• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Van bought as business purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Van bought as business purchase

Finally bought a (newer) second hand van under my ltd company to replace the old van bought as a sole trader.

There are a variety of faults, and to my dismay I realised i have no consumer rights regarding the purchase.

Is there anything similar for businesses?
    Tags: None

Sale of Goods Act 1979 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54

Comment

• returned this van with a 3 hr drive to have a number of issues rectified, the main issue being a most annoying rattling driving me crazy since the day of purchase and complained regularly about
      • i said politely do not return this van without fixing the rattling
      • they told me it was resolved
      • it wasnt
      • took to an independent garage that found and fixed issue on that day.
      My question is, am i able to claim this from them? it is only £126, but its more the absolute agony of having to suffer this from oct 22 - jan 24.
      It took that long as the agent i was dealing with palmed me off off for a good number of months before leaving. a number of phone calls to the dealer. arranging to trip to swap vans for a number of months. I just can't settle for it. I missed my opportunity to complain to the Financial ombudsman.

Comment

I also see there is a guide to voluntary termination under the consumer rights act, is vt not applicable to business purchase?

Comment

If you mean "could you make a court claim for the money ?" the answer is yes.
          Whether or not you would be successful is another question
          Is it worth the stress and hassle? IMO no.

voluntary termination is a right bestowed on consumers (not business) under the Consumers Credit Act 1974 Sec 99

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I'll take your advice. I am sitting here now, an hour from home, the van having packed up/ won't start. I have an auto electrician on the to hopefully diagnose the problem.. I just cant help but feel completely gutted at having spent 20k on a van that has broken down.

Comment

You can sue, but will need to prove that the van was not fit for purpose or of merchantable quality. It may be worth the stress and hassle for £20K.
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

So I am still sitting outside the pub I had a small Job at today, from 8am. £120 down from a mobile electrician visit who did not manage to resolve it. Its 430.

he said it looks like complete ecu failure. I lve had to join the rac and theyre on their way at some point. I do feel completely gutted and surely there must be someway of holding either Peugeot or the retailer accountable.

Comment

It won't be Peugeot; your claim is against the seller.
                  Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

need to know more.
                    e.g. age of van, mileage when purchased and mileage now

Purchased Oct 2022, and returned (when?) to have faults fixed.
                    Faults (except for rattle) fixed.
                    Paid £126 to have rattle fixed Jan 2024
                    Today van broken down ... possible ECU failure

I think you will have difficulty holding trader liable for ECU fault (if it is that) 20 months after purchase.

Were there other problems?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X