really need some help with this please.

Just spoke to finance company to check email received.

They are saying I need to reject car via the dealership (dealership not responding).

They can't help me any further

How do I move forward?

Comment

I would follow my advice in p17
                    When you send a copy of the letter to the finance company you should state you are following the instructions provided by their employee on 29.1.2024 and if it turns out they were the owner of the vehicle and the instruction was incorrect you will hold them responsible

Comment

state you are following the instructions provided by their employee on 29.1.2024 and if it turns out they were the owner of the vehicle and the instruction was incorrect you will hold them responsible

I don't really understand?

Can you help me draft a letter?

I'm kind of out of my depth here!

Comment

S175 of CCA 1974 allows the consumer to make a claim against the creditor and the supplier at the same time.
                        As neither the dealer nor the finance company are playing ball you may end up having to make a court claim against both.
                        Once you start a court claim both defendants will probably appoint solicitors to write their defence.
                        As your claim will be over £10k it is likely to be allocated to the fast track and you will be liable for defence legal costs, your legal costs, and court fees if you lose the case. This could total several £K
                        The defendants may decide not to act on your LBA and wait to see if you start a court claim. At this stage the defendants might agree to honour your claim or defend it in full.
                        Are you prepared to take the financial risk if necessary?

Comment

You could contact the FOS and ask if they believe you have a genuine claim against the finance company that warrants investigation
                          You have the proof that the finance company owned the car and are refusing your wish to reject the car within 14 days of delivery under the DSR
                          It is a free service.
                          If they agree to investigate, their final decision will take several months. If the ombudsman decides in your favour he or she is likely to decide that a deduction on the refund is made for usage
                          If you accept the decision it is legally binding on the company. If you do not accept it you can still start a court claim

Comment

Hi PEZZA54,

No, probably not prepared to take a risk of going to court unless I know I have a very high chance of winning. I guess it's a gamble.

I spoke to a solicitor today who said because I've paid the finance off, I have now waived the right to cancel the car within 14 days. The phone call was rushed and I'm not sure if that is correct. If you buy something online you pay for it first which doesn't affect the cooling off period!

Will definitely contact the FOS, thanks for that. Just to note, the car is on my drive, not being used. Thanks again

Comment

Your solicitor may be right
                              Please discount the 2nd para of my post15. Section 75 does not apply to hire purchase agreements. You had a cooling off period of 10 days to withdraw from the agreement. You fulfilled the agreement when the finance company let you pay off the loan early
                              The motor ombudsman uses a formula based on additional mileage by the new owner to calculate the deduction The FOS may use a similar formula

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X