• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Will this blurred image stand up in court?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this blurred image stand up in court?

Hi all,
    The defendant received a CCBC letter due to an unpaid parking fine in 2018.

The images on the claimants web portal show the defendants car parked not in a dedicated bay, but along the edge of a pavement with no yellow/ered lines etc.

The image of the terms and conditions on their portal is completely blurred where it cannot be read at all, it is also dusk and non illuminated.

Image below;
    https://ibb.co/vdbt1Dg

The car park has since been completely redesigned with completely different and new parking signs so the defendant is unable to see what the terms and conditions were back in 2018.

Does the defendant have a leg to stand on

Thankyou for your time
    Tags: None

Originally posted by j22key View Post
    Hi all,
    The defendant received a CCBC letter due to an unpaid parking fine in 2018.

The images on the claimants web portal show the defendants car parked not in a dedicated bay, but along the edge of a pavement with no yellow/ered lines etc.

The image of the terms and conditions on their portal is completely blurred where it cannot be read at all, it is also dusk and non illuminated.

Image below;
    https://ibb.co/vdbt1Dg

The car park has since been completely redesigned with completely different and new parking signs so the defendant is unable to see what the terms and conditions were back in 2018.

Does the defendant have a leg to stand on

Thankyou for your time
    That photo will not be sufficiently legible for court purposes, but they are likely to supplement their evidence with stock photos of signage.
    Maxim of equity.
    "Vigilantibus non dormientibus aequitas subvenit."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxims_of_equity
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

What does that mean, and how does it help the OP?
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
        What does that mean,

It's in the link provided

and how does it help the OP?

Shield (not sword).

Laches also.

####
        Last edited by charitynjw; 28th February 2023, 09:34:AM.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Vigilantibus non dormientibus aequitas subvenit

Not that quoting maxims of Equity will help. And this has nothing to do with laches.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Vigilantibus non dormientibus aequitas subvenit

Not that quoting maxims of Equity will help. And this has nothing to do with laches.
            Why would a 4/5 year old parking charge not have anything to do with laches?
            The signage may have changed in the interim...the same parking co might not even be still operating there.
            & is the court not one of equity as well as common law?
            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

For a start, it is within the limitation period for claims. This will be put as a contract case, and will be decided as one, subject also to any points under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2014.

Comment

For a start, it is within the limitation period for claims. This will be put as a contract case, and will be decided as one, subject also to any points under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2014.

Yes, but they have sat on it for years after the accrual date.
                At the very least, they shouldn't be allowed to accumulate years of interest....but bet your life they'll try.
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Yes, you are quite right. Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, sorry.

Comment

Thankyou for the replies! - they are really appreciated
                    The defendant has sent in the defense via email to CCBC & the claimants legal team stating that the signage within the online portal is too blurry to read, not illuminated and that the only part of the image that is readable is 'CUSTOMERS OF MERRY HILL SHOPPING CENTER ONLY'

I'm assuming it's just a waiting game now to see what they come back with...

Unfortunately or not, the car park has been completely renovated with new & different signage - so unable to actually see the terms and conditions even if a visit to the site was possible.

Hopefully this gets thrown out, but would they require a witness statement before anything is thrown out anyway?

Thanks again

Comment

Thankyou for the replies! - they are really appreciated
                      The defendant has sent in the defense via email to CCBC & the claimants legal team stating that the signage within the online portal is too blurry to read, not illuminated and that the only part of the image that is readable is 'CUSTOMERS OF MERRY HILL SHOPPING CENTER ONLY'

I'm assuming it's just a waiting game now to see what they come back with...

Unfortunately or not, the car park has been completely renovated with new & different signage - so unable to actually see the terms and conditions even if a visit to the site was possible.

Hopefully this gets thrown out, but would they require a witness statement before anything is thrown out anyway?

Thanks again

Fingers crossed.
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Defendant received a letter today stating the aknowledgement of defence and it will be shared what the claimant who may contact directly to settle the dispute.

Comment

Defendant received a letter today stating the aknowledgement of defence and it will be shared what the claimant who may contact directly to settle the dispute.
                          Standard confirmation from the court.

Does it state a time limit for the Claimant to respond to the defence?
                          It is not obligatory for them to do so if not directed to do so by the court, though they might do it anyway.
                          Last edited by charitynjw; 3rd March 2023, 23:30:PM.
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

It states 28 days, and if the claimant does not respond the claim will be stayed, and if they wish to lift the stay after this time, they will have to apply to a judge
                            Thankyou for your time looking at this post by the way

Comment

It states 28 days, and if the claimant does not respond the claim will be stayed, and if they wish to lift the stay after this time, they will have to apply to a judge
                              Thankyou for your time looking at this post by the way
                              ......and counting.
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X