• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination - 50% Calculation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary Termination - 50% Calculation

Hi,

A question for R0b

In the "Guide to voluntary termination: your rights" that is posted on here, it shows how to calculate how much you have paid in order to compare to the 50% VT amount in the agreement.
    The example shows 27 payments of £236.22 but does not mention the deposit paid.

If someone put a deposit down of say £500 and their was a dealer or finance company deposit contribution of say £1,500 - then I assume that this £2,000 also counts towards meeting the 50% VT point as well as the instalment payments made?

Thank You

Mark

Yes it should do.

Definition of deposit as outlined in the Consumer Credit Act:

“deposit” means any sum payable by a debtor or hirer by way of deposit or down-payment, or credited or to be credited to him on account of any deposit or down-payment, whether the sum is to be or has been paid to the creditor or owner or any other person, or is to be or has been discharged by a payment of money or a transfer or delivery of goods or by any other means
    The definition is wide enough to include both your deposit and any dealer contribution deposit in which case the £2,000 would be an amount contributed to the total price payable and thus reducing the payments. It should therefore count towards the VT amount but be prepared for the lender to argue that their contribution doesn't.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks R0b, I suspect many must have come up against this as its common these days to have a dealer deposit contribution or finance company contribution and without it a lot of people wouldn’t meet 50% during the term hence VT would not possible.

If they raise it I wonder if another way of looking at it is you need to have paid 50% of the total amount payable and therefore have 50% or less to pay. To prove that you could add the remaining instalments due and the final balloon payment due which if they are 50% or less, proves at least 50% must have been paid.

Would their case to reject a deposit contribution as part of the calculation be stronger if it is a "finance company contribution" vs a "dealer contribution" towards the deposit?

Thank You

Mark

Comment

Honestly, I am not sure how they would look to raise the objection but I vaguely recall someone on here who had a fairly expensive BMW vehicle and there was a dealer contribution of £1,000 and BMW tried to claim that it doesn't count towards the amount paid for VT purposes.

But if the contribution is not a deposit, then what is it? is it deducted from the vehicle sale price? If neither, then to me it would appear to be misleading or deceiving because ultimately it meant nothing. Anyway, I think finance companies would struggle to argue that a dealer or finance contribution is not a deposit or down-payment of some kind and irresepective of whether you made that down payment, it is still a down payment towards the total credit.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X