• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advantage Finance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantage Finance

Hi there,

My daughter is currently on maternity leave but has been struggling to make regular payments since lockdown. A few weeks ago she got a call from a collection agent to say that she needed to make a decision to voluntarily give back the car or pay the arears. Within the email she forwarded to me Advantage confirmed the reason an agent was instructed to collect the vehicle, explained that they have reviewed all information she provided and made the decision that they cannot allow her to keep the vehicle which is unaffordable and some company ethics of how this is going against their regulatory rights which they simply are unable to do and mentioned that she was listed as a vulnerable customer. How does having a baby suddenly make you vulnerable?

I did some reading and responded to this ridiculous email quoting Section 4 from the ombudsman article Identifying and managing consumer vulnerability effectively in the age of social media They identified her as vulnerable but is not showing any support. As a mother I was disheartened and wanted to help.

I called Advantage because I am also a customer and managed to send the Advantage Legal department a copy of my own payment plan which is due to finish this month 1 year ahead of schedule. This was to prove that we were capable to help my daughter and her young family. There was no response for 2 weeks so I emailed them to get feedback to my offer but was told that they have communicated with my daughter. Yesterday my daughter got the letter alluding to the fact that they are unable to reach a reasonable resolution regarding the repayments and in order to avoid legal action she must complete the enclosed income and expenditure form with a repayment offer.

I just need to know whether we add on the income and expenditure the amount we will use for the car as additional income for her? If they don't accept the offer would my daughter have to go to court or would they just repossess the car?

Thanks, Concerned parent
    Last edited by bdiedericks; 14th April 2023, 13:55:PM.
    Tags: None

Hello

Before you decide to go through that income and expenditure form, you may want to take a step back to think about your daughter's next steps. If an agent has come to collect the vehicle it suggests to me that there is a possibility the agreement has been terminated for failing to pay the outstanding debt. It would be helpful if you could answer some of the questions below.

1. Did your daughter receive a default notice saying that she needs to pay X amount by a certain date otherwise the agreement will be terminated? Did she clear off any debt based on the default notice in time?

2. If the debt was not paid off on time then it sounds like the agreement automatically terminated and therefore legally speaking, your daughter has no rights to possess or use the vehicle.

3. Has your daughter paid at least 1/3 of the total price payable under the agreement, including all interest and other charges?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

1. Email received 14 March stated arrears currently standing at £1,928.04 and a Default Notice which was issued on 26th January 2023 not being satisfied. My daughter doesn't recall seeing the default notice but she completed an income and expenditure in November 2022 but they didn't lower her payment. Further to payments she sent an email in February to advise that she was struggling to make the payment and was advised to let Advantage know when this would be possible. Then the call from the collection agent on13th March.

2. The agreement has not been terminated according to the letter she received yesterday.

3. Yes a 1/3 has been paid but I have reviewed her account and not all the charges are paid up

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X