• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help please, we stupidly bought a car without knowing there was outstanding finance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please, we stupidly bought a car without knowing there was outstanding finance

In March we saw a car on Facebook Marketplace. After contacting them we went to view it, agreed a price and left a small deposit. Next morning the seller delivered the car with his partner and child to my house. We went into town together and I arranged the bank transfer of the monies.
    At the end of April I was pulled up by the police who told me the car had been reported stolen 3 days after purchase.. I showed them proof of payment and after discussion with their office they said that there was a misunderstanding and let me leave with the car saying that all markers would be removed.
    In July we received a letter from Moneybarn claiming ownership of the car due to outstanding finance. I emailed them with details of the seller and said that I had bought it in good faith.
    They emailed back saying that they would investigate but instead on 3 August they turned up and took the car claiming that the car belonged to his ex girlfriend and he did not have permission to sell it.
    I've contacted the police and now have an ongoing fraud action case against the seller and possibly the girlfriend too.
    I again emailed Moneybarn again claiming ownership and informing them of the fraud investigation. I have received no reply at all.

A solicitor today told me I cannot claim ownership under the hire purchase act because he sold it to me as second inline knowing about the finance.

I really don't know where to go from here. I'm £5000 down with no car to show for it and feel sick with the unfairness of everyone gaining except me the victim of a crime.
    Tags: None

Hi Happe

Have you asked for your money back from the seller? What have they said?

Have you verified the sellers details, i.e. address etc?

So the seller collected the car he sold to you, saying 'he didn't have the right to sell it', is that correct?

Comment

Moneybarn have taken the car saying that the seller had no right to sell it as it wasn't his.
      I have verified his address, took myself back there early the other morning as saw him leave for work.
      I have written to the seller asking for a refund but he hasn't responded. I know I can go the small claims route with him but he will claim poverty and I'll get back pennies a month if I'm lucky.
      I truly believe him and girlfriend are in cahoots. She withdrew the accusation of theft from the police but has used it with the finance company.

Comment

Have you informed Facebook Marketplace of what's happened?

You should consider the small claims court, but wait until the police come back to you.

Here's some info:

https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buyin...finance/n18536

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X