• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dealing with DEAL regarding Whitby Co-op Car Park

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with DEAL regarding Whitby Co-op Car Park

Hi there
    Like so many on this forum this is my first posting in response to a County Court Claim from DEAL. I’ve read a lot of the related threads and it has certainly been an education! My case is similar to many others – I was on holiday with my wife in the Whitby area in July 2012, and a few weeks after returning home received a PCN from CEL which did not specify to which car park the supposed offence related. I followed online advice, ignoring it (and not keeping it). After two and a half years I was stunned to receive a claim for £215 from Northampton County Court, the particulars of which revealed that it stemmed from a stay in Whitby Co-op car park – which is now famous enough to have its own Facebook protest page. The claim was signed by M.Schwartz (spelt correctly!). Where my case differs from others is that the claim form had been misdelivered; the date of service was the 5 March, but I didn’t get it until 28 March. After some frantic research and phone calls to the court I was told that the case still awaited action so I was able to email an acknowledgement of service. I then followed it up with a very rushed emailed defence submitted on 3 April (i.e. just within the 28 day deadline), but having had the time to review some other threads I’m worried that it is rather too thin.

IN THE NORTHAMPTON COUNTY COURT CLAIM NO: XXXXXXXXX

BETWEEN:- DEBT ENFORCEMENT & ACTION LIMITED, Claimant
    -AND-
    XXXXXXXXXXXXX, Defendant
    DEFENCE
    1. It is denied that the alleged signs constitute an offer by the Operator to enter into a contract with the Claimant. Any contract must have offer, acceptance and consideration both ways. There is no consideration from Civil Enforcement Limited to the driver; the gift of parking is the landowner’s, not Civil Enforcement Limited. There is no consideration from motorist to Civil Enforcement Limited. Any fees for parking are due to the landowner and not Civil Enforcement Limited.
    2. No admissions are made as to the Claimant’s assertion that ANPR cameras recorded the Defendant’s vehicle as the Defendant has no knowledge of such matters. It is admitted that the Defendant’s vehicle entered the Car Park on 26 July 2012 at approximately 13.30 and left on 26 July 2012 approximately four hours later. During that period the Defendant undertook his shopping at the Co-op, as well as visiting other sites in the town.
    3. It is denied that as a consequence of the Defendant’s conduct a charge was incurred; in any event the Claimant has not pleaded in the particulars of claim how such charge is alleged to have been incurred.
    4. It is not accepted that the Claimant wrote to the Defendant ‘several times’ in respect of non-payment of debt. The Defendant accepts that one demand was received from Civil Enforcement Limited in August 2012, but this demand did not make clear to which car park the demand related. Furthermore the initial charge of £45.00 and subsequent charges now totalling £215.00 is considered penal in nature and not a genuine pre estimate of loss.
    5. It is contested that the debt ‘was assigned to the Claimant with the knowledge of The Co-operative’. The Co-operative Group ceased their association with Civil Enforcement Limited in 2012, and are currently assisting the defence in a similar case at Bristol County Court - A79YP365 Debt Enforcement & Action Ltd v Colclough.
    I then tried contacting the Co-op, as others appear to have been successful in appealing to them. However, the response I got said it was out of their hands. I tried another email with specific queries about the lack of detail on the PCN, the ongoing case in Bristol, the lack of planning permission for the cameras and the assertion on the claim form that the debt had been assigned to the Claimant with the knowledge of the Co-op. The response was:

Dear XXXXXXXXXXX

Thank you for your further email. I have provided our answers below in relation to the further questions asked by yourself.
    Every PCN that we have seen issued by Civil Enforcement has the name of the Car Park relating to the incident (this is in the orange box on the PCN) and I can only advise that if this was not the case on the PCN sent to you that you use this as part of your defence.
    I can confirm that we were not aware of the debt being assigned by civil enforcement.
    As the test case has not been conducted, it would be unfair to speculate about points that may be raised.
    The cameras have now been removed from a property in Whitby as we are no longer contracting with Civil Enforcement
    I can only re-iterate that we are not in a position to help further and, as we are not legally trained, any further queries should be directed to a legal professional.

Yours sincerely
    Steven Wheeler
    Car Parking Executive Team

Today I received the notice of allocation to the small claims track, with the DQ and option for mediation. I have until 1 May to return the DQ where I have to specify a number of witnesses. I’m not sure what to put here. I could include my wife who was with me, but I am also wanting to have the opportunity to beef up the defence with reference to previous cases etc. I would particularly like to be able to refer to others who received PCNs with no identifying details which turned out to relate to this car park, but who had the good sense to keep theirs as evidence! Please can you advise on next steps?

Re: Dealing with DEAL regarding Whitby Co-op Car Park

If you had a free shot to change the defence then you could but as you don't (because they won't agree to let you (besides it shows weakness)) then it'll do.

Fill in the form and agree to mediation even though it won't work. The court will then give directions and a hearing date.

A letter to the court pointing out the co-op email regarding the "I can confirm that we were not aware of the debt being assigned by civil enforcement." which contradicts the particulars of claim which verified with a statement of truth would be good :okay: (copied to the opponent for added brown trouser effect)

M1

Comment

Thanks M1

I know my defence is too brief, it's because I didn't understand the process and thought that I just needed to outline some possible arguments. Do I have an opportunity to get in some of the points from your outline defence in a witness statement? Who should be considered a witness in a case like this? Do I count myself?

Thanks also for the advice about sending a letter to the court. Should this go with the DQ form? I'm not sure how to phrase the letter as I don't particularly want to quote the whole email, as it isn't all helpful. Sorry for the extra queries, but it's all a bit confusing for someone who has never had any legal dealings. While it's good to know other people have been in the same position and won out, it's still very daunting!

Comment

Just yourself, judging from your defence. If, for example, you had denied signs were in place and someone else could be a witness to that then they'd also be a witness.

I'd include with the DQ.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I note that in the above case the solicitor who signed the claim form xxxxxxxxx and the statement of truth that is contained within, states that "debt was assigned with the knowledge of the Co-operative" (check exact wording on your claim form).

Having asked the Co-operative if this is true because i read several examples where the Co-operative said it was not, they replied ""I can confirm that we were not aware of the debt being assigned by civil enforcement." (full email annexed to this letter).

I would like to draw the courts attention to this matter so the court take any appropriate action as i believe signing a statement of truth without an honest belief in it's truth is a serious matter.

Yours etc

M1

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X