• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car dealer refusing to honour 14 day cancellation -distance selling regulation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car dealer refusing to honour 14 day cancellation -distance selling regulation

I was wondering if anybody has any advice regarding an issue with a dealership. I bought a used car recently via what I believe is a distance sale. I saw the ad on autotrader, sent a mechanic to carry out a pre-purchase inspection. I then paid a £200 deposit and then the dealer arranged to deliver the car to my home a few days later. Upon seeing the car, I started to have second thoughts. (The car was a gift for my mum), I felt pressured by the dealer and just went ahead with the purchase by sending a bank transfer for the remaining funds £7000. That evening, I called him to ask if I could return it. He refused. Since then I realised I have additional rights under distance selling regulations as stipulated within the consumer contracts legislation 2014. I learned there is a 14 day cooling off period known as the cancellation period which entitles consumers to a full refund providing the contract was concluded away from the business premises.

Armed with this knowledge, I put it in writing and emailed the dealer the following day. He took 14 days to respond via email in which he stated that the distance selling regulations do not apply as I had a mechanic inspect the vehicle on my behalf. I have since spoken to a solicitor (free consultation) who has informed me this isn't the case and my 14 day cancellation period remains under the distance selling regulations. In the email, he stated that the refund refusal is their final position but they could offer to buy the car back from me (they added bullshit about the car depreciating in value so would give me less money back). I have called to discuss it again, the dealer has told me to stop contacting him as the business will not be issuing a refund. I have enquired about solicitor fees for sending a letter before claim and have been quoted £400 and £650. Citizens advice and trading standards haven't been very helpful other than confirming that I do have the cancellation period. I feel completely stuck as the car has been on my drive for 1 month, it hasn't been touched since he delivered it.

Please can anybody give me advice? I am leaning towards paying the solicitor fees, although they have told me that the fee reflects the cost of advice and preparing the letter. My worry is about the position I would be in if the dealership ignore the letter or continue to refuse to issue the refund. Small claims court could take months and I would then have paid an additional £400 with potentially no outcome.
    Tags: None

Just send him a letter confirming you rejected the vehicle within 14 days as per your rights under the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013.
    You need to arrange to return the vehicle and inform him that if he does not refund you fully by dd.mm you will initiate a county court claim.

If no satisfactory response is received you then file a claim.

Comment

How did you pay the deposit? Credit Card, Debit Card?

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
        I felt pressured by the dealer and just went ahead with the purchase by sending a bank transfer for the remaining funds £7000.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

Just send him a letter confirming you rejected the vehicle within 14 days as per your rights under the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013.
          You need to arrange to return the vehicle and inform him that if he does not refund you fully by dd.mm you will initiate a county court claim.

If no satisfactory response is received you then file a claim.
          Thanks for your response. I sent him the letter on day 2 of the 14 day period and offered to return or pay the return fee. The timeframe I gave him has also lapsed. He has continued to refuse. I have informed him I will instruct a solicitor given that he has refused to honour my rights, he didn't respond by email but called to tell me good luck because I wont be getting a refund from him. It is very exasperating and so I guess I will have to pay this solicitor although I'm worried he will ignore the letter which could leave me out of pocket a further £400.

Comment

Originally posted by DE DOGS View Post

I felt pressured by the dealer and just went ahead with the purchase by sending a bank transfer for the remaining funds £7000.

'I saw the ad on autotrader, sent a mechanic to carry out a pre-purchase inspection. I then paid a £200 deposit'

Comment

You can start the claim using money claim online without using a solicitor. Suggest you register with MCOL so that you are ready to go.

Comment

Make a court claim for money - GOV.UK

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

'I saw the ad on autotrader, sent a mechanic to carry out a pre-purchase inspection. I then paid a £200 deposit'

I paid the deposit via bank transfer using my debit card. I tired to contact the bank but they told me that because i wasn't misold a product i needed to seek legal advice

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
                    You can start the claim using money claim online without using a solicitor. Suggest you register with MCOL so that you are ready to go.
                    Thanks for this advice. Looking at the website, I can see that I need to pay a £450 court fee. There's also a disclaimer that there might be more fees if there is a hearing or a court judgement is needed. It's so frustrating that I might need to spend all this money to get what I am owed and entitled to. If the solicitor letter before claim doesn't yield the outcome i'm hoping for I may have to sell the car on. It's so disheartening.

Comment

The solicitors Letter before Claim is completely unnecessary and will cost you without yielding a result.
                      Solicitor's letters have no more authority than your own, and it is unlikely to faze the dealer at all.

It will not be worth instructing a solicitor for court as this will be allocated to small claims track, and his costs will not be recoverable.

Youe court fees are recoverable from the defendant when you win.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                        The solicitors Letter before Claim is completely unnecessary and will cost you without yielding a result.
                        Solicitor's letters have no more authority than your own, and it is unlikely to faze the dealer at all.

It will not be worth instructing a solicitor for court as this will be allocated to small claims track, and his costs will not be recoverable.

Youe court fees are recoverable from the defendant when you win.
                        Oh that's positive. I thought that court fees weren't reimbursed if it was a small claim under £10000. I have just checked the website. That is good to know, thank you!

I'm aware the solicitor's letter won't have any authority as such. The dealer condescendingly called me 'girl' when he told me that distance selling regulations don't apply and that I don't know what I am talking about. I think he is undermining me and thinks i'm bluffing and won't actually pursue him further. I was thinking a strongly worded letter from a solicitor detailing the costs he is likely to incur should the deal go to court might sway him. I'd like this nightmare over with ASAP.

That said, i'm prepared to go ahead with a claim to small claims court but would like this to be a last resort given that the timeframes are far lengthier.
                        Is it possible to claim compensation or damages via this route. For example if I ask for £10 per day for keeping the car on my drive (hoping this generates more money over time that might even recover the £400 solicitor letter cost).

Comment

I agree with Des8 - the solicitor's letter will go straight in the bin. I doubt you can charge storage but someone else may know for certain.

Comment

Sorry, but you would not succeed in a claim for storage charges, which can only be created by contract
                            Any claim for damages would be limited to the actual loss which could be proved to have flowed from your retention of the vehicle.

Comment

Write your own LBC. Post it on here for comment before you send. Be sure to reference the legal bits correctly

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X