• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

'intended court action' and a £900 fine - advise please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'intended court action' and a £900 fine - advise please!

Hi there, I would really appreciate some advice regarding MET parking fines and an apparent impeding court action

I work in a hospital and for most of the year everyone parked in the Virgin active gym, which had a 4 hour max stay, with no consequence. Virgin obviously got annoyed with the full parking lot and asked MET parking services to start fining people. So I then got six fines through the post (there was no notice left on my car), all on consecutive days, before my parents rang me (the address the fines were going to) and I stopped parking there.

I have been ignoring the fines, and it has now got to the stage where the debt recovery agency are threatening to recommend to the creditor that they take it to court. Here are my questions:

1. At what stage do you know it has become an official court summons, not just a threat?

2. what is the latest stage you are able to pay just the fines and not incur any extra solicitors fees?

3. I have read up about the whole Beavis case, summarised below. From what I gather the parking company won because the judge ruled that the fine was warranted as a deterrent and was not 'extravagant and unconscionable'. I would argue that because they did not leave a notice on my car I had no idea I was being fined, and therefor it did not act as a deterrent but rather a punitive penalty, and that £900 is certainly extravagant and unconscionable. Do you think, if I did take it to court, there would be any merit in this argument?

Thanks so much for your help in advance

Callum

"The court of appeal unambiguously clarified the common law's position on both the nature and enforcability of parking charges. It is now clear thay a parking charge having the predominant purpose or intention to deter is 'not' sufficient in itself to invalidate [the charge]' The Principle test that should be used is whether the sum charge is 'extravagant and unconscionable'. In the case it was found that the parking charge was not extravagant and unconscionable and thus fully enforcable under the rules about contractual penalties. The Court made reference to indirect losses that parking contraventions can cause to operators, the need for large charges to deter breaches, the benefit to the community that such deterrence can create and the intention of Parliament for such charges to be enforceable. This ruling now represents the most authorative judgement in the area of parking law and must be strictly adheared to, Following the ruling in Beavis, it is without doubt that your parking charge is wholly valid and fully enforcable"
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: 'intended court action' and a £900 fine - advise please!

1. If you get a letter before claim/action it is usually a clue but otherwise it'd be obvious you got a court claim.

2. Before a judge decides, depending on the willing of the claimant to settle.

3. Not really no. It'd mostly be about signage etc

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/MET_P..._Services.html Nt very litigious, as yet.

M1

Comment

Re: 'intended court action' and a £900 fine - advise please!

Thats great news, thanks so much for your help! Just going to ride it out!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X