• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Question for someone with expert knowledge please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for someone with expert knowledge please

I bought a retail 9 year old excellent condition used car back in late 2021 and within days and weeks a number of faults became apparent. Over several months the dealer attempted to fix the problems but was unsuccessful and eventually they stopped responding to my requests to fix them. I enlisted some legal assistance and over several months more of them attempting to communicate it became apparent that the dealer was no longer trading. We were now into 2023.

As I paid the deposit on a credit card, the solicitors told me to use the CCA section 75 to make a claim which I did. Wind forward another few months and I got an independent assessment paid for by the credit card company and the report is ready to share with them. I decided to do some research first, triggered by the legal wording of some of the report.

All communications with the dealer were in writing, and where an in person or telephone conversation was had, I followed it up in writing – so its clear that the faults occurred, the dealer accepted them and that they tried to fix some of them. Therefore, its my view that the car had faults that were present at the point of sale (due to becoming apparent within days/weeks) and that the credit card company is equally liable for them.

I slipped up and a conversation 6 weeks after sale about one of the faults was not in writing as the dealer, who was initially very helpful land apologetic (hence I had no reason to distrust at the time), told me that it was insignificant and I believed them. It did not become documented until a year later when my usual repair garage pointed it out – by this time the dealer that sold me the car was no longer trading. So in effect I have no black and white evidence of this fault until early 2023. And to complicate things, the repair garage said it should be fixed immediately and so I paid them to do it, only for the fault to reappear very recently several months further down the line. In all honesty, I am not 100% convinced that the repairer fixed the source of the fault and hence the original fault may have still existed until it got much worse and recently became obvious.

To summarise, its possible the source of this fault remained throughout and continued to develop. As it was discussed with the (now out of business) dealer at 6 weeks but not documented until over a year after sale, where do you think I stand with this particular fault?

In case I have to rely on claiming the car did not last a reasonable amount of time, with this particular fault unable to be proven to exist at the time of sale, I know age, condition, mileage, and price paid comes under consideration but what is the significance of “durability” when considering “satisfactory quality” under the CRA 2015? I have done some reading and get conflicting views on this, with some websites not even mentioning its existence and others not giving a clear view. Is durability expected for some time after sale or is it purely measured by the age of the car? I see wording such as “what a reasonable person would expect” which is not helpful.

All expert help greatly appreciated!
    Tags: None

What model is the car, what is its mileage and how much did you pay for it?
    Is the car now drivable? If not when did it become undrivable? Did the car pass a MOT in 2022?
    What is the fault you say may have been present when you bought the car and what does the engineer's report say about the fault?

Comment

Hi Pezza,

Thanks for your response/questions.

Is there a way to can reply to you in private (e.g. email) as I tried to PM you and it said "You are not authorized to create this post"? I don't want to share detailed answers in public and its not going to be clear if I try to anonymise or "adjust" the details.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Anyone able to advise please as I need to get this progressed?

Comment

The use of a test such as "what a reasonable man might expect" has a fairly long history in UK case law.

Around 1900 it came with references to "the man on the Clapham omnibus," and it is fairly self explanatory.

CRA 2015 itself states "The quality of goods is satisfactory if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would consider satisfactory, taking account of—"

We cannot judge for you whether the vehicles durability would be as expected by the man on the omnibus as you haven't given any details about the purchase and declined to answer the questions posed in post 2

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X