• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

dodgy car seller.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dodgy car seller.

Sold a car by a firm called DA CAR AND COMMERCIAL LTD

Ill be brief as its a bit of a long story:

1. Sold a car by said firm. Met with them, paid them 80% of the money in cash, rest went via bank transfer (to the owner of the vehicle). Car was advertised on their website, facebook, autotrader and outside their forecourt.
    2. Fast forward~ 4 months car has problems. Namely an expensive oil leak. Contacted DA CAR AND COMMERCIAL, theyve told me to clear off and their reasons as follows:

The car although sold by them means I am not protected by CRA 2015 as the car was owned by somebody else and they did not make a penny off the sale (so they claim).

They have provided me with a receipt which says "x company via DA CAR AND COMMERCIAL LTD". They have now since claimed this receipt wasnt given to me by them.

The matter is a laughing stock. I have taken legal advice who have said given they have sold me the car, and I have dealt with them, my rights under CRA 2015 still stand and if they do not repair the car, they are liable for any bills.

Unbelievable.

Letter that was sent from me to to them:

10th July 2023

Ref: RJ16 YNW AUDI A6 AVANT

Dear D A car and commercial ltd

We purchased the AUDI A6 AVANT from yourselves on 12/02/23. On the 1st July 2023 our vehicles oil light came on. I, Faris checked the electronic dipstick and it revealed the oil was just over minimum. I, Faris noticed spots of oil on my driveway. I, Faris took the vehicle to be inspected and arranged for a service at the same time. The mechanic told me that there is a major oil leak relating to the crankshaft oil seal. I, Faris was advised not to drive the car and immediately change the cambelt, waterpump and seal. I, Faris was told driving the car, the cambelt could slip. It would then require a replacement engine at an estimated cost including fitting of ~£5000. The vehicle in its current state is not roadworthy, unsafe to drive. We have since consulted with two other mechanics. Other mechanics have confirmed that, if indeed the crankshaft oil seal is leaking, and it is losing oil in the fashion it is, the engine could seize.

Pictures were sent to yourselves on WhatsApp on 6th July 2023

A “bill of works” was sent to yourselves on WhatsApp on 6th July 2023.

I have since followed this up on the 10th July.

Separately other issues I made you informally aware about roughly a week after taking delivery of the vehicle
    1. noise coming from passenger rear wheel (shock absorber, bearing?)
    2. when vehicle starts, reverse gear does not immediately engage and sometimes rolls forward. (how much of a big problem is this?)
    3. Bluetooth is intermittent when playing music from the phone handsfree. The AUDI MMI cable needs replacement.

To settle the matter I am looking at the following resolution:

without prejudice save as to costs

Settlement A:

1a. The vehicle to be collected by yourselves by a recovery truck – to avoid further risk of damage.

(If refused to be collected using a recovery truck, I would like it signed in writing that if you drove the vehicle, you would be liable for a replacement engine, fitting, my associated costs and an exact timeline of when you would be able to do said repair)

(We understand our rights under the Consumer Rights Act do not oblige us to return or collect the vehicle)

1b. The vehicle to be inspected and repaired to a high quality* (invoices of genuine parts purchased shared with me and a receipt confirming a warranty on the works).

1c. The vehicle to be returned to ourselves by yourselves.

(business commitments mean I have little time to re-collect the car)

1d. Once the vehicle is returned to ourselves I would arrange an independent examination of the mechanical works c(at my own cost) carried out to confirm high quality repair. Providing I have confirmation from a qualified mechanic the correct works have been carried out and I am unlikely to have further problems with the car, the matter is finalised. If it is a low quality repair or the necessary repairs have not been carried out, we would look at the option of rejecting the vehicle.

* necessary parts replaced. Oil cleaned away from said parts. Undertray cleaned to remove oil.

Settlement B:

1a. To arrange ourselves for a recovery truck to transfer the vehicle from my driveway to the garage.

1b. Garage carries out necessary works and provides invoice as to cost of works.

1c. We send said invoices to yourselves for reimbursement of the costs of setting the vehicles straight.

In an ideal world, it seems Settlement A is the most reasonable solution. I would outline why:
    1. It allows yourselves the sellers to inspect the car and repair it as necessary therefore having less costs. I understand you are attached to a workshop and the vehicle was fully owed by the owner of that workshop.
    2. I am self employed. I work on average 10 hours a day 6 days a week. I have little time to take a vehicle to be repaired and to arrange things. I have business commitments.

If we cannot reach a resolution with respect to SETTLEMENT A We would have no choice but to have the vehicle repaired ourselves– SETTLEMENT B. If we have no choice but to repair the vehicle ourselves (SETTLEMENT B), we would look to send you invoices for:
    1. The works carried out to restore the vehicle back to a roadworthy condition.
    2. Associated costs with respect of recovery truck to move the vehicle and others ie taxi services and hire cars.

If we do reach a resolution with respect to SETTLEMENT A – We would like an exact timeline* and agreement of when the vehicle would be collected (date, time) and when the vehicle would be returned (date, time) well in advance. We would like this timeline and its agreement to be adhered to, as to avoid disruption to our business and personal life.

*We understand that to replace said parts would take a days labour and that the 'crankshaft oil seal' is required to set for 24 hours before the engine can be turned on'.

If we cannot reach a resolution within a reasonable period of time, I would like this communicated to me as soon as possible so that we could ourselves get our vehicle roadworthy again (SETTLEMENT B) – the vehicle is used for personal use. At the moment we cannot travel to our child's medical appointments. We cannot travel around as a family. We in the meantime for short duration journeys would be relying on taxis.

If we do not hear from you by this Friday 14h July 2023, we would look to have the vehicle repaired ourselves (SETTLEMENT B). We would aim to find 3 quotes and go with the most cost effective option.

We would in all circumstances like to avoid court proceedings. We would like an amicable resolution to the matter at hand given our unique commitments as a family and owner of a business.

Many thanks

Reply received:

Hello Mr Quayum
    Sorry to hear of your troubles with the vehicle.
    As you are aware, in the case regarding this car, we simply facilitated the sale of the vehicle for a friend who has a completely separate business based next door to our premises.
    This fact was advertised, also stated many times prior to your purchase, further reiterated upon collection of the vehicle, along with being acknowledged by yourself in your attached letter, snip below;

Furthermore, as you are aware, no monies or gratuities were received through DA Car and Commercial, payment was made directly to the previous owner of the vehicle and the receipt was also issued by them.

You may be aware that we are an AA and Trading standards approved dealership, these do offer mediation and an impartial service should you be unhappy with this response, information is available online, the website is as follows - www.theaa.com/cars/site/complaints

Again, sorry to hear of your troubles, we wish you the best and hope you manage to resolve the issues with the car.

Kind regards
    DA Car and Commercial

Tags: None

Originally posted by dangar786 View Post
    I'll be brief as its a bit of a long story.
    I have read longer posts!

Is the dealer correct that the identity of the seller was made clear throughout, and that you paid this seller?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hi- he told me who owned the car at the time. He told me they were selling it on his behalf. A small part of the payment went to the owner of the car via bank transfer and the rest was paid in cash to the car dealership. The car dealership gave me a receipt.
      the car dealership advertised this car on their sales platforms and all correspondence in person and over the phone was with the car dealership.

I expected from this, my rights under CRA 2015 have not been diminished.

I have never met or dealt with the owner of the car or have their contact details.

Comment

I can advise you that (1) the Crankshaft seal requires the Gearbox needs to be removed I have never yet had to leave the seal to stand, it needs to be soaked in oil to leave it nice and supple common sense, (2) Gear Box reverse is or will develop as a problem, it means the clutches in the box is slipping,(3) Shock absolver has no bearing, either air operated or coil spring. You can confirm all these points by looking at YouTube, this will give you some idea of what is involved

Comment

A few questions:
          how old is the car?
          what was the mileage when you bought the car?
          what is the mileage now?
          what have you used the car for?
          how much did you pay for it?

Comment

Under CRA for a consumer that purchased a car from a dealer over 30 days and under 6 months from date of delivery, there are 2 remedies:

Single repair or replacement.

Generally the consumer can choose which remedy unless the cost of one remedy is disproportionate to the other i.e if the cost of repair is significantly more than replacement, the dealer can choose replacement.

If the one time repair or replacement is unsuccessful, the consumer is entitled to a refund, full (final rejection, less a deduction for use) or partial (to cover the cost of rectifying the fault(s).

Are you able to get a garage approximate estimate for the repair work whilst the car is on your drive?

If you end up making a court claim your case will be strengthened if you warn the dealer of the approx cost of option B if he refuses to repair or replace the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
              Under CRA for a consumer that purchased a car from a dealer over 30 days and under 6 months from date of delivery, there are 2 remedies:

Single repair or replacement.

Generally the consumer can choose which remedy unless the cost of one remedy is disproportionate to the other i.e if the cost of repair is significantly more than replacement, the dealer can choose replacement.

If the one time repair or replacement is unsuccessful, the consumer is entitled to a refund, full (final rejection, less a deduction for use) or partial (to cover the cost of rectifying the fault(s).

Are you able to get a garage approximate estimate for the repair work whilst the car is on your drive?

If you end up making a court claim your case will be strengthened if you warn the dealer of the approx cost of option B if he refuses to repair or replace the car.
              Hi Pezza

I have already sent a cost of the works to the company prior to any letters of an approx cost.

the dealer has denied any liability as he claims his dealership only 'facilitated' the sale. LAUGHABLE

In effective the dealer is saying I have no rights under CRA 2015 - as he has not strictly sold me the car - LAUGHABLE.

Therefore the dealer in theory is saying, if I drove away from his forecourt and the vehicle blew up (eg) then I have 0 rights. Hes saying its effectively the same as a private sale! LAUGHABLE.

In other words, he
              1. advertised the car (as fautless FYI) - on his respective websites, autotrader, facebook
              2. all dealings and correspondence was done with his company and his colleagues/employees.
              3. 80% of the cash money was handed to his employees.
              4. he wrote me out a receipt from his company
              5. they asked me for a review- for their company.

My solicitor has advised that - providing I have given them a reasonable period of time for first refusal of repair OR replacement - then I can go fix the vehicle myself. If they fail to repair OR replace within a reasonable period of time, then that remedy has failed.

My solicitor has asked me to collate 2-3 quotes for the work and go for the most cost effective one. There are obviously dangers with that because, the last thing I want is some idiot fixing the car and then having more problems - " buy cheap buy twice ".

Comment

Hi
                Definitely sounds like it is the dealer to sue.
                Do you intend to use your solicitor to write the PoC?
                If you end up using your garage to do the repairs, the claim should be under £10k and allocated to the small claims track. You won't be able to claim your solicitor's fees.
                If you decide to write the PoC yourself, my previous post is based on CRA Part 23 which you will need to refer to.

Comment

Certainly is the dealer's responsibility.

The important word in CRA 2015 is "supply" as in CRA 2015 3 (1)"This Chapter applies to a contract for a trader to supply goods to a consumer."

It does not matter if OP purchased vehicle from man next door, as it was supplied by the trader.

An analogous situation applies to the RTA 1988 sec 75 where the offence is in "supplying" an unroadworthy vehicle.
                  If a car is taken into a garage for a specific job and the mechanic notes the vehicle is unroadworthy because of another fault he would be guilty of supplying an unroadworthy vehicle if he lets the owner drive it away unrepaired
                  (Formula One Autocentres v Birmingham City Council (1999) and Devon County Council v DB Cars (2001),)

Comment

Thanks for your reply guys. It’s greatly appreciated.

I was advised to get a part 35 inspection. I have tried to arrange this but only 2 companies have got back to me and they’re not available for another 10 days.

given I need the car ASAP to use to get about family etc, the vehicle is being repaired Immediately.

in the absence of a part 35 inspection, I’ve been advised for my local mechanic to take pictures and provide me with a report of what has happened, how it’s been fixed and it’s likely the fault was there when the problem was sold.

many thanks again guys.

Comment

Originally posted by dangar786 View Post
                      it’s likely the fault was there when the problem was sold.

As the unsatisfactory condition of the vehicle has shown itself four months after delivery it is for the trader to demonstrate the fault was not present when the vehicle was delivered (CRA 2015 sec19 (14) & (15)

Comment

Thank you Des

my assumption is, because he hasn’t taken the opportunity to inspect or look at the vehicle at all, he’s basically buggered himself.

he would now be unable to prove or disprove the matter.

The judge would have to rely on my evidence

thank you

Comment

When OP offered the dealer option A or B, should OP have offered option C, a suitable replacement vehicle?

A national dealer would find it much easier to locate a replacement car than a small local dealer.

Comment

Hi Pezza

The car itself has been “styled”.

includes being wrapped in places, painted alloy wheels, tinted windows. The colour combination is why I bought the car.

It’s also had full brake discs, pads and other brake parts. The braking on the car is insane. It has a brand new gearbox last year with 37k on it. I personally have spent £xxx on getting the car detailed. I have spent £xxx on putting brand new tyres on it. The car has been remapped from 190 to 225bhp. Has the AUDI floor matts and boot Matt come with it honestly too much to name

There is no way I would want a replacement car and even still-

it would be very difficult to replace it, is my assumption

Comment

You will need to put the modifications to the car in your claim as a reason why you are unable to accept a replacement. Just don't admit to increasing engine power.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X