• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Kia sportage new engine needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kia sportage new engine needed

Need some advice please my Kia sportage juddered on the motorway and engine completely failed .

I was towed to Kia perrys they’ve now had the car for 8 weeks and it’s in a queue to be looked at I’ve been told the engine needs stripping down but it needs a brand new engine . They’ve given me a Kia Stonic which is a lot smaller . The car is 3.5 years old so
    is covered under warranty.

my questions are I’ve I got a potential claim against them?
    mum currently paying finance on a car I can’t even use and have a hire car what’s not even the same standard of car supposedly Kia shortages from 2020 are on recalls for engine issues . Also the danger it caused having kids in the car breaking down on 3rd lane of the motorway .

should I have to pay for car finance I can’t even use ?

thanks Chris
    Tags: None

Hi Chris
    Sorry to read about your problem with your car. It must have been frightening when the car broke down in the 3rd lane of the motorway. Luckily you and your family escaped without an accident.
    You state that the dealer has yet to start work on your car but they are convinced the engine has been seriously damaged possibly beyond repair and a new engine needed. I*m not a mechanic, could the timing chain have broken? This would be rare for a 3.5 year old car.
    The Kia 7 year warranty only covers the car if it has been regularly serviced by a Kia approved garage in accordance with the service schedule.
    The Kia warranty does not cover a replacement car whilst the car is being repaired.
    Fortunately the dealer has provided you with another car, albeit smaller, probably because he is aware that the repair is going to take several weeks.
    My advice is to chase the dealer by email to try to speed up the repair and to find out what caused the breakdown, before you consider a claim.
    Your Mum should not stop paying the car finance. You should read the terms and conditions in the finance agreement and then phone the finance company and explain your predicament.

Comment

Misfuelling a diesel car with petrol can cause serious damage to the engine if the driver does not realise their mistake and continues to drive the car.
      Are you sure you put the right fuel in your car?

Comment

They’ve already told me it’s covered under warranty Kia told me it’s standard procedure to strip the engine down but more than likely new engine is required and yes it’s been fully serviced at Kia throughout . And no
        its not had petrol put in it ! The is 3 Kia’s in the garage all needing the same thing this is common fault with this model Kia sportage . I bought the car from Kia 10 months ago .

Comment

If this is a common fault with the Kia Sportage, there is sure to be a group legal claim against Kia provided free by a solicitor to affected Sportage owners. Search the internet. If you can find a group legal claim it will be cheaper and safer than starting your own individual claim.

Comment

Start with the Kia owners club

Comment

The is a group legal claim but strugglingvto
              find a uk one the is a few law suits abroad

Comment

The lifetime warranty covers the short block assembly, consisting of the engine block, crankshaft and main bearings, connecting rods and connecting rod bearings, and pistons when damaged due to connecting rod bearing failure.

Comment

There was a legal class action in the U.S. regarding the Theta 2 engine used in Kia cars from 2011 - 2019. Some Sportages were affected. The crankshaft got damaged by dirty oil with metal shavings being allowed to circulate. You may have bought one of the last Kia cars with this engine.
                  The dealer has agreed to replace your engine and provide you with a courtesy car (as in the U.S.) and will seek reimbursement from Kia.
                  Your car should be repaired in a reasonable time without causing you significant inconvenience. The CRA is not clear what is a reasonable time, it depends on individual circumstances.
                  By providing you with a courtesy car Kia has limited any claim for significant inconvenience.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                    The lifetime warranty covers the short block assembly, consisting of the engine block, crankshaft and main bearings, connecting rods and connecting rod bearings, and pistons when damaged due to connecting rod bearing failure.
                    Further to Mike's comment, which I've quoted here for clarity, that would mean the cylinder head and all of its internals (valves, springs, injectors etc), plus other attached items like the turbocharger, are not covered, so I would seek clarification from your dealer if I were you that the entire repair is subject to warranty coverage. The information Mike has found would suggest possibly not; however, you've said the car was serviced by Kia throughout, so the position may be different on that basis.

The point I'm making is, I would seek clarification from the dealer, in writing if possible, that it's all definitely covered at no cost to you, and I would do it before they start work on the car.

Comment

Kia's lifetime engine warranty only applies to certain petrol driven models (OP's car is diesel) and possibly only in USA following a class actio, but their standard warranty is for 7 years.

https://www.kiaenginesettlement.com/...20Pamphlet.pdf
                      https://www.kia.com/uk/owners/insura...nd-exclusions/

Comment

The Theta II engine used petrol. So your engine problem is not the same fault that lead to the legal class action in the US

Comment

Kia and Hyundai are now recalling over 3 million of their cars built 2010 to 2019 in the US regarding a fluid leak that could cause a fire.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X