• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary Termination

I am at the point where I can hand my car back (don;t need it now as work from home), and the finance company said I can as gone over 50% paid. They have told me that they will come for the car at a cost of £60, take it straight to auction for it to be sold and that the difference between what they sell it for and what I owe - I will still be liable for. I researched this and can't find anywhere that this is the case - Only to hand the car back in fair, wear and tear and that will be the end of my liability - can anyone help here at all?
    Tags: None

You are correct.

Your contract terms may state there is a fee or it may not, either way when you exercise your right to VT, your liability is capped to one half of the total price. Any attempt to cause you to incur additional costs would be deemed void since it exceeds the one half cap.

Some finance companies can be difficult to handle and on some occasions they may very well affect your credit file by reporting late payments for excess mileage charges or other charges you refused to agree to, so you need to go in eyes wide open. Potentially in those situations, you may need to be prepared to go to court.

Suggest you take a read of my VT guidance document which should help answer most of your questions. Although the guidance in their is still up to date and relevant, it's probably due a refresh: https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...on-your-rights
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks Rob - so as long as the 50% has been met which then triggers my right to VT - the fee could be correct but not sending the car straight to auction for me then to be liable for any value below the redemption fee?

Comment

Yes, think of the 50% as a maximum cap on liability and nothing in the contract can alter that. Under the CCA, it says you have a duty to take reasonable car of the car and if you don't then your liability can be increased beyond the 50% but the lender will need to provide proof. What some finance companies say is that if the vehicle sells below the expected price, the car must automatically be in an unreasonable condition and so it is the hirer who has to make up the difference.

The problem with that argument is that (a) the actual sale of the vehicle at auction does not necessarily represent the true value (b) getting the auction price is contingent on interest in the vehicle, the time of the month it is being sold and actual turnout are all of these are material factors in whether the car will sell (c) it is generally accepted that cars sold at auction are not necessarily going to achieve the same price you might expect if sold privately or even are a dealership.

Long story short, the lender needs to prove that the sale price of the vehicle was actually because of the condition of it rather than the lack of interest or turnout, something they struggle to provide an answer for if challenged, and will just regurgitate the same answers that you are nonetheless liable for the difference.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X