• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking Ticket CCJ- Assistance needed!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking Ticket CCJ- Assistance needed!

Received a claim? Yes/No: Yes
    Issue Date: 2nd Nov 2018
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: No
    Total Amount Claimed: £248.48
    Claimant’s Name: Euro Parking Services Limited
    Solicitors Firm: Gladstones Solicitors

Particulars of Claim:
    The driver of the Vehicle registration **** *** (the Vehicle) incurred the parking charge(s) on 15/09/2017 for breaching the terms of parking on the land at *********(address).
    The defendant was driving the vehicle and/or is the keeper of the vehicle.
    AND THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS
    £160 for Parking Charges/Damages and indemnity costs if applicable, together with interest of £13.48 pursuant to s69 of the Count Courts Act 1984 at 8% pa, continuing to Judgment at 0.04 per day

'The driver' received a parking ticket 15/09 for being parked in a disabled bay without clearly displaying a valid disabled persons badge .

I have written to dispute the claim with a letter before claim which was sent to Gladstones. Here is what I wrote -

Dear Sirs,

I am in receipt of your Letter Before Claim of 3rd May 2018.
    Your letter contains insufficient detail of the claim and fails to provide copies of evidence your client places reliance upon.

Your client must know that on 01 October 2017 a new protocol is applicable to debt claims. Since proceedings have not yet been issued, the new protocol clearly applies and must be complied with.

Your letter lacks specificity and breaches both the requirements of the previously applicable Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct (paragraphs 6(a) and 6(c)) and the new Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims (paragraphs 3.1(a)-(d), 5.1 and 5.2. Please treat [s]and therefore[/s[ this letter as a formal request for all of the documents / information that the protocol now requires your client to provide. Your client must not issue proceedings without complying with that protocol. I reserve the right to draw any failure of the Claimant to comply with the protocol to the attention of the court and to ask the court to stay the claim and order your client to comply with its pre-action obligations, and when costs come to be considered.

As solicitors you must surely be familiar with the requirements of both the Practice Direction applicable pre-1 October and the Protocol which applies thereafter (and your client, as a serial litigator of small claims, should likewise be aware of them). As you (and your client) must know, the Practice Direction and Protocol binds all potential litigants, whatever the size or type of the claim. Its express purpose is to assist parties in understanding the claim and their respective positions in relation to it, to enable parties to take stock of their positions and to negotiate a settlement, or at least narrow the issues, without incurring the costs of court proceedings or using up valuable court time. It is astounding that a firm of Solicitors are sending a consumer a vague and unevidenced 'Letter before Claim' in complete ignorance of the pre-existing Practice Direction and the new Protocol.

Nobody, including your client, is immune from the requirements and obligations of the Practice Direction and now the Protocol.

I require your client to comply with its obligations by sending me the following information/documents:

1. an explanation of the cause of action 2. whether they are pursuing me as driver or keeper 3. whether they are relying on the provisions of Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 4. what the details of the claim are; where it is claimed the vehicle was parked, for how long, how the monies being claimed arose and have been calculated 5. Is the claim for a contractual breach? If so, provide a copy of that contract bearing my signature. Or is the claim for trespass? If so, provide details. 6. a copy of the contract with the landowner under which they assert authority to bring the claim, as required by the IPC code of practice section B, clause 1.1 7. a plan showing where any signs were displayed 8. details of the signs displayed (size of sign, size of font, height at which displayed) 9. Details of the additions to the original charge, what that represents and how it has been calculated.
    If your client does not provide me with this information then I put you on notice that I will be relying on the cases of Webb Resolutions Ltd v Waller Needham & Green [2012] EWHC 3529 (Ch), Daejan Investments Limited v The Park West Club Limited (Part 20) – Buxton Associates [2003] EWHC 2872, Charles Church Developments Ltd v Stent Foundations Limited & Peter Dann Limited [2007] EWHC 855 in asking the court to impose sanctions on your client and to order a stay of the proceedings, pursuant to paragraphs 13 ,15(b) and (c) and 16 of the Practice Direction, as referred to in paragraph 7.2 of the Protocol. I will draw to the court the fact that I have expressly requested this information since as early as [date or month/year of first request] yet your client has refused to provide it, saying that it will not do so until this matter reaches the court. [has it? this is taken from a precedent, check that all of it applies to you]

Until your client has complied with its obligations and provided this information, I am unable to respond properly to the alleged claim and to consider my position in relation to it, and it is entirely premature (and a waste of costs and court time) for your client to issue proceedings. Should your client do so, then I will seek an immediate stay pursuant to paragraph 15(b) of the Practice Direction and an order that this information is provided.

Yours faithfully
    xxxxxxxxxx
    Gladstones replied to my letter by emailing me with the following -

Thank you for your correspondence.

To narrow down the issues raised in your letter we feel it may be beneficial to discuss the matter via telephone, please provide the appropriate number.

Kind Regards
    I never did call them. Do you think it would be worth me fighting this case in court ? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated....
    Tags: None

Originally posted by claimtime View Post
    Received a claim? Yes/No: Yes
    Issue Date: 2nd Nov 2018
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: No
    Total Amount Claimed: £248.48
    Claimant’s Name: Euro Parking Services Limited
    Solicitors Firm: Gladstones Solicitors

Particulars of Claim:
    The driver of the Vehicle registration **** *** (the Vehicle) incurred the parking charge(s) on 15/09/2017 for breaching the terms of parking on the land at *********(address).
    The defendant was driving the vehicle and/or is the keeper of the vehicle.
    AND THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS
    £160 for Parking Charges/Damages and indemnity costs if applicable, together with interest of £13.48 pursuant to s69 of the Count Courts Act 1984 at 8% pa, continuing to Judgment at 0.04 per day

'The driver' received a parking ticket 15/09 for being parked in a disabled bay without clearly displaying a valid disabled persons badge .

I have written to dispute the claim with a letter before claim which was sent to Gladstones. Here is what I wrote -

Dear Sirs,

I am in receipt of your Letter Before Claim of 3rd May 2018.
    Your letter contains insufficient detail of the claim and fails to provide copies of evidence your client places reliance upon.

Your client must know that on 01 October 2017 a new protocol is applicable to debt claims. Since proceedings have not yet been issued, the new protocol clearly applies and must be complied with.

Your letter lacks specificity and breaches both the requirements of the previously applicable Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct (paragraphs 6(a) and 6(c)) and the new Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims (paragraphs 3.1(a)-(d), 5.1 and 5.2. Please treat [s]and therefore[/s[ this letter as a formal request for all of the documents / information that the protocol now requires your client to provide. Your client must not issue proceedings without complying with that protocol. I reserve the right to draw any failure of the Claimant to comply with the protocol to the attention of the court and to ask the court to stay the claim and order your client to comply with its pre-action obligations, and when costs come to be considered.

As solicitors you must surely be familiar with the requirements of both the Practice Direction applicable pre-1 October and the Protocol which applies thereafter (and your client, as a serial litigator of small claims, should likewise be aware of them). As you (and your client) must know, the Practice Direction and Protocol binds all potential litigants, whatever the size or type of the claim. Its express purpose is to assist parties in understanding the claim and their respective positions in relation to it, to enable parties to take stock of their positions and to negotiate a settlement, or at least narrow the issues, without incurring the costs of court proceedings or using up valuable court time. It is astounding that a firm of Solicitors are sending a consumer a vague and unevidenced 'Letter before Claim' in complete ignorance of the pre-existing Practice Direction and the new Protocol.

Nobody, including your client, is immune from the requirements and obligations of the Practice Direction and now the Protocol.

I require your client to comply with its obligations by sending me the following information/documents:

1. an explanation of the cause of action 2. whether they are pursuing me as driver or keeper 3. whether they are relying on the provisions of Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 4. what the details of the claim are; where it is claimed the vehicle was parked, for how long, how the monies being claimed arose and have been calculated 5. Is the claim for a contractual breach? If so, provide a copy of that contract bearing my signature. Or is the claim for trespass? If so, provide details. 6. a copy of the contract with the landowner under which they assert authority to bring the claim, as required by the IPC code of practice section B, clause 1.1 7. a plan showing where any signs were displayed 8. details of the signs displayed (size of sign, size of font, height at which displayed) 9. Details of the additions to the original charge, what that represents and how it has been calculated.
    If your client does not provide me with this information then I put you on notice that I will be relying on the cases of Webb Resolutions Ltd v Waller Needham & Green [2012] EWHC 3529 (Ch), Daejan Investments Limited v The Park West Club Limited (Part 20) – Buxton Associates [2003] EWHC 2872, Charles Church Developments Ltd v Stent Foundations Limited & Peter Dann Limited [2007] EWHC 855 in asking the court to impose sanctions on your client and to order a stay of the proceedings, pursuant to paragraphs 13 ,15(b) and (c) and 16 of the Practice Direction, as referred to in paragraph 7.2 of the Protocol. I will draw to the court the fact that I have expressly requested this information since as early as [date or month/year of first request] yet your client has refused to provide it, saying that it will not do so until this matter reaches the court. [has it? this is taken from a precedent, check that all of it applies to you]

Until your client has complied with its obligations and provided this information, I am unable to respond properly to the alleged claim and to consider my position in relation to it, and it is entirely premature (and a waste of costs and court time) for your client to issue proceedings. Should your client do so, then I will seek an immediate stay pursuant to paragraph 15(b) of the Practice Direction and an order that this information is provided.

Yours faithfully
    xxxxxxxxxx

Gladstones replied to my letter by emailing me with the following - Thank you for your correspondence.

To narrow down the issues raised in your letter we feel it may be beneficial to discuss the matter via telephone, please provide the appropriate number.

Kind Regards

I never did call them. Do you think it would be worth me fighting this case in court ? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated....
    Amethyst - Do you have any comments on this?

Comment

I don't I'm afraid ( I just pay parking tickets ) but I know a man who might ostell xxx
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

You write back and say that you wish to receive the response in writing, as they are required to do, and not via a telephone conversation

Please don't keep quoting. It's annoying to see the same text repeated.

Do you have anything of the original paperwork that was received, especially the Notice to Keeper? Was there a Blue badge available? Was anyone n the car disabled?

IF they are claiming against the keeper then they can claim no more than the original PCN (£100 ?) plus the fixed costs of solicitor (£50) and court claim (£25). How can they know the driver ? All the have is the DVLA entry.

A SAR to the Euro Parking might help. You may not get a response in time to prepare a defence but it will come in handy later.

Naughty of you Amethyst, just paying parking tickets.

Comment

Thanks ostell

So to confirm I should Acknowledge the claim and put in a full defence.

They did reply in writing once as attached but then did not reply in writing to my letter and that's when they asked to speak to me on the phone.

I have attached the PCN other docs. There was not a disabled person in the car and I was not aware it was a disabled space.

They do not know the driver as I have never said who was driving so they are just going on the reg of the car and the registered keeper.

What is a SAR?
          Attached Files

Comment

You acknowledge the claim on line using the details and the password supplied. Do not put anything in the defence. Acknowledging gives you 33 days from the date of issue to get your defence to the court, enough time to get help from the forum.

Comment

Thanks @ostell
              I have now acknowledged the claim online.

The issue date is 02/11 so any help to get the defence ready would be great.

Comment

So what do the signs say?

Comment

@ostell I will take a photo of the signs and post it shortly.

Comment

@ostell here is the sign.

What do you recommend for the defence?

Comment

At a push you could say that this is a forbidding sign in that parking is offered to permit holders only and no offer to non permit holders. To then claim that a contract was created with a non permit holder is perverse. With no contract then there can be no breach.

Were the alleged disabled bays readily identifiable and signs around them?

Comment

Thanks @ostell

The bays do have painted disabled signs on the ground but there are no other signs apart from that.

Because this is private property is it not the case that all spaces can be used by anyone regardless if they are marked disabled or not?

Comment

It is true that it is not against the law to use any space you want on private land but the parking companies create their own rules, even make them up as they go along.

Where the markings on the road clear and visible? There should really be signs on posts as well.

Comment

I just went over and double checked ostell and there are definitely no other disabled signs apart from the painted one on the floor which are clear and visible.

What do you think about a good defence?

Comment

ostell Any ideas on this one bud?

ostell I would like to try and get this claim completed today if possible so do you have any ideas for the defence form that I could add?

Looking forward to hearing back please.
                              Last edited by claimtime; 2nd December 2018, 00:51:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X