• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary termination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary termination

Hi, I'm a first time poster but have read some of the threads relating to voluntary termination and would like to get an opinion on my case please. Any advice would be welcomed, here is a rundown of events.

My mother was over the 50% paid mark on a hp agreement before lockdown. Unfortunately, like many at the time, she had to take a payment holiday. Mann Island agreed a 3 month holiday. As that was nearing she was offered an extension and gratefully took the extension to her payment holiday. Mann Island never contacted her again till August 2021 when they apologised that she had "slipped through the net"
    not her fault as she was under the impression she was on a payment holiday. So I phoned Mann Island on her behalf to request a VT. The advisor told me on that call there were no arrears on the account, to which I agreed, as it was the end of a payment holiday. She told me she would speak to colleague and ring me back. When she rang back she informed me that reactivating the account meant there was now 10000+ in arrears. I did not and have not in any correspondence accept that there were arrears on the account and confirmed they should proceed with VT on more than one occasion. She told me I had to lodge a complaint with complaint dept about arrears which I did. But in the meantime, while waiting for an answer from the complaints department my mother woke up one morning to messages on her phone from her bank saying that she had gone over her overdraft limit ! Mann Island had taken 16 x £550 out of her bank ! Not the news a near 70 Yr old with a heart condition and asthma needs to waken up to. After settling her down and speaking to her bank we got her money back and I phoned Mann Island to express my discontent at what had went on. The advisor was apologetic and said to leave it with him. The next email was again apologetic for more human error and offered £150 compensation for nearly putting her in hospital and they are still demanding 10k arrears. I reiterated that the 10k is payment holiday funds NOT ARREARS. So I got an email asking for a photo of front, back, 2 sides, wheels, mot cert, mileage (177000) and last service in order to resolve swiftly and fairly. I sent what they needed and their reply I received today, in a nutshell, says ok we can take the car sell it at auction for approx 7000 and we will need compensation of over 10k for excess mileage!

Sorry for the long winded first post but I would like someone to put me right whether I'm about to start fighting a losing battle please ?
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X