• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car Dealer, rejected letter handed over - what is the next step?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Dealer, rejected letter handed over - what is the next step?

- Will provide extra information as and when needed -

Returned the faulty car to the dealer with the car and a letter rejecting it (Consumer Rights 2015 Act, taken from this template) https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...r-aeziX3M7tYNw
    Dealer wasn't having none of it - car isn't faulty, wear and tear etc etc... Left the car at the premises, I've now been contacted by the dealer saying that I'll be hearing from 'Legal Advisors'

What should be my next move?

Thank you
    Last edited by D0bie85; 10th October 2022, 17:33:PM.
    Tags: None

Your next move, if you want pointers on the way forward, is to give us full information!

eg age & mileage, make & model of vehicle, price paid
    Date of delivery and date of return
    Idea of why vehicle is unsatisfactory/unfit for purpose/mis-described
    Did your letter suggest a time line for refund &/or warn you would initiate court proceedings?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

Your next move, if you want pointers on the way forward, is to give us full information!

eg age & mileage, make & model of vehicle, price paid
      Date of delivery and date of return
      Idea of why vehicle is unsatisfactory/unfit for purpose/mis-described
      Did your letter suggest a time line for refund &/or warn you would initiate court proceedings?

eg age & mileage, make & model of vehicle, price paid....... Age 2008, Mileage 62,000, Make Hyundai i30, Price paid £3900
      Date of delivery and date of return.......Purchase date 1/10/2022, Return date 8/10/2022
      Idea of why vehicle is unsatisfactory/unfit for purpose/mis-described.......Faulty clutch
      Did your letter suggest a time line for refund &/or warn you would initiate court proceedings?.......Everything written in this template letter is exactly what I wrote https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...r-aeziX3M7tYNw

Comment

Your letter before action allowed the dealer 14 days to refund the purchase price.
        You need to wait for the 14 days to lapse before you initiate your court claim

Comment

I have now received an email (attached below). I did not drop the car back to the dealer the date states on the letter
          Attached Files

Comment

They are correct in that as you rejected the vehicle within thirty days of delivery the onus is upon you to prove the vehicle was unsatisfactory when delivered.
            What was wrong with the clutch, and do you have any independent reports or other evidence confirming this?

Comment

They are correct in that as you rejected the vehicle within thirty days of delivery the onus is upon you to prove the vehicle was unsatisfactory when delivered.
              What was wrong with the clutch, and do you have any independent reports or other evidence confirming this?
              Very stiff to push down toward the floor and to keep it there, it had a very low biting point and the engine was very revvy when bringing the clutch up (needed to give a lot more gas than usual to stop it from juddering), also a noise upon lowering and raising the clutch.
              The dealers mechanic also said that it was 'not right' and 'could be' a clutch bearing. I asked him to put this in writing for me but he said he didn't want to get involved

Comment

So the dealer doesn't agree with your rejection and you have no proof ( the mechanic's comments are only hearsay).

A lot of what you complain about will be defended by the dealer saying it is perfectly normal and you just aren't used to the vehicle.
                He might be wrong, but can you prove otherwise

Quite frankly IMO you need to recover the vehicle and get an independent report before proceeding further

Comment

So the dealer doesn't agree with your rejection and you have no proof ( the mechanic's comments are only hearsay).

A lot of what you complain about will be defended by the dealer saying it is perfectly normal and you just aren't used to the vehicle.
                  He might be wrong, but can you prove otherwise

Quite frankly IMO you need to recover the vehicle and get an independent report before proceeding further
                  the onus is on myself then to prove the vehicle is faulty? I didn't know that I had to prove this? I feel the vehicle is not of satisfactory quality and faulty. Does the below have any jurisdiction?

taken from: https://www.askthecarexpert.com/clutch-problem/

"In 2015, the Consumer Rights Act came into force. It says that when the car was sold it should be of a satisfactory quality (taking into account its age and mileage), fit for purpose and as described. It gives you the right to reject the car if you find a problem with it in the first 30 days of ownership.

If you alert the (trade) seller to the problem, they should accept there was a problem when the vehicle was sold. If they don’t accept there was a problem when the vehicle was sold, they have to prove this."

Thank you again

Comment

That note is IMO misleading:

If vehicle is rejected within thirty days of delivery the onus is on the purchaser to prove the fault existed when purchased.
                    If vehicle is rejected during the next five months it is deemed that the fault existed when delivered and it is for dealer top prove otherwise

Comment

I feel totally lost here, my only option is to accept the car back? And then wait for the clutch to pack up?

Comment

The suggestion is that you recover the car and (if you are still certain there is a problem) get an independent engineer's report (eg DEKRA).
                        If they confirm the problem you then go back to dealer repeating original rejection, but seeking also the cost of the report.

Comment

Hello, a little update for contributers..... the car has now totally stopped working - when the car does turn over and decides to start it doesn't let me put it in any gear, when i try to put it into reverse gear it makes a loud grinding/crunching sound, clutch pedal has no resistance and is totally loose, when it doesn't turn over after trying to start it it's like the car has stalled/jumping

I've a dekra technician booked to inspect the vehicle

Comment

Is it a standard dekra technician report or CPR35 report that i need?

Comment

a standard technical report should be sufficient, but why have you left it so long and continued using the vehicle?

I bet the dealer will now complain you have made the situation worse and most of the damage is down to your continued use!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X