• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Need Help Please. MET Parking demanding overdue payment!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Please. MET Parking demanding overdue payment!

Hi,

Found this really informative website, but need help with a troubling issue and I don't know what to do.

I have been ignoring letters from MET Parking Services demanding £100 for overstaying at a McDonald's Car Park when I was dining at the restaurant with a friend a couple of months ago. It was dark and we didn't see the signage. I decided not to pay any attention to the letters from MET Parking because from what I have gathered reading about Parking Charge Notices they are practically an invoice from a private firm and it is not enforceable by law. Now I am not so sure if I made the right move. I have received another letter stating if I don't pay the overdue amount within 7 days they will instruct their solicitors/debt recovery to secure the payment or the issuing court proceedings could incur further costs. They also say my right to appeal to POPLA is no longer available.

All these threats just for overstaying at a McDonald's car park is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Equinox; 23rd October 2015, 15:54:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Need Help Please. MET Parking demanding overdue payment!

Try getting McDonalds to cancel the charge.

If the place is close by go back there at the same time and take pictures of the unlit signs (without flash). This will show that you could not have read their signs.

On the first letter you got, the Notice to Keeper it should give the dates. The letter should have been received by you within 14 days. Was it?

Yes, they can claim from the keeper of the car now but only if the notice they send you conforms striclty to the requirements of the regulations, POFA 2012.

There has been a change in the rules about Alternative Dispute Resolution processes, they should be available for 1 year. Someone will be along with the correct wording for that,.

Comment

I would just file and ignore.

1. You missed the appeal deadline and they won't change their mind.
      2. They probably screwed up keeper liability and should not be able to win in an unlikely court claim when they do not know the identity of the driver.

M1

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I think I did receive the letter within 14 days, but I am not certain because it was a couple of months.

It is true they don't know who the driver was at the time the incident occurred, but according to them they have the right to go after me, so how do we know they screwed up keeper liability? Isn't it a risky strategy to ignore it?

Comment

If Met Parking have complied in your case, it'll be a rare occurrence indeed.

I tend to think not ignoring is best but if they won't let you appeal now, what are you going to do ? Pay ?

Once you're past the point of no return you just have to go with it. Just think of all the letters as keeping your postie in a job.

M1

Comment

Well, I can appeal directly to MET, but not to the Independent Appeals Service according to the latest correspondence from them. Have there been any notable cases where they have sent bailiffs around demanding payment or made a court claim and won?

Comment

Well if MET say they'll consider an appeal then that's the best way to go.

Bailiffs are only after losing at court and failing to pay.

Met are not very litigious, yet.

M1

Comment

Yes, but as mentioned in the letter they are threatening to get debt recovery agents on my case and they don't need a court judgement for that. Unless of course they are making empty threats, what's the likelihood of that happening?

Comment

100% although all they do is send some letters using different fonts, type sizes and letterheads.

Can you post up the letter suitably sanitised ?

M1

Comment

Sure, here is the actual letter.

I appreciate your help, cheers.
                    Last edited by Equinox; 24th October 2015, 21:30:PM.

Comment

That's a reminder, but it does show they won't consider an appeal as it's been too long.

M1

Comment

Yes, I stand corrected. From what I can see I had to appeal within 28 days from the date of the initial correspondence.

In your experience what happens next if I choose to ignore the reminder?

Comment

Lots of letters with big red writing ever increasing numbers up to about £63270541207354123078452139.22 scarier company names and then a discount. Eventually they give up.

Most of the time.

M1

Comment

Well, I've ignored those reminders and received more threatening letters, this time, with court proceedings. I wonder if anyone who has been in a similar position can advise where I stand in all this from a legal point of view, as I am not very well informed of my rights and what would be the next best course of action.

All this grief for overstaying at a McDonald's car park for just being a paying customer is getting ridiculous.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Equinox; 31st December 2015, 15:16:PM.

Comment

This is a "recommend" court proceedings, not a "will". Still in the realms of frighteners. If they are so sure of their case why not proceed full tilt to court?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X