• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

County Court Claim - DCBLegal on behalf of CCPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County Court Claim - DCBLegal on behalf of CCPC

Hi all,

I have a live thread at both Pepipoo and MSE and have had some great advice from there, but have been signposted here for some extra advice with regards to a particular legal point.

Basically, I've received a CCBC claim form x2 for 4 old windscreen invoices from 2017, for two different locations in Greenwich Peninsula/North Greenwich - Phoenix Avenue and East Parkside.
    Both of these areas I have successfully contested later windscreen invoices at PoPLA and won, and hoped this would be sufficient to draw a line under the matter, however Terry Szmidt and CCPC are not to be deterred it seems!

The specific question I wish to ask is with regards to who can take the claim to court.
    The claim was issued by Terry Szmidt T/A Capital Car Park Control. This company no longer exists and the aforementioned person is now a director at Capital Car Park Control Ltd.
    Since the previous sole trader operation ceases to exist, can he take me to court for this?

To further muddy the waters, the signs in the area, as well as the NtK and windscreen invoice are from Capital Carpark (one word) Control.
    Given the court paperwork, would this be a point worth arguing, or would the court likely accept this as a mistake/typo?

I got a LBC from DBCLegal back in Feb of this year, got all the PCNs and photographic evidence helped by the PPC. In looking through my previous dealings with this company, I realised I had 2 or so invoices from the same area of North Greenwich - East Parkside. I appealed the 2nd of these PCNs to POPLA and it was decided in my favour (Jan 2017)
    Similarly, I had 3 or so invoices from a different part of this area from the same PPC - Phoenix Avenue. Again, I contested the last of these to POPLA and the adjudicator found in my favour. (though looking back through my emails, this was actually with a different car which I was keeper to, so different registration but same name and address - in Jan 2018)

On this basis, I assumed that previous invoices wouldn't be enforceable on the basis they had already lost at POPLA from an almost identical timeframe

I therefore sent a strongly worded letter advising I intend to counterclaim their vexatious claim if they decide to pursue one against me on the basis it has already been successfully challenged at a higher authority. I didn't hear back from them since the end of February so I thought/hoped this would be the end of it.

I've read through information here and on MSE forums and I'm aware of the next steps, ie AoS and Defence.

​​​​​​​Links to location:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4986......3312!8i6656
    (East Parkside - April 2020)
    https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5005......6384!8i8192
    (Phoenix Avenue - March 2018)

I do also have some photos taken myself here of the signage:
    https://ibb.co/album/0Q2fDp

I've set up an album for each invoice with the NtK, initial windscreen invoice and photos they've taken:
    https://ibb.co/album/QkWRxh - East Parkside
    https://ibb.co/album/qYFZFr - Phoenix Avenue
    https://ibb.co/album/vxhD6W - Phoenix Avenue
    https://ibb.co/album/hxrvnm - Phoenix Avenue
    Tags: None

Bump for visibility and to make clearer the 2 things I want some advice with in the wall of text above:

The specific question I wish to ask is with regards to who can take the claim to court.
    The claim was issued by Terry Szmidt T/A Capital Car Park Control. This company no longer exists and the aforementioned person is now a director at Capital Car Park Control Ltd.
    Since the previous sole trader operation ceases to exist, can he take me to court for this?

To further muddy the waters, the signs in the area, as well as the NtK and windscreen invoice are from Capital Carpark (one word) Control.
    Given the court paperwork, would this be a point worth arguing, or would the court likely accept this as a mistake/typo?

Comment

Terry Szmidt t/a was never a company, purely a sole trader.

So if the claim is from the Ltd company and the signs state the sole trader name then no he cannot take action as the company did not create a contract with you. Do the signs give a company number or state Terry S t/a Capital car park. If purely Capital Car Park with no company number and no t/a statement then you cannot contract with an unknown entity.

I can't quite read the signs but it does seem to be Capital Car Park Control but no t/a statement nor company number.

It's all about contracts created.

It is also a forbidding sign. Here's some text I collected:

The signage in the car park is of a “forbidding” nature. It is limited to cars displaying a valid permit only and therefore the terms cannot apply to cars without a permit because the signage does not offer an invitation to park on certain terms. The terms are forbidding. This means that there was never a contractual relationship. I refer you to the following case law: PCM-UK v Bull et all B4GF26K6 [2016], UKPC v Masterson B4GF26K6[2016], Horizon Parking v Mr J C5GF17X2 [2016] – In all three of these cases the signage was found to be forbidding and thus only a trespass had occurred and would be a matter for the landowner.
      Last edited by ostell; 7th June 2021, 22:12:PM.

Comment

Thank you for your comments Ostell - I have cross posted at both MSE and Peppipoo so apologies if you are having to repeat yourself.

The signage just says Capital Carpark Control.
        The 'PCN' doesn't even have a creditor, other than the logo at the top of the windshield invoice and the details for where to send payment to. There is no mention of a company number nor a t/a statement.
        The same is true of the NtK which only has a logo and a company name and address, no t/a, no company number.

I have completed a CPR 31.14 to ask for the evidence they rely on and so far have only had the information the PPC has sent to me via my SAR request. I've pointed out to them they need a legible copy of the sign which forms the contract if they are taking me to court for this and asking this be sent to allow me to compile my defence, and the rest is as per the legal beagles template.

Comment

Thank you for your text with regards to forbidding signs - i have also added this into my defence and I'm very grateful to you for writing it out so legibly.

Comment

Have a look here for help with your defence against Mr Szmidt. CCPC county court claim - FightBack Forums (pepipoo.com)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X