• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntry Termination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntry Termination

Hi All,

I have a car on Hire Purchase though advantage finance. As I have now paid over 50% of the agreement I am going to exercise my right to voluntary terminate.

The car is over 6 years old and as has had multiple owners the car is still in pretty good condition due to its age. Minus a missing wheel trim!

I am awaiting delivery of my new car before I take the old one back.

My question is should I sign any damage reports or sign anything when I hand the car back? I only ask because I hear horror stories of people handing cars back then getting charges etc. Do I legally need to sign anything or can I just drop the car off?

They have also said they can collect the car but for an £80 charge or I can drop it off. can they charge for collecting?

I've sent an email and informed them I want to VT they sent a response back with instructions. Am I best sending a formal letter via email?

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by MaccLad91; 29th July 2019, 09:37:AM.
    Tags: None

Amethyst You any idea? you seem very clued up about this stuff x

Comment

There is an excellent guide by R0b here https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...on-your-rights
      which covers most points and links to templated letters but any specific questions feel free to ask xxx
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Amethyst That's amazing thank you!

Comment

That guide is due for an update as these questions get answered all the time so I am minded to add an FAQ section (when I get round to it) to cover these points.

Whether you want to drop off or collect is up to you but the collection fees are not a recoverable charge - you might want to focus your attention to the definitions in Section 5 of the VT Guide, particularly reference to section 173 of the CCA.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
            That guide is due for an update as these questions get answered all the time so I am minded to add an FAQ section (when I get round to it) to cover these points.

Whether you want to drop off or collect is up to you but the collection fees are not a recoverable charge - you might want to focus your attention to the definitions in Section 5 of the VT Guide, particularly reference to section 173 of the CCA.
            Thank you R0b!!

The place where I need to drop it off is only 15 miles away so it seems easier just to take it there. When does the VT start? I have £189 to pay to take me over the 50% mark once I have paid this will and dropped the car off will that be it? . I will pay this today. They have said I need to make an appointment to take the car back.

Comment

Starts the moment you give notice in writing, assuming you've given a date of termination.

The rest of your questions are all answered in the VT guide - rather than responding bit-piece, I suggest you read that first.
              If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER
              Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks R0b I've read though! Lot's of information! really helped!!

Does this look ok to send?
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks fine generally (since it is the template I provided ) but the last sentence I would just improve upon for clarity. Something like:

As agreed with your <name of department> on <insert date> I will deliver the vehicle to the Stoneacre dealership at <insert address> on 4th august 2019.

I don't think you need to specifically refer to doing this at your own expense but is up to you. The above wording just clarifies the address that the car will be delivered to and also to confirm that this arrangement was agreed with the relevant department. If you can include a name that would be even more helpful in case something goes wrong on or after delivery.
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Thanks R0b Appreciate the template!! will let you know how I get on

Comment

R0b Ive just spoken to the finance company and they have confirmed they have received my VT letter. They did say that even after I have dropped off the car that my agreement won’t be ended till a bodywork report has been done and it has sold in auction. Is this correct?

Comment

I’ve also agreed to take the car back today.

Comment

R0b sorry to butt in - but what would you say is a reasonable distance to be expected to take your car back? I've been asked to take it back to an address over 50+ miles away, which seems excessive!

Comment

I had taken GAP & Warranty out with my car and because I have VT it I am due a refund.

I have received a letter of FOW who I bought the car from with a breakdown of the refund.

Because I made 2 claims on the warranty I am not due a refund. (The first one was a few weeks after I got the car the gear box dropped out and FOW said they would repair but they claimed on the warranty without me knowing)

I am due a £58 refund on the GAP but there is an admin fee of £50 so I’ll receive a refund of £8.

Firstly £50 admins fee seems very excessive. Can they charge me this?

Can the warranty refuse a refund because I have claimed?

I am guessing this will all be contractual?

R0b Amethyst
                            Any ideas

Comment

I reckon 50 quid for admin is a bit excessive but that might be within the range of fees insurers charge. Still seems pretty excessive for pressing a few buttons.

But yes, check the contract. Not claiming a refund because of a warranty claim could also be unfair and excessive.
                              LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X