• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Abusive car trader - I have to go back there tomorrow (long story)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abusive car trader - I have to go back there tomorrow (long story)

Hello. I'm desperate for urgent some legal advice please. This is a long story...

There is no identifying info in my post about the person I am discussing.

I have called so many solicitors and also referral phone numbers given by Civil Aid Advice today, and relayed the story endlessly. All say they can’t help or advise me.

Unfortunately I have little time to decide what to do in my safest / best interests.
    I’ve just wrote out the whole story and it took 3.5 x word doc pages, so I’ve condensed it best I can. I apologise for the length still...

I bought a used car from a trader who owns a car repair business.
    After many problems occurred with the car that the trader couldn't or wouldn't fix, he said there was nothing wrong. I couldn’t take the car back with continual serious fault reasons.

I asked by message if they would accept the car back for a full refund – though the car was already in his possession (they have had the car with them since 4th May when it was taken to their premises by breakdown truck. I was loaned a 2008 Smart car, same day. I’ve used it twice since then, and it’s not been used for a week.

The trader has been verbally aggressive throughout. This needs to be mentioned, as I have tippy-toed around him and been very careful how I speak. I have always remained polite, but I fear him.

After messaging with my request, I called next day to see if they had received the message, as they only had a ‘message us’ form on their website. This gave me no proof of sending, so I tried to call the trader, who put the phone down on me as soon as I spoke, saying they no longer wished to speak to me.

Next day I received an email from them that states:

I do not wish to continue any further debate with you regarding this transaction and therefore, I am fully cancelling any agreement or understanding we may have had.

With Immediate effect:-

- Return the loaned vehicle.
    - You will return all vehicle documents / receipts / invoices / spare Key card and the FULL V5 document.
    - You will cease using our loan vehicle – until and only the day of returning the vehicle to us.
    - The loan vehicle will be returned in “as supplied” condition.
    - You Will attend our business premises on Wed 17th May, 2023 __am or alternatively Wed __ May 2023 __am.

You will apply your bank details to this email and return before the appointment – the full balance of £____.00 will be transferred to this account before the end of business that day.
    You will remove all / any vehicle contents from our storage facility at the time of appointment otherwise they will be immediately disposed of. (see below about this)

I called the Consumer Helpline yesterday and a case was opened / passed to Trading Standards for many reasons – they guided me.
    I also was advised to call the Police on 101, and have the threat of destruction / disposal of my property logged, because if anything else happens, it is on record.
    The Police call handler asked for the traders details and looked them up. They then said I need to go their garage with someone, but that if I go alone, “take your phone and call 999 immediately if anything escalates at all”

I tried so hard yesterday to find someone who can come with me.
    Friends are at work, and the only family member available is my daughter who would have to come with her newborn baby, but she can only be at the traders address at 1pm.

I had no choice other than to politely email him yesterday. I wrote:

While I appreciate that you have agreed to accept the car back, can I have an agreement that you will transfer the £____ refund whilst I am at your premises please? I am happy to give you the requested full / intact V5 document at the same time.
    Myself and my daughter will then immediately remove my personal contents from inside the car, and leave your premises.
    I am very keen to retrieve all of my personal effects, which amongst other items, include a toddlers car seat, isofix base and associated guiding connectors, so I ask that they and all other of my items are not disposed of please.
    I need to get a lift home from X town to X town with the personal items, but my daughter now cannot be with me to assist until 1pm.
    (I have only just learned of this, so I am giving you notice as soon as possible)
    For this reason, can I ask for a change of time to meet with you on Wednesday 17th May from 11am to 1pm please?

The trader hadn’t responded by almost 4pm today, so my son-in-law called him remining polite.
    The responses were odd and concerning...

My SIL introduced himself, and the trader was heard to laugh.
    The trader then said they won’t be at the premises themselves tomorrow, but that his son will be there to deal with matters at 1pm.

SIL said: “Will you refund my MIL before she leaves your premises please?”
    The answer was no, and that at some point a button would be pressed later that day to issue the bank transfer refund. They added: “If your Mother in law wants to sit outside and wait for the refund to appear, that’s up to her, We won’t be sitting around waiting for her to tell us she’s received it”

SIL said: “Her items inside her car, are they still in there ready to collect?”
    The answer was “No, they are packaged up and waiting to go”

That was the end of the conversation.

I’m stuck whichever way I look at it. The car is with him. He has my money, and wants a full intact V5 handed over.
    The trader has originally said, and again today a bank transfer will not be actioned whilst I am there.
    He has chosen two dates I can attend with an exact time, but will not be there themselves.

I have never been asked if the child's car seat and it’s base, or my effects could be handled / removed from my car, and I had stated my keenness to get the items back. I’m so anxious and upset, I can’t even remember every item in my car's boot.

Looking back at the trader’s first response, everything had been removed at the point of him agreeing to refund me for the car anyway, so I had no opportunity to get the items prior. He refuses to speak to me also.

Writing this, I realised I can’t use the toddlers car seat again. I can’t disprove it’s not been thrown about and the styrene inside is not damaged (which can’t be seen if lightly fractured) So the car seat is lost to me anyway.

I’ve also thought about my car insurance. I don’t even know where to start with that. I don’t even know where the car is. It won’t be at the premises tomorrow and I won’t see it again.

Options are:
    We go tomorrow, give the loaned car back which is no issue as it’s been sat unused for a week, deal with someone who has had nothing to do with the car sale at all, get back the personal possessions that we can, and hand over the full V5 document. The get out fast.
    Or
    We don’t go and everything of mine from my car is destroyed.
    I have good reason to believe the refund will not be forthcoming either way.

Can someone please help. I’ve tried so many legal avenues today and no one can help me. I have to decide what to do for the morning.

Thank you and again, I’m sorry this is so long in length.
    Tags: None

As you have rejected the vehicle and the trader has agreed to refund you I would suggest you collect your goods as arranged.
    The refund should be made in the same manner as you paid for the vehicle i.e.. cash or transfer to your debit or credit card or to your bank
    It is usual for the vehicle to be returned before the refund is made.

If the refund is not made, you initiate a court claim ... bit of a pain but that's life!

You cancel your car insurance

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

As you have rejected the vehicle and the trader has agreed to refund you I would suggest you collect your goods as arranged.
      The refund should be made in the same manner as you paid for the vehicle i.e.. cash or transfer to your debit or credit card or to your bank
      It is usual for the vehicle to be returned before the refund is made.

If the refund is not made, you initiate a court claim ... bit of a pain but that's life!

You cancel your car insurance

Hello.

Thank you for the reply, but so much doesn't sit well with me, in what is not a normal situation when a car rejection takes place...

-Not dealing with the seller tomorrow but with someone else who has had nothing to do with the car sale.
      Pre sale, the seller specifically told me to only deal with him. Today that has been reversed, by telling us to hand the car invoice receipt, entire V5 etc etc to the other person.

- Handing over the complete V5, when there is a deception of payment to come. DVLA told me the trader is to be given the yellow section only.

- Threats to destroy my property by email which the Police have logged as a 'malicious communication' (it was the Police who raised that term)

- Fear of going back to the garage because of the previous abuses. Police told me not to go there alone.

- If we don't go tomorrow at exactly X o'clock then my effects already removed by seller from the car (which is my car until I am refunded) are gone for good. We have been allowed a one chance opportunity to retrieve them, no matter what more abuse awaits.

- I also have suspicions that the car has already been technically resold.

Comment

Originally posted by Davvo View Post

Hello.

Thank you for the reply, but so much doesn't sit well with me, in what is not a normal situation when a car rejection takes place...

-Not dealing with the seller tomorrow but with someone else who has had nothing to do with the car sale.
        Pre sale, the seller specifically told me to only deal with him. Today that has been reversed, by telling us to hand the car invoice receipt, entire V5 etc etc to the other person.

- Handing over the complete V5, when there is a deception of payment to come. DVLA told me the trader is to be given the yellow section only. Correct, only hand over the yellow section (or tell DVLA on line https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2021/...-your-vehicle/) and do retain your invoice receipt

- Threats to destroy my property by email which the Police have logged as a 'malicious communication' (it was the Police who raised that term) and destroying your property could lead to a charge of criminal damage and a claim for restitution by you

- Fear of going back to the garage because of the previous abuses. Police told me not to go there alone.

- If we don't go tomorrow at exactly X o'clock then my effects already removed by seller from the car (which is my car until I am refunded) are gone for good. We have been allowed a one chance opportunity to retrieve them, no matter what more abuse awaits.

- I also have suspicions that the car has already been technically resold.
        Comments in red

This man is a bully and needs to be stopped.
        Email him and tell him he has been reported to the police for malicious communication.
        Tell him you will act according to the law and give him the yellow slip and advise DVLA by email when you have your refund
        Arrange a day when you can be accompanied and tell him that he should retain your property until you can conveniently collect it and if he disposes or destroys your property you will sue for restitution
        You will return his courtesy vehicle at the same time unless he wishes to arrange earlier collection
        Tell him that as the car has been rejected and is in his possession he should be making the refund without any delay as required by Consumer Rights Act 2015.
        If he delays you will initiate court action

Good luck

Comment

As above and a strong recommendation not to go alone.

Comment

Thank you Islandgirl and Des8.

I thought I should pop in and update. It's pretty much over (I expect the Police will contact me at some point).

Horrible experience but done.
            They only wanted to deal with us outside. I was stood on a walking stick, and my daughter was stood holding her baby. I'm not sure what they thought we would do.

The seller was there after all, despite telling my son in law yesterday that he wouldn't be.

A couple of personal items from the car are missing. I'll replace them rather than bother trying to get resolution.
            I heard them deny seeing them anyway; one being my granddaughters favourite pretend 'driving' toy that played certain songs, which bothers me more than anything. It was approx 2ft long by 1ft square, so I don't know how that was missed. The cost of the toy isn't an issue, it's that she's had it over 2 years and ELC don't sell the same model anymore. This stuff matters to kids over favourite toys, and I feel guilty.

My original payment receipt (proof of purchase) was asked for, and I politely said no, that was for me. That didn't go down very well, but I managed to keep hold of that.

The car wasn't there, so I asked for both of our personal addresses to be taken out of the internal sat nav system, as no one there knows my daughters address, and also we don't want the next buyer to see either of them. This is something I wanted to do myself, but can't.

I have the refund via bank transfer now, and that is a relief. The car seat looks ok, but the two isofix connector parts are missing. The car seat manufacturer can probably supply replacements.

I'm going to get looking for another car but it's a terrifying prospect. I left a deposit on another car prior to this one through a dealer, then I found out over 130,000 miles total had been removed off the odometer over 3 occasions when I did a history check. I was refunded quickly with no argument, and the car was sold next day.

Comment

Glad to hear that, considering your concerns, basically all went well.
              Thanks for the update and trust the search for your next car is less traumatic.

Comment

Thank you for coming back and telling us. Glad all went well(ish) in the end and that you at least got your refund

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X