• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Right to repair or am I forced to accept a refund?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right to repair or am I forced to accept a refund?

Good morning,

Five weeks ago I purchased a used vehicle from a dealership. It came with a 3 month warranty. After approx 4 weeks it developed a fault and I got in touch with the dealership. I was told that, as their nationwide group did not have an Audi branded dealership within a couple of hundred miles of me, it was agreed they’d send it to a third party ( an original Audi dealership ) for diagnosis.

When the report came back it had discovered a number of issues. The largest problem required a repair cost of £3,200 and the secondary issue carried a repair cost of £750. There was a further advisory of a gearbox oil change that had not been done despite the ‘comprehensive pre-sale checks and service’ from the dealer.

When I subsequently contacted the dealership they very flippantly said that they would take the car back, give me a ‘no quibble’ refund and ‘bang the car straight into the auctions’. This is MY car they’re referring to in such blasé terms as I had bought it outright! I explained that I wanted my car fixing and did not want merely palming off with a refund. As I write they are refusing to entertain the idea of paying for the repairs despite the vehicle being valued at £18,500. The dealership concerned is a multi million pound turnover business and not some backstreet car lot. What I am looking for is not insurmountable or in my eyes unreasonable.

If anyone can shed any light on where I stand legally with respect to potentially forcing the repair I’d be most grateful.

The company’s attitude to me now is in stark contrast to the point of sale! I understand the economics of the matter in that they may incur a small loss on this transaction but that is a fact of business, but what really pulls my chain is the utterly dismissive approach they have to my satisfaction asa customer.

Many thanks in advance!
    Tags: None

Hi CDP

Your are covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

You have the right to have the car repaired or a refund.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...th-a-used-car/

There should be a template that you can send a template, send it with Proof of Postage.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/your-le...your-car/n3307

Comment

Hmm negates the reply as they have stated a full refund. No quible.

Comment

Have you got the actual purchase date and the actual date the fault was reported to the dealer?

Comment

I would take the refund immediately and never darken the door of this dealership again. I cannot understand why anyone would wish to force a repair? Is there more to this?

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
            I would take the refund immediately and never darken the door of this dealership again. I cannot understand why anyone would wish to force a repair? Is there more to this?
            I'd used my negotiation skills to say if you want to force this refund, then I'll accept an extra £100 as a 'goodwill' gesture. That's just 'fuzzy' logic.

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
              How would a Court look at this? I totally agree with your comment.

Comment

I think you will have problems forcing the dealer to repair the vehicle.
                I refer to CRA 2015 sec 23 (3) (4)

If you agree to accept their offer of a full refund, tell them you are also looking to recover the direct costs you have incurred because of their breach of contract.
                I necessary you could initiate a separate claim for those damages.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X