• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Appeal unsuccessful POPLA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appeal unsuccessful POPLA

I am wondering if I have anywhere else to go with a very unfair parking ticket.
    I had an appointment at hospital for my son. There were two options: pay in advance on arrival or pay when leaving. I chose to pay when leaving.
    I went to the machine, it requested my registration number, I entered the reg, an amount was displayed and then I put in my card and paid the requested amount and then left.
    A few weeks later a fine came in the post. I appealed directly with 'parking eye's but this was unsuccessful . I then had the option to appeal with POPLA. I received the email yesterday tgat this has also been unsuccessful .
    I am so disappointed. I paid the amount the machine requested.
    They are saying I paid for insufficient time. I do not even know how it would be possible to do that because I entered my registration so it was clear how long is been there. I did not enter a time. I just paid the requested amount.
    POPLA have said I now have to pay the fine which is £100.
    My question is... can I do any thing else? It's so unjust.
    Tags: None

So what was your POPLA appeal? Has the payment shown on your statement? It's a sheame you let them know the identity of the driver, it sounds as though the Notice to Keeper came after 14 days.

Comment

The payment did show on my bank statement, which I submitted as evidence. I paid for parking at 15.09pm on my leaving the hospital. The parking company said I paid for 1 hours parking, from 15.09pm until 16.09pm.
      they had photo evidence of me leaving shortly after I paid. I believe the machine made an error of some sort.
      They had photo evidence to support the time I arrived and the time I left.
      I paid on exit and paid the amount the machine generated when I entered my registration .
      As I had already been at the hospital a while before leaving, the machine should have my details already on the system. I clearly would not pay for an hour ahead and then leave.
      I honestly thought common sense would prevail and the fine would be invalid.
      Are there any further options?

Comment

When there is parking companies involved there is no common sense. I would just wait now for the letters to start coming. Ignore them but file. When you get a letter before claim then comes back. I think a court would be more than happy to find in your favour.

Comment

I'll be honest, I'm a bit scared to ignore it now. It's clear common sense is void in this case. I'd be worried about my credit record too.
          I feel I've got to pay it so the cost doesn't escalate now. I simply don't know where else to take it.
          one thing the citizen advice website suggested was to report them to trading standards, however it did also state I have to pay once POPLA makes a decision.
          I'm so gutted....

Comment

There will be no mark on your credit record unless it gets to court and IF you lose and IF you don't pay within a month. They can't just get a judgment in court without you knowing about it and having the chance to defend. If it gets to court then PE normally claim about £175 for a £100 charge. It is in small claims court and the claiming of legal costs is strictly limited. The Notice to Keeper you received is an invoice and they have to prove they have the right to make that charge. If what you say is correct then I would think that a court would agree with you.

Yet again Citizens Advice is wrong again. There is no requirement to pay if POPLA decline your appeal, only the parking company are obliged to abide by the POPLA decision.

PE will probably take this to court. Get some evidence about this before it gets there. Take some photos of the conditions on the payment machine and signs that say you can pay at the end of the period for time you have used..

Perhaps you could post up your POPLA appeal, redacted, so that people can see what was said.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X