• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Link Parking Nightmare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link Parking Nightmare

I would like to ask for help regarding this ludicrous situation. I purchased a flat in Swansea and completed on 8/3/2019. I live in Dorset and so moved in with the help of a friend on Sunday 10/3/2019.
    When we arrived we drove to our allocated space, number 21, but found that a vehicle was already in my space . Because of this we parked in the space immediately to the right of our space which is for abled bodied visitors marked “V”. I had already read my property lease details which say owners can use these spaces marked “V” on a first come first served basis. This is from the inland registry via my solicitor. There were plenty of other “V” parking spaces available at that time.
    We started to move in our belongings but on return to the car found a ticket from Link Parking private parking company saying we would have to pay £60 within 2 weeks or £100 after that. I found after looking about there was a notice hidden under an evergreen tree nearby explaining in a convoluted way about this charge, saying I had entered into a contact by parking there without a visitors permit. I rang the number on the notice but it was dead and out of date.
    I telephoned on Monday the number on the ticket to explain. I purchased a visitors permit immediately off them for £10 and explained everything and told them that I knew nothing about such permits, while purchasing the property nobody had mentioned such a permit was required. They told me to appeal using IAS. I did this and they rejected it saying the notice was clear and I had no excuse. Amazingly enough their own photograph taken of our car when issued with the ticket clearly shows the parking sign pole with the top part wording obscure by the tree’s foliage. *
    I refused to pay and so now they have arranged for BWLEGAL solicitors to take me to small claims court in Northampton asking for £240.12 to be paid.
    This I am finding very upsetting and stressful as it is ridiculous and totally unfair. It turns out that you can park with no restrictions on the court yard internal perimeter road right next to the parking allocations with no restrictions anyway even though this causes blockages for large vehicles to pass which in an emergency could be highly problematic. On the day in question incidentally, it was teaming down with rain, highly windy and the next car park for public use was ¼ mile away so moving in would have been impossible with the heavy boxes and we are elderly and my husband was waiting for a double hernia operation at that time. Also to purchase a permit would have been impossible due to not being the official owner until the Friday before which could not have arrived until the following week.
    I attach link parking’s own picture showing the disable visitors car encroaching on 21’s space and our car on the abled bodied visitors space, as you can see the notice is onscured.

Every time I have dealings with this company I find it frustrating and distressing due to their inability to see reason and common sense decency. It seems to me they are merely intent on collection of a monetary fine no matter what it takes.
    They point out they are employed by the landowners on the basis of preventing non-residents using the car park. Therefore, surely this should not apply to me. *I have given them proof with all dates and attached document copies of my flat ownership beginning two days prior to the PCN and also a copy of my lease I received from the land registry, stating, residents can use these spaces on a first come first serve basis. I cannot send proof there was a vehicle parked over space 21 because I had no reason at the time to take a photograph, the vehicle had gone on my return. Surely though, it is proof enough that if my space had been available I would naturally have used it instead of the “V”.
    Their sign is obscured by foliage. I have sent many photos showing this to the IAS and also Link Parking. In their own photograph you can clearly see it is obscured. I only discovered this sign after searching when I had received the ticket.
    Link Parking are accredited by IPC and must follow their code of practice. Part of this concerns the displaying of notices. (Please note there are no signs on the entrance to the car park). Extracts of this code of practice that apply to my case state:
    8 *Obligations for Organisations Managing Land Requirements for the Conduct of Private Parking Management.
    Signs
    8.1 The Operator must have clear signage located on the Private Land to confirm the Terms and Conditions in place.
    8.2 Signs must conform to the requirements as set out in Schedule 1.
    Schedule 1
    Signs must fixed in place and must be immediately apparent to the Motorist *that they convey important information regarding the Private Land upon which they are placed.
    Entrance Signs Where a Car Park has a defined entrance, Operators should display entrance signs
    (NB there are no entrance signs)
    Entrance Signs should:
    a) make it clear that the Motorist is entering onto private land;
    b) refer the Motorist to the signs within the Car Park which display the full terms and conditions. Signs should, where practicable, be placed at the entrance to a Car Park. Otherwise the signage within the Car Park must be such as to be obvious to the Motorist.
    Signs Displaying Terms and Conditions
    The Operator must adequately display any signs intended to form the basis of contract between the Creditor and the Motorist.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Is there anyone out there who can help or adise me what to do? If I go to the small claims court would I win? Surely this is absolutely ridiculous?
    Tags: None

Yep they make money by being awkward and think no one will fight them.

Exactly what does your lease say about parking, and those V spaces?

If you couldn't read the sign then there can be no contract, though as a lease holder you already have a contract to park and don't require another one.* There photo showing the unreadable sign should be very helpful.

The courts had already decided that loading unloading is not parking, I can't remember the case but someone will.

In summary your lease allows you the right to park and you do not need the permission of a third party to do so.* Get on to the managing agents.

You could always claim from the parking compnay for their failure to keep your space free,

If you continue to have trouble then here's a bit of light reading:*https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.u...spass-success/

Comment

HI, thanks for reading my post.
      The lease says The lease holder has the right to use in common with all others entitled to a like right on a first come first served basis any parking spaces marked "V" on the plan for the tempoary parking of visitors private motor vehicles not exceeding three tonnes gross laden weight. It was my friends car we were using with the hatch back.
      I got onto the management company already and they say they have handed all the operating of the parking over to Link Parking and have no say in anything.
      I have sent the photo to the courts as evidence along with my lease etc but I am very nervous about the horrible experience, I start shaking when I get a court letter or email. On principle I will not pay unless the judge says I must. I have just heard from the courts to say they want to go to mediation. This is fine by me but what is the point of this? I am not going to pay anything unless I have to. I can ignore the email asking about mediation so it would automatically just go straight to court, but I read somewhere the judge may take a dim view of this. But, it says in the email if you are not willing to negotiate not to go to mediation?
      What do you think will happen if I dont bother with mediation and it goes to court? Can I transfer it to a local court t me. It is currently going to be held at Northampton is 3 hours drive away. If I go to court and win can I claim expenses, so far I have spent quite a bit on special delivery and photos etc but actual hours and hours on collating evidence and composing emails.

Comment

I suggest you do some serious reading about small claims court procedures.*

By being at the mediation stage it would appear that you have submitted your defence to the court.* What was it?* Sending documents is not part of a defence, submission of documents comes later in the process.

Northampton is only the admin centre for the court system, proceedings will be transferred to a court of your choice later.

You can claim for some expenses but not for time, unless Link are completely unreasonable

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X