• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination, Excess mileage & Alphera.....what do I do next?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary Termination, Excess mileage & Alphera.....what do I do next?

Hi all,

I am after a little advise regarding the title of this thread. I recently VT'ed my car with only 3 months left on the agreement and never missed a payment, but like most that have a PCP I have found myself in a situation whereas I have exceeded the mileage.
    I followed the guidelines and sent the letter in the template on this site back to Alphera and got the following response.....what do I do next?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear XXXXXXXX

Thank you for your email in respect of the excess mileage invoice raised on your agreement. Having taken your comments into consideration and after a full review of your agreement, please allow me to explain our final position.

We regret that we do not agree with your position that you are not liable to pay the Excess Mileage Invoice rendered following the Voluntary Termination of your Agreement on the basis that your liability was limited to 50 percent of the total price ("Total Amount Payable") under the Agreement in accordance with Section 100(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 ("the Act").

Section 99(2) of the Act

Section 99(2) of the Act provides that termination of an agreement by a customer by way of Voluntary Termination "does not affect any liability under the agreement which has accrued before the termination".

The "Excess Mileage Charges for Depreciation" and "Termination" sections of the Agreement clearly state that Excess Mileage Charges are sums that become payable under the Agreement prior to termination and as such it is clear that they are due and payable by you pursuant to Section 99(2).

The "Termination: Your Rights" section of the Agreement does not make specific reference to you having liability for charges incurred prior to termination upon Voluntary Termination of the Agreement, however, the Agreement should be read as a whole and also in the context of Section 99(2) of the Act.

You signed a Customer Acknowledgment form prior to entering into the Agreement which contains a section which states "please confirm your estimated mileage is correct on the agreement. Estimating too low may result in an excess mileage charge being payable when the agreement ends".

You ticked the box next to that section, thereby declaring not only that the mileage contained within the Agreement was suitable for your needs, but also acknowledging that an excess mileage charge may be applicable in the event that the mileage given was too low. You therefore have been in no doubt that you would have to pay Excess Mileage Charges in the event that you exceeded the agreed contractual mileage.

You then went on to sign the Agreement and by doing so was confirming that you had read and understood the Agreement and was willing to be bound by its Terms and Conditions, to include payment of an applicable Excess Mileage Charges in the event that you choose to Voluntary Terminate the Agreement.

Section 100 of the Act

Whilst Section 100(1) provides that a customer will be liable to pay a "creditor the amount (if any) by which one-half of the total price exceeds the aggregate of the sums paid and the sums due in respect of the total price immediately before the termination", Section 100(1) must be read in conjunction with Section 99(2). A customer’s liability to a creditor upon Voluntary Termination is pursuant to Section 99(2), i.e. payment of any pre-termination charges such as Excess Mileage, in addition to the limit of 50 percent of the Total Amount payable under the Act.

Further, Section 100(4) of the CCA provides that "if a debtor has contravened an obligation to take reasonable care of the goods" the amount due upon Voluntary Termination "shall be increased by the sum required to recompense the creditor for that contravention…..". This supports the "Termination" and "Termination: Your Rights" sections of the Agreement which provide your liability upon Voluntary Termination of the Agreement would be increased if reasonable care had not been taken of the Vehicle.

In this instance, mileage limitation is a fair measure of what would constitute "reasonable care" of the Vehicle given that it can affect its value upon resale. Exceeding the Maximum Total Mileage agreed upon commencement of the Agreement, is likely to have caused the Vehicle to have decreased in value more than it otherwise might have done had the agreed mileage been adhered to and you should therefore have to compensate us accordingly.

In light of this I am confident that Alphera Financial Services have not acted incorrectly by raising this invoice and consider our charge to be an accurate reflection of the additional mileage and will therefore remain payable in full.

In your letter you mention Mercedes-Benz, I must advise "The County Court Judgment between Mercedes-Benz Financial (UK) Ltd v Cahalane, does not set precedent to bind future decisions on Voluntary Termination Excess Mileage in the County Courts. Furthermore, the Court of Appeal decision is irrelevant as the charges levied against you are not a compensation charge. They are contractual charges that fall due immediately before you Voluntary Terminate".

Should you wish to discuss payment of the invoice, our Customer Accounts team can be contacted on 0370 5050 150 selecting option 4 and then 3. I must make you aware that as a regulated company we have a legal obligation to accurately report any amounts outstanding on your agreement for more than 28 days.

If you have any queries, please call us on 0370 5050 150 or email us at vehicle.logistics@bmwfs.co.uk. We are open from 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday.

Many Thanks
    Kind regards

BMW Group
    Financial Services
    Kim Overton
    Vehicle Logistics
    Summit ONE, Summit Avenue
    Farnborough
    Hampshire GU14 0FB
    Tags: None

How much is the excess mileage?

Pay up or don't pay up - nothing changes. If BMW are so confident of being able to charge then they would have no hesitation in clawing back that money through legal proceedings.

Whilst Section 100(1) provides that a customer will be liable to pay a "creditor the amount (if any) by which one-half of the total price exceeds the aggregate of the sums paid and the sums due in respect of the total price immediately before the termination", Section 100(1) must be read in conjunction with Section 99(2). A customer’s liability to a creditor upon Voluntary Termination is pursuant to Section 99(2), i.e. payment of any pre-termination charges such as Excess Mileage, in addition to the limit of 50 percent of the Total Amount payable under the Act.
    They've got it the wrong way around - s.100(1) actually says if you terminate in accordance with s.99 then you will liable to pay one half of the total price and any sums in respect of the 'total price' imediately before termination. So yes, sections 99 and 100 should be read in conjunction but 100(1) is effectively a limitation of liability, it excludes sums for compensation penalties or damages for breach of the agreement. I would argue that excess mileage is to compensate them if not it is definitely going to fall into the category of damages for breach of the agreement.

The duty under s.100(4) is reasonable care of the goods, that does not extend to pure economic loss which is what they are claiming, only physical damage beyond wear and tear in which case I would ask them ot provide evidence of that, which they can't and won't.

True, County Court decisions are not binding but certainly will be persuasive when you properly interpret the legislation and it's a pretty sound decision. BMW as far as I am aware don't take you to court, they just apply defaults on your credit file so you should take that into account when you decide to challenge this.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the quick response.

The excess mileage is £1050.

I will reply to them with the information that you have provided. I have no intention of paying them for the excess mileage no matter what they do.

I will let you know what there response is.
      Last edited by Jonny2773; 25th August 2019, 14:48:PM.

Comment

Well, before you repsond to them in a hasty fashion, can you tell me what your monthly instalments were? Could be a win-win situation for you here.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Yeah sure, I was paying £257/month.......you have my undivided attention.

Comment

Sorry I forgot to ask before, did your instalments exceed the 50% amount and if so how much so? It could be argued (as an alternative) that if s.99(2) and s.100(1) when read together, does not preclude them from recovering the excess mileage charges, then the amount you paid which exceeded 50% means that Alphera have been unjustly enriched i.e. they have been paid beyond what is required by statute and so you are entitled to the return of that money.

If the amount exceeds the amount they're claiming, then it's a win-win.
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

As stated in the original post, I VT'ed my car with only 3 months, maybe 4 left on the agreement and never missed a payment. I have included the information below from the agreement regarding payments etc....I think it works out that I paid around £12,500 if you include the first payment and the deposit.

Agreement Type - Personal Contract Purchase

Agreement APR - 10.8%

Agreement Term - 48 months

Remaining Payments - 4 months

Deposit - £ 606.01

Optional Final Payment - £ 6,515.00

Overall Amount - £ 14,493.99

Agreement Status - Voluntary Terminated

Last Payment Amount - £ 259.89

Last Payment Due Date - 25/07/2019

Payment Day of Month - 25

Payment Frequency - Monthly

Payment Method - Direct Debit

First Payment - £ 408.89

Agreement Real Duration - 44 months

Contract Real End Date - 08/08/2019

Vehicle Mileage - 88,144 miles
              Last edited by Jonny2773; 26th August 2019, 18:37:PM.

Comment

You will have to excuse my ignorance here as I am not exactly acustomed to doing things like this.

Are you saying that because I have paid more than 50% of the overall amount of £14,493.99, approximately £5200, that I could argue that they actually owe me £3150 (£5200 past 50% - £1050 excess mileage) ?

Comment

Those figures don't make sense unless I've misread something.

44 x £259.89 = £11,435.16 + £408.89 + 606.01 = £12,450.06.

How has the overall amount of £14,493.99 (assuming this is the amount paid to date) made up? Need to make sure you've got the payments nailed down before considering next steps.

Can you check your agreement and give us the figure listed in the "Termination: Your Rights" box on the front of your agreement as that is the figure you need to reach to meet the 50% mark.
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Those figures are taken directly from My account on Aphera's website.
                    After looking at the my paperwork it break down as follows

£14,493.99 is the total amount of credit.
                    Duration of agreement 48 months.
                    First repayment £408.89 (includes credit arangement fee) followed by 46 payments of £259.89 with an optional final payment of £6515

On the agreement it states the total I will have to pay is £19484.84 which seems correct.

£408.89 + £11,954.94 (46 x £259.89) + £606.01 + £6515 = £19484.84.

What I dont have in my paperwork, which I find quite strange because I have all the other paperwork that I got from the retailer at the time, is a signed credit agreement, because of this I cannot give you the figure listed in the "Termination: Your Rights" box.

I hope that this doesnt prove too much of a headache.

Comment

I have also looked in my account on the Alphera site and I cannot find anything on there, in fact the only documents are

End of Contract 6 Month Letter, dated 11/05/2019

CCA Docs Annual Statement, dated 08/05/2019

Welcome Letter, dated 11/11/2015

None of them contain the figure that you require, im sorry

Comment

It's fine, let's work off the basis that £19,484.84 is the total price payable and £14,493.99 is the total credit including interest. So 50% of £19,484.84 is £9,742.42 and you have paid to date £12,450.06, being a difference of £2,707.64.

Here's the thing, just like contract interpretation, statutory interpretation of a particular provision can only have one meaning - it can't have two meanings unless it explicitly states that.

Why does this matter? Because Alphera are interpreting s.99(2) as meaning the excess mileage is in addition to the 50% rule. As your liability under VT is capped, Alphera have benefited at the expense by receiving £2,707.64 more than what the law says you are entitled to pay i.e. they've been overpaid. This is known as unjust enrichment.

On that basis, you should be entitled to the overpayments that they've received and, offsetting their claim for excess mileage charges you should be in line for a payment of £1,657.64 - easy win. Of course I am sure Alphera will say that you aren't entitled to the overpayments but on what basis? They can't have it both ways - by keeping the overpayments and then an additional sum of money covering excess mileage is inherently unfair. Nothing in the CCA that I am aware of prohibits you from recovering overpayments. All is fair in love and war.

So if I was in your position, I would be writing to them along the lines of the above and requesting a cheque for the overdue amount otherwise you will consider your options, including legal proceedings. Whether you pursue that option is entirely up to you and it's not guaranteed, but the fatc that they have explicitly stated in a letter their interpretation of s.99(2) it would be very difficult for them to go back on that.
                        LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Thank Rob,

I will compile a letter to them stating the above, your help on this matter is very much appreciated.

Comment

I am in exactly the same position with Alphera, would be interested to find out how you got on with the overpayment question.

Comment

Originally posted by Buts64 View Post
                              I am in exactly the same position with Alphera, would be interested to find out how you got on with the overpayment question.
                              I have just got a letter back from them this morning. I am currently getting ready to go to the football match so I will post it on here later today/tomorrow.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X