• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Barclays - Fixed sum loan with balloon payment???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barclays - Fixed sum loan with balloon payment???

Hi All,

I need some assistance as I have been under the impression that I had a PCP agreement with Barclays partner finance, however after receiving a copy of my finance agreement recently (left my old one at my exs) it is headed fixed sum loan.

Now the issue is, my agreement states I need to make a final payment of £5k? (Which I take is a balloon payment) I didn't think fixed sum loans had final repayments? (Balloon payments)

Please can someone assist!
    Tags: None

Hello

From looking at BPF's website, it looks as though you might have accepted a personal motor loan with a balloon payment. A fixed sum loan agreement is essentially a personal loan which is used specifically to pay for the car and then you own it from the start (the agreement should say who owns it).

Personally, I don't like these agreements and in my mind they have the hallmarks of a conditional sale agreement without your right to VT the agreement. It has been known for dealers to say that they will offer you a PCP or other type of hire purchase agreement, and give you all the pre-contractual documentation but then at some point it is switched to a fixed sum loan agreement without your knowledge.

The only real way to challenge something like this would be to take the matter to court, and let a judge decide whether the fixed sum loan with balloon payment is another type of agreement or if it is simply a type of hire purchase agreement.

Really depends on your reasons for asking and whether it affects you in any way. I would say however, you need to perhaps pay more attention to what's being offered to you, unless of course you were mislead and in which case you should make a formal complaint, but you'd need to evidence it as on the face of it, you have a fixed sum loan.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the quick reply, I was most definitely mislead as the salesman did advise me it was a PCP and to make matters worse the dealership no longer exists...

To be honest, my financial situation hasn't changed too much so its not too big of a deal, but I am soon moving to a location where I wont be using it as much is all.

Thanks for your assistance.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X