• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

VW Finance - Excess Mileage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW Finance - Excess Mileage

Hi all,

Look for some help regarding a response I received from Blake Morgan following a letter i sent to them regarding excess mileage, I used the template 'disputing excess mileage'.

I received the attached document this morning along with the BCA vehicle report which reported damaged alloys, all of which I paid for as part of the fair wear and tear agreement. I am not sure if this is related however I did receive a document earlier in the week from VW finance saying my outstanding balance was £0 (have they passed this onto Blake Morgan)?

Not really sure how to respond to the attached therefore any help / advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Carl

Attached Files
    Tags: r0b

Dear Sir or Madam,

I do not agree with the contents of your letter dated [DATE], for the reasons set out below.

First, I should point out that the points raised in your letter were exactly the same arguments raised by Mercedes in the County Court case Mercedes-Benz Financial Services UK Limited v Cahalane (Willesden County Court 26 February 2018). Unfortunately, Mercedes lost their claim for the following reasons:

1. it was rejected that the excess mileage charges were rolling throughout the contract. The excess mileage charges only accrued by crystallising on termination. The judge stated that she was further bound by the Court of Appeal decision in Julian Hodge Bank v Malcolm John Hall [1997] WL 1103662. In any event, the judge confirmed that the definition of 'total price' excluded that the excess mileage charges did not fall within the definition of total price under Section 100(1).

2. As to the reasonable care argument, that also failed because the judge found no correlation between the excess mileage and the condition of the car.

Second, I am somewhat baffled that your client appears to rely on 100(4) for the basis of claiming excess mileage charges yet you are applying the contractual formula which, have already pointed out, Section 100(1) liability is limited to one half of the total price. Please can you explain to me the basis on which you can rely on the contractual terms despite liability being limited on termination.

Nonetheless, the correct standard when applying the reasonable care test is the negligent standard in tort, not the contractual one as you appear to be suggesting. I would refer you to Jarvis v Moy, Davies, Smith, Vandervell and Company [1936] 1 K.B. 399, where Lord Justice Greer said the following:

"where the breach of duty alleged arises out of a liability independently of the personal obligation undertaken by contract, it is tort, and it may be tort even though there may happen to be a contract between the parties, if the duty in fact arises independently of that contract."

Given that Section 100(4) arises independently of the contractual agreement, any breach under this provision must therefore be treated as tortious damages. As far as I understand, your client's claim is, in reality, a claim for pure economic loss and, as I am sure you will no doubt be aware, pure economic loss is not a recoverable head under the law of tort. Indeed, the authority for this is White v Jones [1995] 2 A.C. 207 in which Lord Browne-Wilkinson confirmed that:

"The law of England does not impose any general duty of care to avoid negligent misstatements or to avoid causing pure economic loss even if economic damage to the plaintiff was foreseeable."

Finally, your reference to the Financial Ombudsman's decision on excess mileage is somewhat out of date. Since the Mercedes-Benz decision it is now reviewing its decisions on complaints of excess mileage. From where I am standing, it seems that your client has no reasonable grounds for pursuing the excess mileage charges and you may wish to revert to your client for further instructions.

I trust that my position outlined above is clear to you and do not find it necessary to engage in any further discussion on the matter, since I have previously informed your client of the same.
    Last edited by R0b; 16th March 2019, 15:21:PM.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X