• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PLEASE HELP!! Black Horse end of PCP Charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLEASE HELP!! Black Horse end of PCP Charges

Hi,

We took a Discovery Sport on a 12 month PCP which has recently ended. The car was collected from our house & inspected which took maybe 20 mins. The guy who carried out the inspection logged no issues & I countersigned this.

Today we received a letter stating we are over our mileage (which obviously we were aware of so isn’t an issue) however they also have photos of-
    a tiny scratch on the outside of the car measuring exactly 10mm (their cut off)
    supposedly a scratch on the inside driver’s door but I can’t see a thing on the photo
    damage to the 2 rear seats (leather) caused by our 2 children’s car seats

The mileage charge which we were expecting is just shy of £900, the ‘damage’ is an additional £1800!!

Can I argue that the gentleman who collected the vehicle found no damage & therefore any findings from further inspections are disputed? Or do I accept the findings and argue the seat damage (which makes up nearly all of the charges) is fair wear and tear? We’re legally obliged to use car seats- our children are 4 years old & 5 months old. The wear this has caused to the seats is completely unavoidable & I‘d call this normal usage. The seat protectors you can get to put under children’s car seats aren’t recommended as they can compromise the performance of the seat on an impact.

I really don’t know what to do from here & any help would be hugely appreciated. I’m currently on maternity leave & these charges would force me to return to work within weeks. Thank you
    Tags: None

Unless you exercised your right to terminate the agreement under Section 99 of the Consumer Credit Act before the final payment was due, you are going to be stuck with paying the £900 for excess mileage charges, unless you can prove that you were mis-sold the finance or the pence per mile rate is excessively high.

As for the damage caused to the seats, you will need to provide some evidence that seat protectors are not recommended if that's what you are relying on. An article from the Daily Mail won't cut it so you will need something like a study or something that has authoritative weight behind it. Alternatively, you rely on the argument that the car was a family vehicle with two young children and therefore BH should take account of that fact. It would be unfair for BH to apply a broad brush approach to the requirement of taking reasonable care of the car rather it is largely fact specific; a family car is likely to sustain more wear and tear / minor damage than a single person who has no partner and no children.

Was the car brand new or second hand (if yes, how old)?

Once you've gathered your facts, the next step is to make a formal complaint to BH and outline your reasons as to why you think the charges are unfair.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks Rob, yes the mileage charges aren’t an issue, we expected to pay these. The car was brand new.

Do you think I’m better off disputing the charges on the basis it’s fair wear and tear or disputing on the grounds that the inspection when the car was taken away indicated no damage whatsoever?

Thanks for your help

Comment

Dispute and plead both arguments as alternatives.

First argument is that the first inspection deemed there to be no damage which meant that the car was in a reasonable condition at the time of collection. Therefore any damage must have occurred between collection and the date of inspection (was there a gap?).

Alternatively, your second argument is that the car was in a reasonable condition taking into account the fact it was used as a family car and that it is inherently unfair for one to be substantially penalised when you were complying with your legal obligations i.e. the use of car seats for young children.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X