• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking ticket turned extortion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking ticket turned extortion

Hi.
    I used to park in a dead end street that still has double yellows running up to the fence that now marks the point where my company's car park boundary cuts across the road as it used to be.
    I got a ticket after parking there for a few weeks and accepted that I was chancing it and paid.
    Months later I saw one of the local authority enforcement officers turning in the cul-de-sac on his moped after not ticketing any of the cars that were parked exactly where I had been given a ticket for parking.
    I chased him down and explained my situation to which he replied that they were "no longer enforcing beyond that point there" and pointed to a small yellow parking sign about 20 feet further along the road.
    I got him to confirm it with his supervisor on his two-way radio and took that as verbal confirmation that they had changed their processes.
    Two weeks later in July 2016 I was issued a ticket for parking exactly where he'd told me I was ok to park. I obviously challenged this ticket, via email, citing the conversation I'd had previously with they officer.
    I heard nothing even though I'd made clear that I was looking forward to presenting this mitigating evidence in court.
    Almost 12 months later in June 2017 I received a letter from a collection agency stating that I now owed them £188 for the unpaid ticket.
    This prompted me to get back in touch with the council and explain the time frame between communications from them and that I was, foolishly, under the impression that they'd chosen not to pursue the case after all given the 11 month silence.
    They agreed in the phone that the amount of communication from them on this case was very low and that I should mention that to the TEC in Northampton who are the only body capable of retrieving this debt from the collection agency and handing it back to the council in question.
    I contacted them on 12th July this year and finally got a reply to that request on Sunday(?) 30th July. I complete the forms and returned them on Monday 31st but have still not had a response.
    In the mean time, yesterday, the collection agency have been to my house and 'hand delivered' a final warning for full payment of £423. The original letter they sent demanding £188 arrived and prompted me to contact them and explain that I was still trying to get the case heard in a court and that the council should never have handed this debt over in the first place.
    I've called the TEC at least 30 times over the course of yesterday and today with not a single call answered and I've sent them another email which this time got an immediate response with a link to a SurveryMonkey page that I immediately made use of.
    Does anyone have any ideas what my next course of action should be?
    Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Parking ticket turned extortion

Hi N03L, welcome to LB.

You could try https://www.resolver.co.uk/companies...tre-complaints
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X