• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Doing VT whilst out of the country (Advantage finance)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing VT whilst out of the country (Advantage finance)

Hi I'd like some advice please. I'm currently living abroad (south Africa) and have my car parked up in a secure underground carpark. For a number of different reasons I can't keep on paying for the finance and also I'm not sure if I'm likely to return to the UK anytime in the next 6 months so the car isn't very useful. I have paid 3 of the 5 years.

Advantage finance have accepted my request for VT and i don't owe them anything according to the letter so it should be straightforward return of the car. However as I'm not able to fly back yet due to reduced funds I wanted to know if it's possible to get a relative to sort it for me. I'm going to have to go with the £80 option of the finance company collecting the car but I wanted to know if it has to be the car's registered address or can I choose where it is collected from?

Also can anyone talk me through what exactly happens so I can be prepared. They weren't very helpful on the phone. For instance, does the car get towed? Do they need my signature? Does it need to be insured on the day? The car is currently SORN and MOT expired December but condition of car is good so it'll likely pass but do I need to mot it for them to collect it? Also when can I cancel my direct debit? Next payment is due 28th of this month and car needs to be returned within 21 days.

Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Ah jeez, keyboard messing around. Title should say Doing VT whilst out of the country (advantage finance)

also the car is permanently in the UK , I just travel frequently and no longer need it

Comment

Hello

This link to my VT Guide should explain everything you need to know. There is a non-exhaustive checklist on what to do before the car is collected and there is further supplementary information added at the end where refurbishment charges are raised following an inspection.

In answer to your other questions:

1. There is nothing stopping you from nominating someone to act on your behalf. You should notify Advantage of this in advance so they are aware.

2. I see no reason why the car cannot be collected from an address other than your home address, either way you still pay the relevant collection fee and you are only required to make the car available to them. Again you should give notice of the address where the car needs to be collected from.

3. What the £80 cost covers is something we cannot tell you and I would suggest you consult your contract as it should list the charges there. Generally, the cost would cover collection of the car that is already taxed and insured. Usually where the car requires a tow truck or flatbed then that would be an increased charge which again, should be set out in your contract. If the cost only states one collection fee then it is reasonable to assume that would include their costs of recovery using a tow truck or flatbed. Any attempt to charge a higher rate would fall outside of the contract arrangement.

I would also suggest you inform them that the car is without tax or insurance because if they turn up unaware that the car has no tax (or insurance) then they will likely abort the collection and bill you for the abortion plus a further (increased) fee to use a tow truck or flatbed. In that instance I would agree they should be entitled to charge because you had failed to given them relevant details which affects the collection agent's right to drive the car on a public road.

4. Once you have given notice and you are comfortable they have received it (which seems to be the case here) you can safely cancel your direct debit. Some lenders might argue you are liable to continue making the instalments until the car is collected but that is not true and generally comes from finance companies who don't have a clue about basic contract law or the provisions of the Consumer Credit Act.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for your advice rob .I spoke to them today and the lady on the phone was very unsure of herself.

1) she said she can't disclose the name or any contact information about the collection company until I pay the£80 collection fee over the phone and then after payment is confirmed they'll pass my details onto the company for them to contact me to arrange suitable collection date (which she has no idea how long this could take).I asked why and she says it's just their policy.

2) she confirmed it'll be taken on a recovery truck either way so it being SORN doesn't matter (we'll see on the day I guess)

3)When I asked if I could arrange transport myself to the collection company she said she couldn't tell me their name but only that they have a branch 6 miles from my registered address in Kent and if I want it collected in London (where car is parked) the closest branch is still in Kent. I gave her 3 different postcodes to see if any other branches within the M25 she said no Kent is the closest. I really thought they use the collection company i keep seeing mentioned on the forums (Anaheim?)

4) apparently i can post advantage finance my car documents (v5, service book log book etc etc) but any missing items is charged at £25 each. First she said the agent won't accept the car without the paperwork then said actually they will but I shouldn't send them the paperwork, it should be sent instead to the finance company.

5) lastly she said the collection company will call if they're in my area to arrange collection. I explained that firstly I'm out of the country and I'm arranging for someone to handover the car so I'll need a date at the very least so I can let them know to be around and secondly the car is parked in an underground secure car park so they won't be able to access the car without a fob to get in so again I'll need some notice. So I asked again if it's possible to have their contact details so I can get the ball rolling and finalise a date. Again this is not allowed until I pay upfront and also that they are based everywhere so just depends when they're nearby

So

If I decide to take the car there myself they may be able to give further details of the location but she said she needs to check on that first. Maybe I'm being skeptical but it all sounded very odd. I was willing to pay the collection costs but I don't like the idea of waiting potentially weeks to hear back from them on a collection date. Especially as I'll still be liable for the parking fees whilst the car is parked there.

So Im thinking I might be better off putting that £80 towards paying for a private tow company to take the car and drop it off outside the 'mysterious' location (once they give it to me) and have my relative meet them at the location whenever they're finally ready to take the car. due to not being in the country I don't really have the time or resources to do the long waiting game and I know they'll expect the next payment at end of month if the car hasn't been collected even though its not being used. Should i just make my own plans to get things moving quickly?

Comment

First of all, if you had read my guide collection charges are not recoverable because they impose additional liability under the contract beyond the 50% rule. Your only duty once the agreement has terminated is to make the car available to them, so I am assuming you are happy to pay the £80 fee on the basis of your posts.

Seems a bit odd why they won't give you the details unless you pay first but if it's their policy then it is their policy and not much you can do that. Manheim and BCA are both vehicle auctioneers who have multiple sites across the UK so it could be them making the collection or it could very well be someone local (which happened in my case with Santander when I VT'd my agreement).

Either way, it's up to you really as to what you want to do. If you pay the £80 then you would expect the vehicle to be picked up within a reasonable period of time i.e. 2-3 weeks at best. Anything longer than that you could (if you wanted) to charge them storage of the vehicle but if you are out of the country I'm not sure what benefit that is to you.

Be careful, if you make your own plans not authorised by Vauxhall, the onus still remains on you to ensure the car is looked after. This is a rookie mistake by some people who get frustrated by lenders doing nothing or taking their time in collection and I have heard on a couple of occasions this has backfired when there has been damage to the car. Simply put, responsibility of the car lies with you until such a time that the lender has agreed a delivery location or it has taken possession of the car itself or via an agent.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X