• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Covid and leasing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid and leasing

Hi,

I currently have a PCP which, before covid, I was using on a regular basis. Now, the government have put us in various lockdowns and the message has always been stay home if you can etc. Now I have worked from home since March and can’t see this changing for foreseeable. I see this as my circumstances have change but outside of my control.

I’ve agreed a 4 year term at 10k per year costing £615 a month. I’m currently about 50% of the way through with 20k on the clock. I’ve only done 750 miles since March 2020. I’m lucky that my personal circumstances haven’t changed and I’m still full time employed so can still afford the repayments. I’m not in a position to VT.

my issue is, it feels like finance companies are going to be making a killing out of this situation. For example, I agreed 40k miles over 4 years which came up with the 615 figure so the finance company would be safe in the knowledge they can sell that car on for the estimated depreciation value. No problems with this. Eg if my circumstances changed, new job etc, and I handed it back 20k under the agreed mileage that’s my problem because it’s a choice I made. In the current climate, it’s not my choice that I’m not using the vehicle, it’s the rules set in place by the government. I guess my point is, why should these finance companies receive cars back way under mileage due to circumstance out of our control?

I would be happy with a reduction in payments but apparently you can’t reduce the mileage on a pcp? I don’t need a payment break as I can afford it. The other thing I’m looking into is maybe transferring the pcp to a new car (lower spec) over another 4 year period to get the monthly payments down.

any thoughts on this at all?

Tags: None

R0b I hope you don’t mind the direct tag but do you have any thoughts at all on the above?

Comment

Not sure I can add anything to be honest and I don't really see what the issue is. You ask why lenders should receive under mileage cars but that's just the way it is, and in most occasions they will receive cars back that have done tens of thousands of miles over and above the contractually agreed amount (sometimes by those who abuse their position) but there is not much they can do about it. The VT 50% amount is a balance between goods that depreciate drastically and those that don't.

You can ask the lender to reduce the mileage but I doubt they will do that, it's a variation and will be at their discretion. The CCA does cater for situations like this if you carry out a VT. Section 100(3) of the CCA says that if a court is satisfied that the 50% amount is more than the loss sustained by the lender then the court can award that. You would need to take it to court for that to be determined.

Whether you can transfer to another car you would need to speak to the relevant dealership to see if this can be done.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X