• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Private plates, VT and collection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private plates, VT and collection

Hi,

We're about to VT on an Audi Q3 which has only ever been on a private number plate and one that we'll want on a new car.

What's the process here? When BCA come to inspect and collect, will they take the car with its private plates on - and is that ok?

Or, do we need to go through Gov.uk, take the number off (£80), then get new plates made up and put on the Audi?

Presumably we would then have to notify Audi (and insurance company)?

Are we better off doing all this before sending the VT template letter?

Thanks
    Rob

Â*
    Tags: None

Hey Rob
    I'm just about to VT an Audi A7 myself with a private plate. In the brief conversation I had with Audi Finance they advised taking the plate off myself.

So, you need to go to the DVLA site for that and pay the £80 fee online.
    They should issue a new number and new V5C which you will need when handing the car back. You'll also get a certificate for the new plates to be made up. You can do that at Halfords or any good motor factor and put them on the car.
    Notify your insurance of the change in number and probably Audi Finance as well.

Only VT after you've done this otherwise you may end up accidentally handing your private plate to Audi/BCA.

I'll be interested how you get on with BCA in terms of any additional charges they think they can bring against you.

Steve

Comment

You obviously put the plate on yourself. So obviously you need to take it off yourself.

otherwise theyll take it. Then you’ll have to post your Original out.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X