• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HELP! N244 defence/argument - CCJ in absence claim not served (wrong address)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks Rob, here is the defence
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, will take a look and et yo know
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Looks ok assuming you have filled out the relevant facts section. Just two things:

1. on the first page, change the title from "Defence" to "Draft Defence".

2. Paragraph. 10.1 there is an "and" in square brackets. If you intend to keep para. 10.2 then delete the square brackets otherwise delete 10.2 and the word "and".
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
          Looks ok assuming you have filled out the relevant facts section. Just two things:

1. on the first page, change the title from "Defence" to "Draft Defence".

2. Paragraph. 10.1 there is an "and" in square brackets. If you intend to keep para. 10.2 then delete the square brackets otherwise delete 10.2 and the word "and".
          have done all that so hopefully can send everything of today.....cant remember is there a post about how to do this correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by benythebull View Post

have done all that so hopefully can send everything of today.....cant remember is there a post about how to do this correctly?
            Aah just noticed....what's the relevant facts section? as in what do I need to insert here?

Comment

You normally give some background of the facts leading up to the judgment. They should be brief and concise, not reams of pages of every little step, something like the below example but you will need to tweak it to suit your own facts and circumstances. Do not just copy and paste it because if there's something in this example that is not correct and are challenged by the parking company, then you will look like a fool on the day of the hearing.

1. In or around insert date, I applied for a credit card with my current bank, name of bank . Following a review of my application, name of bank declined my application on the basis that they had become aware of an outstanding County Court Judgment ("CCJ") in my name. I was advised to obtain a copy of my credit file with the relevant credit reference agencies as to the details of the judgment creditor.

2. That same day I obtained a credit report from credit agency, to establish the circumstances of the CCJ (see page 1 of exhibit reference). I discovered that the CCJ in question was in favour of Claimant and so I promptly contacted the Northampton County Court Business Centre for further information. I was informed that the claim related to an alleged outstanding parking charge notice ("PCN") and the claim form was issued on insert date. Due to failing to acknowledge the claim, Claimant obtained a judgment by default.

3. I received a copy of the claim form from the court and on further inspection, I noticed that the address listed on the claim form was insert old address ("old address") which is incorrect (see page 2 of exhibit reference). My current place of residence is insert new address ("new address") and I have been living here for approximately number of months or years (see page 3 of exhibit reference). I was completely unaware that Claimant had issued proceedings against me in relation to a PCN. I did not receive the application notice or any correspondence from the Claimant or their solicitors referring to the PCN nor do I have any details of where the alleged contravention took place.

4. On insert date I wrote to Claimant explaining the situation and seeking their consent to set aside the default judgment. Despite several calls to Claimant and promises that they would respond, I have not heard back from them. As such, I have had no choice but to make this application and request that the default judgment be set aside.
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

You normally give some background of the facts leading up to the judgment. They should be brief and concise, not reams of pages of every little step, something like the below example but you will need to tweak it to suit your own facts and circumstances. Do not just copy and paste it because if there's something in this example that is not correct and are challenged by the parking company, then you will look like a fool on the day of the hearing.

thanks so much. I'm a complete moron! is the relevant facts what's in the witness statement? If so I already have them done and I think you also saw them so we are good to go. Or do I need to make a separate copy of them? keen on getting this submitted today....
                Last edited by benythebull; 29th September 2022, 08:12:AM.

Comment

If it's already in your witness statement, you don't need to duplicate it in your defence, so you can remove the relevant facts paragraph in your defence. Just a note on sending it, I would suggest you send it by email rather than post but is up to you (particularly with postal strikes).

Sending by email
                  Should be sent as a single PDF document in the following order.

N244
                  Witness Statement
                  Draft Defence
                  Draft Order

Email sent to ccbcfees@justice.gov.uk with the subject line something like:

Application to Set aside Default Judgment: [Claimant Name] v [Your Name] (Claim No. XXXXX)

Add a covering statement in the body of the email to say something like:

Dear Sir or Madam, please find attached the Defendant's application to set aside a default judgment in respect of the above-referenced claim. I will contact the court tomorrow to confirm receipt of the application and to pay the fee over the telephone.

Sending by post
                  Post should be first class but I would recommend you send by recorded delivery to ensure it is received and signed for. You will need to print 3 copies of the application, one copy for the court, one for the defendant and one for yourself which will be stamped with the court's seal when issued. All 3 copies should be in the same order as above and stapled together. Normally I would staple the N244, WS, Defence and Draft Order separately so the pages are not loose and then one staple through them all so they are all attached. It means if the court/judge wants to pull off the WS or the defence, they will have a complete stapled copy rather than a loose bunch of pages.

You should attach a cheque for the application fee but you can pay over the telephone if you like.

Again, a covering letter should be attached similar to the above example wording and confirming that 3 copies of the application are enclosed together with the cheque for the fee or if you intend to pay over the phone.
                  Last edited by R0b; 29th September 2022, 11:26:AM.
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

If it's already in your witness statement, you don't need to duplicate it in your defence, so you can remove the relevant facts paragraph in your defence. Just a note on sending it, I would suggest you send it by email rather than post but is up to you (particularly with postal strikes).

Sending by email
                    Should be sent as a single PDF document in the following order.

N244
                    Witness Statement
                    Draft Defence
                    Draft Order

Email sent to ccbcfees@justice.gov.uk with the subject line something like:

Application to Set aside Default Judgment: [Claimant Name] v [Your Name] (Claim No. XXXXX)

Add a covering statement in the body of the email to say something like:

Dear Sir or Madam, please find attached the Defendant's application to set aside a default judgment in respect of the above-referenced claim. I will contact the court tomorrow to confirm receipt of the application and to pay the fee over the telephone.

Sending by post
                    Post should be first class but I would recommend you send by recorded delivery to ensure it is received and signed for. You will need to print 3 copies of the application, one copy for the court, one for the defendant and one for yourself which will be stamped with the court's seal when issued. All 3 copies should be in the same order as above and stapled together. Normally I would staple the N244, WS, Defence and Draft Order separately so the pages are not loose and then one staple through them all so they are all attached. It means if the court/judge wants to pull off the WS or the defence, they will have a complete stapled copy rather than a loose bunch of pages.

You should attach a cheque for the application fee but you can pay over the telephone if you like.

Again, a covering letter should be attached similar to the above example wording and confirming that 3 copies of the application are enclosed together with the cheque for the fee or if you intend to pay over the phone.
                    thank you so much. gonna get this turned into a pdf and will email today.

Comment

Got this back from the court....assuming things may have changed and will call the court today....

Please note that the court cannot accept applications via email if any relevant fee has not already been paid. Court fees can be paid by credit / debit card by contacting our Helpdesk between 9.00 and 3.15, Monday – Friday. Once you have paid your fee, you may re-submit your application via email to this address if you wish to do so.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X