• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination done excess mileage charge pursued by Finance company Solicitor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary Termination done excess mileage charge pursued by Finance company Solicitor

Hello,

I have been using this site for guidance looking at other posts and using the templates. I am now being pursued by the finance company Solicitor for excess mileage charges so have joined as a member.

Background:

I recently did a Voluntary Termination after making over 50% of the payments to Porsche Financial Services (VW) on a Porsche Cayenne. It was 3 years old ( 4 year agreement) and over 50% paid so no actual arguments from them on handing the car back and ending the agreement. The car was collected by someone from BCA and their assessment of the car was that it was in perfectly reasonable condition and therefore no bill was issued or requested. I also received notification that the contract had been terminated and have a letter stating this. All good so far.

Then I received a letter from the collections department of VW Financial Services sting I owed them for excess mileage charges.
    I responded with an email using the templates provided and received the following response in way of a letter:

Your Complaint

My understanding of your compliant is as follows:

You deny liability for any excess mileage charges under your solutions agreement following the Voluntary Termination, as you do not believe this is chargeable under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 once you have paid 50% of the total amount payable.

My Investigation

You refer to Section 99 and 100 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 but have failed to note the specific section 99 (2) explicitly states that 'Termination of an agreement under subsection 1 [the right to terminate] does not affect the liability under the agreement which has accrued before the termination.'

As excess mileage is a fundamental contractual term, you are asked to predict your mileage prior to entering into the contractual arrangement and the finance is calculated taking into account the depreciation of the vehicle based on the mileage you selected. This is clearly set out in your pre-contractual information, the front page of your agreement and clause 11 of your terms.

Clause 11 is worded as follows:-
    11.1 If the vehicle covers more than:
    - the Maximum annual mileage in any succeeding period of 12 months starting from the making of this Agreement and/or
    - the Maximum Total mileage:
    you will be liable to pay us the excess mileage charge shown on page 1. That liability will accrue with each mile covered by the vehicle in excess of those mileages. You must discharge that liability by paying us on demand.

11.2 If you have paid excess mileage charges in relation to the maximum annual mileage we will deduct this amount from any excess mileage charges payable in relation to the maximum total mileage.

11.4 If this agreement terminates early, we will reduce the maximum total mileage in the proportion which the actual period of hire bears to the period of hire bears to the period of hire originally agreed. Any excess mileage charge will be recalculated using that reduced maximum total mileage.

Clause 11 is worded to ensure that liability for the excess mileage occurs prior to termination and therefore you remain fully liable for any excess mileage which is over and above that which you had originally selected. Our Agreements are drafted by leading counsel in consumer credit therefore we are confident that they are not inconsistent with the Act.

As I also pointed to to them that not only did I tell the Salesman at point of contract that I would do more miles than stated and he said don't worry about it, we will get you out before the end of the contract and it won't matter and also on 2 or 3 separate occasions VT was actually brought up by their Salesman in trying to get me to upgrade early without cost, they have directed me towards the Financial Ombudsman Service.

However they have now passed the 'debt' of excess mileage to their Solicitors, Lester Aldridge.

Any advice please?

Thank you

Tags: None

How much are the excess mileage fees and were you with anyone when the salesman made that statement to you? Lesson to learn here is that anything fundamental such as that should be written down and confirmed, never rely on someone's word as proof or evidence.

FOS are currently looking at the situation because Mercedes tried to go to court over excess mileage and lost on number of points. The fact that the contract has been drafted by a leading counsel is irrelevant and doesn't mean that it isn't inconsistent as Mercedes found out when they lost.

I would suggest you make a formal complaint to the FOS to put a hold on Porsche taking legal action through Lester Aldridge, assuming you are still within the 6 month period. You can find a complaint's pack in the link below that should assist you.

https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...ileage-dispute

I would then write to Porsche and Lester Aldridge explaining that you've exercised your right to make a formal complaint to the FOS and therefore any further action should be put on hold until the outcome of that decision. Any failure to comply is a breach of Porsche's obligations under the FCA rules, specifically the CONC Handbook and you will report Porsche to the FCA's enforcement team as well as reserve any right to pursue damges and/or compensation due to non-compliance.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi,

The excess mileage fees are £12,795 so quite severe.
      Unfortunately no, I was alone at the time when speaking to the Salesman about the contract mileage.

I saw the previous post regarding the Mercedes case losing in court and wondered if I should respond with this as well as telling them I will complain to the Financial Ombudsman. Yes, it is within the 6 month period. I handed the car back at the end of May this year.

Are Porsche allowed to pass my case details to Lester Aldridge without my prior consent under DPA rules??

Thank you

Comment

Are Porsche allowed to pass my case details to Lester Aldridge without my prior consent under DPA rules??
        Yes they are, otherwise nobody would ever be able to use solicitors and they would be non-existent.

Well, that's a hefty amount. Yes you could the Mercedes case as a rebuttal but given than we are talking a five figure sum, it would not surprise me if they do try to push that to court. So as it stands you should definitely force it on hold by complaining to the Ombudsman which will delay any legal proceedings until a decision is made but that's your choice.

The link below has an example response which is based on a similar reply by Porsche so you could use that to form the basis of your letter. You can then add on to the end of it about making a formal complaint to the Financial Ombudsman so they should hold off pursuing the debt until that outcome has been reached.

https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...s-benz-finance

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

OK Will do - thank you

Comment

Originally posted by KB3 View Post
            OK Will do - thank you
            I have now received a threatening letter from the Solicitors, Lester Aldridge threatening court action if no payment made within 30 days. I have responded with a letter stating I have written to FOS and also with details of Mercedes case and why I think the excess mileage charge cannot be charged.

I will update with further news as the case progresses.

Comment

You might also want to point out to them that their client's continued pursuit of this dispute and threats of legal action is contrary to their client's regulatory obligations under the CONC rules. The CONC rules confirm as a mandatory rule, that creditors should cease all further action whilst there is an open complaint which in this case there is as you have raised the matter to the FOS.

In addition to the above, you may also want to make it clear that if they persist and commence legal proceedings then you will seek an immediate application for a stay of proceedings and obtain an order for costs incidental to the application and on an indemnity basis, whilst reserving the right to draw bring this letter/email to the court's attention on the matter of costs.

As an added measure and to call their bluff, you could also thrown in a threat to reporting them to the SRA
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post

Yes they are, otherwise nobody would ever be able to use solicitors and they would be non-existent.

Well, that's a hefty amount. Yes you could the Mercedes case as a rebuttal but given than we are talking a five figure sum, it would not surprise me if they do try to push that to court. So as it stands you should definitely force it on hold by complaining to the Ombudsman which will delay any legal proceedings until a decision is made but that's your choice.

The link below has an example response which is based on a similar reply by Porsche so you could use that to form the basis of your letter. You can then add on to the end of it about making a formal complaint to the Financial Ombudsman so they should hold off pursuing the debt until that outcome has been reached.

https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...s-benz-finance
                Hi (new to the site) - Currently going through something similar with VWFS Porsche. Interested to know if the OP was able to share the outcome of their battle if they've had one or any progress they've made or not.*

Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X