• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car woes, right to reject..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car woes, right to reject..

After fun and games (and great advice!) VTing in a recent thread, I find myself with a second post around my right to reject.

​​​​​​After my old car was picked up, the replacement was purchased middle of last month. COVID measures meant that I'd comittied to the car before a proper drive, and travelled to Sheffield to collect from Cambridge from an independent dealer. To be clear, their service was great all comms so far have been really good.

After the drive home, the coolant system failed. Dealer agreed to foot the bill and it was carted off to the local branded dealership for repair and a safety recall too.

First main drive and there are still issues. Car vibrates and pulses quite badly and there has been a tyre pressure system/sensor fail. I have had all 4 wheels rebalanced (at my cost so far) to try and rectify the vibrations, but that has simply unearthed a bodged sensor fix (and the root of the sensor fail) as the thing was rattling around the tyre (in bits) covered in electrical tape. While on the ramps I got a good look around and I believe there is poor accident repair damage to the bumper too, with an obvious hacked out piece of plastic.

I've mailed the dealer, offering opportunity to investigate and repair (again) as I believe I'm obliged to under CRA2015, however if they reject or repairs are unsuccessful (of all three issues raised) are there any red flags around rejection? The sensor and drive train issues are substantial, but given the car is 4 years old yet sold as mint, where do I stand with a potentially poor repair or mod job?

For full disclosure part payment with credit card but majority debit and the car was just over 20k, so not cheap.
    Tags: None

Car FINALLY landed back with me yesterday and two of the issues I raised are still not rectified. One bodywork and there is clearly something wrong with the drive train still. Neighbour is a head mechanic for a National haulier and said he felt like there was a misfire/similar and I'm not going crazy.

Despite the time that has passed, I believe that I can effectively reject the car as its been in my possession without fault notified to the dealer for less than 10 days total, despite picking it up mid march. I've given the dealer opportunity to repair, but they have failed to do so. If advice I've read is correct, I'm not obliged with current legislation to allow a second repair and I can return?

​​​​​​​Long drive tomorrow and a decision to be made Monday I think.

Comment

Long drives complete, and I'm notifying the dealer this morning that I'm returning. Sadly, its not something I can overlook, so I'll see what the dealer has to say and whether they will play ball.

Before I commit to calling and writing, I'm sorting myself a timeline and also detailing the faults recorded. Whether it bolsters case, I've also discovered that there is a mileage discrepancy, albeing only small, so that's another nail in the coffin.

R0B's template links are broken it seems, any generic wording that can be recommended for me to add meat to?

Comment

Quad-post ahoy!

Rejection letter issued to the dealer, they're not best pleased (which is to be expected) but have been very polite. I've got all literature and all dates in place should they look to reject or counter-claim that I am outside of the 30-day window. I've owned the car since 16th March, but have always put into writing issues; I've owned the car for a total of 18 days 'fault free', notified to them.

I've followed up with a call to not blindside them, but initial feedback has me a little shaken as the first feedback was "We don't have the cash, it is sat in stock". Although understandable, this is obviously not good regardless of their intent.

As I've part paid on credit card (somewhat intentionally), I am also notifying my card provider and potentially looking to start a Section 75 claim in parallel.

Comment

You have a right to reject something faulty and you are entitled to a full refund within 30 days of purchase in most cases. After 30 days you lose the short-term right to reject the goods. You'll also have fewer rights, such as only being able to ask for a repair or replacement, or a partial refund.

Comment

Cheers MIKE770.

I believe I still sit in the 30 day window, as not only have I notified them in writing twice of issues, the last notification was on day 22 of ownership:

Purchase date 16/03/2021
            First issue raised 20/03/2021
            Returned 27/03/2021
            Second issues raised 07/04/2021
            Returned 07/05/2021
            Today 10/05/2021

From the search function, I believe that a- I've actually only owned it 18 days fault free (as per notifications to the dealer) and b- I raised the final issues on day 22 of ownership/title, so have a further 7 days (or remaining time of the 30-day period, which ever is greater) to notify. If I am wrong, than happy to be put in my place.

Comment

I wouldn't bother with Section 75. If it's anything like my experience see post:

How Much Longer Should I wait For A Section 75 Claim?

Comment

Update. Initial letter worked and the garage have been brilliant (read: not quibbled anything).

Full refund issued, including all payments I made in good faith and the car is gone. I mean I've got no car now, but a refund is a start!

Comment

Originally posted by J87H View Post
                  Update. Initial letter worked and the garage have been brilliant (read: not quibbled anything).

Full refund issued, including all payments I made in good faith and the car is gone. I mean I've got no car now, but a refund is a start!
                  Well done = good result. beware from now on!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X