• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Smart Car Parks - Fine - Kinnoull Street, Perth. Scotland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart Car Parks - Fine - Kinnoull Street, Perth. Scotland

Hi,

We used this car park a week ago, we drove in, paid for our ticket, never thought anything more about it. Until this morning when I received a fine, stating that
    we had 14 days to pay £60 or it would rise £100.
    Luckily we had kept the ticket, on it we noticed that the Registration number just showed a 'S' the first letter of our reg number. My wife definitely typed the whole reg number in and we didn't exactly study the ticket. I phoned them and got a rather rude woman on the phone, who accused me of being rude while she constantly spoke over the top of me, while I was trying to explain the situation, as the whole reg number was not on the ticket, we have been told we have to pay !! There must have been there machine at fault and aside from that, why we would we have a ticket with the letter S on it at the exact same time we were in the car park!
    I've lodged an online appeal, but as I received no email notification that they have received it, I'm not getting my hopes up.

So what can I do about this ? Just ignore it ? Will I end up with a CCJ ?

Any help most appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Smart Car Parks - Fine - Kinnoull Street, Perth. Scotland

In Scotland? Then just ignore. POFA does not apply so they can only go after the driver, who they do not know and you will not be telling them.

edit: Note to self: read the full post first!

Is the identity of the driver still not known to Smart? Then the the ignore advice still holds good.

If the driver is known then put it in writing, in a letter from the registered keeper, saying that the driver paid and include a copy of the ticket to show that the fee was paid. State that it is not the driver's problem that their equipment was defective and failed to register the keys pressed for the VRN. Send from a Post Office and get a free certificate of posting. This holds in good stead as evidence that you corresponded if they decide to take it further.

Comment

Unfortunately I did tell them who was driving, I've since got confirmation that they received my appeal, so I've stated what you suggested, as I see it we paid them for the time in the car park.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

The problem is they go by their petty rules, ie you have to enter the VRN. The mindset does not allow the equipment to be faulty. If it does go further you will be asking them for a full unredacted copy of the logs from the payment machines.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X