• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

LBC from BW Legal for Premier Park - Unpaid PCN for overstay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LBC from BW Legal for Premier Park - Unpaid PCN for overstay

I've recently received a letter before claim from BW Legal acting for Premier Park. The claim is for an unpaid PCN issued in 2019 for overstaying the 3 hour free period in a retail park. Ive SAR'd the claimant and PAP'd the solicitors. Response to the latter came through by email on Friday and includes the attached PCN and signage. I don't think there is much to challenge really, but there are a few discrepancies:

1. I was the hirer not the keeper as stated in their email.PCN is correct though.
    2. One of the photos shows a machine located inside the Costco warehouse where you can enter your registration number for additional free parking time. I would swear blind that this didn't exist at the time of the 'breach'. Making me suspicious that the photos were all taken after the date in question. I did email the manager at Costco asking when the machine was installed, but I didn't get a response so I will have to try again - they did say that they could have got the PCN cancelled if I had contacted them earlier, so I think they are sympathetic.

I'll admit to not having handled this as well as I should and its now at the point where a claim form could drop on my doormat at any moment. Ive be grateful of someone could cast their eye on this case and let me know if there are any reasonable grounds for a defence - I'm happy to defend the claim but don't want to waste the effort on a lost cause, so I'd be equally happy to make them an offer

Email from BW Legal

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your recent email, the contents of which have been noted on file.

Please find the evidence, related to this matter, attached. This file is password protected with the vehicle registration involved – all capitals, no spaces. We recommend opening this folder on a desktop device as some handheld devices may be incompatible.

Our Client's cause of action is that you breached the Terms and Conditions of the contract which you entered into by parking your vehicle in the car park, by exceeding the maximum stay period.

Our Client is pursuing you as the Registered Keeper of the vehicle under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.

The vehicle was observed at Capital Shopping Park car park on 25 May 2019. The vehicle was observed by the Automatic Number Plate Recogniton cameras (‘ANPR’) entering the site on at 14:51 and leaving at 18:12 – a total stay time of 3 hours and 21 minutes.

Upon entering the Car Park, the signage in situ (i.e. the "offer") made clear the terms and conditions associated with parking on the private land. By your action of entering the Car Park, and remaining there in excess of the grace period, it is our Client's position that your actions were tantamount to an acceptance of the terms and conditions. It is our Client's position, therefore, that you did enter into a contract with our Client, and are therefore liable for any consequences of breaching the same. If you did not agree to the terms and conditions, you should have vacated the Car Park within the grace period. You evidently did not do this, and therefore our Client is satisfied that you remain liable for the PCN.

The signage in situ states: ‘Mobile patrols/camera enforcement in operation, Private Land, Maximum stay period applies…See additional signs for full details…Maximum stay 3 hours…Capital Shopping Park customers only… If you enter or park on this land contravening the terms and conditions displayed, you are agreeing to pay: Parking Charge Notice (PCN) £90.’

Please find images of the signage, displayed in situ, attached. We have also included a signage plan of the signage on site.

Your vehicle was observed remaining on site for a period of 3 hours and 21 minutes, exceeding the maximum stay time displayed on the signage in situ and as this breached the terms and conditions of parking, a PCN was issued to you. It is entirely your responsibility to ensure your vehicle is removed from site within the maximum stay period, or that your vehicle registration is added to our Client’s whitelist to authorise additional time for your vehicle.

On the date of contravention, our Client requested the details of the Registered Keeper from the DVLA and were returned with your name and current address. Our Client wrote to you as such on several occasions to notify you of this matter and provide you with the opportunity to appeal. Under Schedule 4, Paragraph 9 (6) of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, these Notices can be presumed delivered to the address provided by the DVLA, unless corroborative evidence to the contrary can be provided, and our Client is satisfied you would have received these Notices as a result.

Our Client provided you with the opportunity to appeal this matter with them within 28 days, however no appeal was ever received. As no payment was made, this matter was passed to ourselves to collect the balance on behalf of our Client.

The time frame in which to appeal this matter has elapsed and the full balance remains due and owing. Please conatct us to make a payment proposal for the outstanding amount.

Should you have any queries please contact our office on 0113 487 0432, or alternatively sign in or register on our Online Customer Portal at www.bwlegal.co.uk.

Kind Regards,
    bwlegal®

Redacted PCN
    Tags: None

ostell Can you please take a look and advise, many thanks.

Comment

So you are the hirer.

When you received the PCN , ie notice to hirer, did it also include a copy of your hire agreement and the original PCN to the hire company?

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
        So you are the hirer.

When you received the PCN , ie notice to hirer, did it also include a copy of your hire agreement and the original PCN to the hire company?
        The DSAR bundle I received from Premier Park did include the original PCN sent to the lease company where they had filled in the Transfer of Liability section with my details and the dates I leased the vehicle.

This isn't in the documents I received from BW Legal though.

Comment

That's not what I asked. When you received the Notice to hirer did YOU receive the original PCN and a copy of the rental agreement?

Comment

No, I did not.

Comment

The response I would have suggested when the PCN was first received would have been:

Sirs

Ref PCN xxxxx VRM yyyyyy

I am the hirer/keeper of the above vehicle and am in receipt of the PCN you issued. I have no liability on this matter as you have failed to meet the requirements of Schedule 4 of The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 namely, but not limited to, failing to supply the additional documents mandated by section 14 (2) (a) of the Act. You cannot therefore transfer liability from the driver at the time to me, the hirer keeper..

There is no legal requirement to identify the driver at the time and I will not be doing so.

Any further communication with me on this matter, apart from confirmation of no further action and my details being removed from your records, will be considered vexatious and harassment. This includes communication from any Debt Collection companies you care to instruct.

Yours etc.

So you know what to say to the solicitor

Comment

Ah, I see. Thanks for the advice.

As a matter of interest, do you see many cases where they have complied with the requirement to serve these additional documents? is this a common failure?

Comment

It's very rare for them to actually give the documents.

Comment

That doesn't surprise me. I noticed that they do actually ask hire companies for these documents in the 'useful information' section of the PCN, so they are well aware of the statutory requirements. I suspect that most hire/lease companies do the bare minimum and just fill out the name and hire dates in the TOL section. Why go to the trouble of retrieving original documents when you can get away with sticking a label on the form and sending it back?

Comment

Anyway, I've emailed the solicitors saying I dispute the claim in full due to the missing hire documents. I presume they won't let me know if they have dropped the matter, but I believe the pre-action protocol means they need to give 14 days notice if they intend to go ahead and issue a claim.

Comment

*** can mods please move to the live claims board***

The cheeky xxx have issued a claim! This is despite them replying to my email saying that my comments were noted but completely failing to address the issue of the missing hire documents. I replied again to that reiterating that I have a complete defence and reminding them that the pre-action protocol obliges them to take stock and to inform me if they intend to continue with a claim.

POC:

"The Claim is for the sum of £<Redacted> being due from the Defendant in respect of a Parking Charge Notice (PCN)for a contractual breach which occurred on<Redacted> in the private car park/land at<Redacted> in relation to a <Redacted> registration mark <Redacted>.
                        The PCN was issued as the driver failed to comply with the terms and conditions, as displayed.
                        Despite demands, the charge remains unpaid.
                        The Claim also includes Statutory Interest pursuant to section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum (a daily rate of £0.02) from <Redacted> to <Redacted> being an amount of £<Redacted>.
                        The Claimant also claims £60.00 recovery costs as set out in the Terms and Conditions"

I will acknowledge service online, but with Christmas approaching I really only have a couple of weeks to get a defence filed.
                        Last edited by ULA; 8th December 2021, 19:34:PM. Reason: Edited to take unacceptable word.

Comment

Originally posted by littlebert8 View Post
                          *** can mods please move to the live claims board***

The cheeky xxx have issued a claim! This is despite them replying to my email saying that my comments were noted but completely failing to address the issue of the missing hire documents. I replied again to that reiterating that I have a complete defence and reminding them that the pre-action protocol obliges them to take stock and to inform me if they intend to continue with a claim.

POC:

"The Claim is for the sum of £<Redacted> being due from the Defendant in respect of a Parking Charge Notice (PCN)for a contractual breach which occurred on<Redacted> in the private car park/land at<Redacted> in relation to a <Redacted> registration mark <Redacted>.
                          The PCN was issued as the driver failed to comply with the terms and conditions, as displayed.
                          Despite demands, the charge remains unpaid.
                          The Claim also includes Statutory Interest pursuant to section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum (a daily rate of £0.02) from <Redacted> to <Redacted> being an amount of £<Redacted>.
                          The Claimant also claims £60.00 recovery costs as set out in the Terms and Conditions"

I will acknowledge service online, but with Christmas approaching I really only have a couple of weeks to get a defence filed.
                          ULA Can you please move, many thanks.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X