• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Used Car Problem - Short Term Right To Reject advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Car Problem - Short Term Right To Reject advice

Hello, I'm looking for some advice regarding a used car my girlfriend and I purchased recently. I'll try to keep this as brief as possible.

The car: VW Tiguan 2008, 35k miles. 2 previous owners. 6 services, 5 of which were with VW. On Autotrader, described as 'stunning' and 'fantastic condition inside and out.' Key features in description (pertinent to this situation): Reverse Parking Camera, Electric panoramic sunroof.

The car was purchased via a conditional sale agreement with a finance company for £8000, including part exchange of our old car valued at £1000. Finance is under my girlfriend's name.

Dealer based in Gloucester, we live in Britsol. They offered a click and collect service.

The was driven to us for viewing in February 2021 and we had it assesed by a private mechanic. A number of faults were found and the dealer agreed to remedy them before purchase. A couple of those issues were the car nav/radio/rear parking camera system unit (multimedia system) was shorting and the electric sunroof wasn't opening/closing properly. The car was taken away to be fixed and on the 24th Feb 2021, it was driven back to down to us for the documents to be signed. All listed problems fixed, including the multimedia system and the sunroof track was 'greased'.

Problem 1: The multimedia system stopped working completely and wouldn't turn on. The dealer agreed to fix it. We drove to their garage in Gloucester, they removed the multimedia system to be sent off for repair. We also noticed the car was unusually damp and had constant condensation inside.

Problem 2: During this time we discovered severe water logging under the carpets in the entire drivers side of the car. This is obviously a major concern. We contacted the dealer again. They agreed to fix the problem. On the 18th March we, again, drove to Gloucester, where they took the car off our hands and supplied us with a courtesy car.

Week 3: A week later, on 29th March, my girlfriend went to collect the car. They said the problem was caused by a blockage in the sunroof track that they had now fixed. He said they tried their best and got most of the water out, but couldn't get it all. Estimated 90% dry. Upon driving away she realised the car smelled badly of damp and the car was filling with condensation again. There was also now a very noticeable deep scratch in the middle of the multimedia system screen, as well as the drivers side seatbelt catching. When she got home, I sat in the car, and the damp smell was very noticeable. We then noticed that the rear parking camera assistant had stopped working completely, within hours of getting it back from the garage.

I contacted the dealer last night, and they agreed to collect the car and to make repairs. I am currently holding off getting back to the dealer while I decide what course of action to take next. At this point we are looking to envoke our short term right to reject as the situation is turning into a nightmare. Our 30 days runs out soon (extended by work carried out). I contacted Citizens Advice and they suggested it seems like we have grounds and to contact the finance company.

My question is what is the best way to handle this situation going forward? Do we have grounds to reject? How should I word any communication with the finance company/dealer? I've never dealt with a situation like this so I'd like to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks for reading!
    Tags: None

[QUOTE=MrRose;n1571793]
    I contacted the dealer last night, and they agreed to collect the car and to make repairs. /QUOTE]

If you have requested or agreed to another attempt at repair you cannot exercise your right to reject until the trader fails [ CRA 2015 sec. 23 (6)]

Comment

[QUOTE=des8;n1571794]

Originally posted by MrRose View Post
      I contacted the dealer last night, and they agreed to collect the car and to make repairs. /QUOTE]

If you have requested or agreed to another attempt at repair you cannot exercise your right to reject until the trader fails [ CRA 2015 sec. 23 (6)]
      Nothing has been arranged or agreed to yet and I haven't specifically asked for repairs, if that helps.
      Last edited by MrRose; 30th March 2021, 12:17:PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Have you agreed to let him repair it?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X