• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car unusable - still have finance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car unusable - still have finance

I brought a 2nd hand car last March for £6000 on finance. I paid over £780 to pass it through the mot 10.5 months later. 2 days after that the engine blew up. It will now cost £3600 for a new one. The garage won’t respond to me neither will the finance company. I can’t afford to fix it and would’ve expected it to last more than 10.5 months. I did 17k miles and had oil and filter changed after 9k miles. I also have no car. What shall I do now? Shall I just cancel the direct debit and let them take me to court? The car would only be worth about £4600 if I fixed it by putting a new engine in it. I still owe £5300 in finance if I settled now ( i’m not in a position to do this) and have 4 years left of monthly payment so will be £8k by the time I finish paying for it. I had 6 months warranty on it when I brought it.
    Tags: None

Hello

Tricky situation here, especially for second hand cars on finance.

I would not suggest you simply cancel the direct debit as it will put you in a lot more financial trouble in terms of getting other credit. The starting point is that you are responsible for ensuring the car is in a roadworthy condition and the presumption is if something is wrong then it is your job to fix it. However, you are generally not liable for damage occurring such as reasonable wear and tear - whether that extends to a car engine is something I think still needs to be tested in court.

So my first question is, have you been given the reason why the car engine stopped working? A good majority of the time normally comes down to user error either by failing to take remedial action when advised to do so or not doing something reasonably expected of you such as annual services, regular oil top ups etc.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X