• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Halfords Autocentre ruined my car and refusing to pay more than repair refund.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halfords Autocentre ruined my car and refusing to pay more than repair refund.

Please help,

Long story short....

In December 2021 my car broke down.
    I contacted Halfords Autocentre who said they would look at it.
    I had it recovered to the Autocentre and after a few days they said it needed a lot done, engine sent away etc, but they could do it.
    I also asked for an MOT afterwards too.

21st January, a month later, I was told my car was fixed and MOT passed.
    When I collected the car a member of staff said it might have an oil leak and if it does to bring it back! Total repair cost £2544.54.
    They also overcharged me by over £340 but later refunded this overcharge.
    A few days later my car wouldn't start properly and the following day broke down again.
    I managed to get the car back to the Autocentre and I was told to leave it and they would look at it when they can.
    I asked about a hire car and how I was getting home but the staff member shrugged and said he could not comment.
    Also how did it pass an MOT and break down again?

I called the Halfords complaint line to open a case.
    That evening I received call from Halfords Autocentre mechanic/engineer and the first thing he said was “I know you have put in a complaint” I found this very unprofessional and a little threatening.
    He told me that he was going to look into the car with a senior technician on Friday.
    Once again I asked about a hire car and how I was going to get to work and pick up my children but he said he won’t comment or make any decision until the car was looked into to see if it was their fault.

The next day I received a call from the regional manager who said I have two options, a full refund or a new engine. He said the new engine may not solve the problems.
    He immediately offered me a full refund £2544.54, plus one week of the hire car at £500 and £200 for the inconvenience!?!!
    I said I would think about it as I was not happy with the offer. This does not come close to the costs incurred, hire cars etc, or even include any value of my car.

I felt this was offered too quickly and I wanted to speak with citizens advice.

I called Citizens advice who were very helpful and said under 2015 consumer rights act they have not taken reasonable care and skill of my car, there is consequential loss and incurred extra costs.
    At this point I was in the red with my back for being overdrawn and had to take out a £4000 loan to cover the car repair costs and hire cars.

02nd Feb 2022 I called the Halfords complaint line to ask for an update as I had not heard anything.
    Later that day the regional manager called me and I said that I was not happy with the offer and I would like the case to go to ADR.
    He said okay and he would raise it with his boss and someone would call me back.

09th February I called the Halfords complaint line for an update on ADR and was told someone will call me back.
    The Client Manager called me and asked what I was looking for? I told her that I would like the ADR details and asked her about a hire car again as I had to keep extending mine and was in week 7 or 8 of a hire car.
    Later in the day I received an Email from the Client Manager asking for all of my out of pocket receipts so I sent all my hire car costs on my bank statements.

Two weeks later 24th February I sent an email to the Client Manager asking for an update and for the details of the ADR company that I had asked for 14 days ago.
    I gave a further 7 days to respond, making a total of 21 days.
    I also said I have had the hire car for those 14 days and have had to renew for a further week.

09th March I emailed the Client Manager asking for a final response and settlement offer.

Today 15th March I received an email from the Client Manager stating the original offer from the regional manager is the final offer.

"Full refund of works completed- £2544
    One weeks hire car - £500
    Other incurred costs as a gesture of goodwill - £200
    This offer will remain open to you until 22nd March 2022. Please advise whether you would like to reconsider this as a full and final resolution."

I think this is disgusting.
    It's been almost 3 months.
    They have broken my car beyond repair, someone at Halfords has messed up.
    I'm in week 12 of a hire car costing £360 a week so I can get to work, and pick up my children.

Please advise, all advice most welcome.

Thank you.
    Tags: None

Duplicate thread

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Duplicate thread
      Yes apologies, I first posted in the 'welcome' section before discovering the 'motor' section. Newbie error sorry

Comment

Where is the car now?

If you intend to pursue this, the first thing you will need to do is arrange to have the car inspected by an independent expert. There are various vehicle inspection companies out there, so Google for one local to you, and arrange for them to view the vehicle and produce a report on its condition and the work done by the autocentre.

The autocentre have done themselves no favours in offering you a full refund on the cost of repair. If they were confident in their work they would not be doing that, so that's helpful.

Really you need to come back here and tell us what you would like to do. Your additional costs, e.g., extended hire car purchase, would be recoverable, but you will likely need to pursue a small claim in the country court to get that back.

Comment

theberenger this is a duplicate thread.
          Comments should be made on current thread: https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...fund-of-repair

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X