• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

bw legal letter of claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: bw legal letter of claim

What would i put in the email about the contents of the call?
    I would like to confirm the contents of my call of xx/xx/16 @ xxx during which i spoke to xxxxx

I asked ..................

The response was ........

etc

Please reply if you believe this does not reflect what was said.

I have been into iceland which is the store i visited and they dont operate the cctv for that car park.

Did you speak to the manager to explain your predicament and disappointment ?

M1

Comment

Thanks, would this be ok?

I would like to confirm the contents of my call of 29/11/16 at 14.38 during which i spoke to Kairah.

I asked if you had recieved my email which i sent on 11/11/16 and was told you couldnt find it on the system. After being put on hold several times, i was told you had found it and and it would be processed today (29/11/16). I asked why it had taken so long and your response was that because you were very busy.
      I then said that i intend to defend the charge and considering my defence is due in by friday (2/12/16) would you be replying? To which your response was im replying now over the phone, and was only told how the charges were made up.

Yes i spoke to the manager but he didnt seem interested to be honest.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi, is it going to be too late to send the above now as i have to enter my defence by tomorrow?

Thanks.

Comment

I'll get it done later tonight so you can email it :okay:

M1

Comment

Thats great, thankyou.

Comment

Hi M1,

Im starting to worry as i havent heard back from you yet, and i dont know what to put in my defence.

Do i just state that i paid the money into the machine and that no ticket was issued, and that the other machines were out of order?

Thanks.

Comment

I'm just about to start.

M1

Comment

Edit to suit. (don't forget the last line in #5)

Redchoodef.rtf

M1

Comment

Ill send that online now then.

Thanks M1, really appreciate your help.

Comment

I have a problem as i can only respond with 122 lines.

Could i miss some part of it out? If so, which part?

Thanks.

Comment

1. I am the Defendant, **** ****, DOB **/**/****. residing at ********

2. Save as specifically admitted in this defence the Defendant*
                        denies each and every allegation set out in the Particulars of*
                        Claim, or implied in Pre action correspondence.

3. The particulars of claim do not meet the requirements of CPR*
                        16 the particulars of claim are not clear and concise as is*
                        required by CPR 16.4 1(a). Neither are they compliant with*
                        practice direction 16 7.5.

4. The claimant states “The claimmant's claim is or the sum of*
                        £100.00 being monies due from the defendant to the claimant, in*
                        respect of a PCN issued on 06/06/2014 at 16.43 at the Moor Centre,*
                        Brierley Hill.
                        The PCN relates to Peugeot under the registration **** ***

The claimant is put to strict proof that the defendant is due any*
                        money. The defendant purchased a ticket from the machine on site*
                        but no receipt was given. The defendant complied with all terms,*
                        as far as possible, and only faulty equipment prevented the*
                        display of the ticket. This being outside of the control of the*
                        defendant, liability is denied.

5. The claimant states “ The terms of the PCN allowed the*
                        defendant 28 days from the issue date to pay the PCN but the*
                        defendant failed to do so.
                        Despite demand having been made the defendant has failed to settle*
                        their outstanding liabilty.”

The defendant has no liability in this matter as it was the*
                        claimants inability to perform their side of the bargain which led*
                        to the non display of the ticket. The claimant, having been paid*
                        is seeking unjust enrichment and an unfair penalty. As this is a*
                        pay and display site as opposed to a free site, Parkingeye v*
                        Beavis can be readily distinguished as the facts are materially*
                        different.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 states that the court must assess the*
                        fairness of the charge which includes schedule 2 part 1 which*
                        offers as an example of unfair charges “A term which has the*
                        object or effect of requiring a consumer who fails to fulfil his*
                        obligations under the contract to pay a disproportionately high*
                        sum in compensation.”

Further it states “Requirement for contract terms and notices to*
                        be fair
                        (1) An unfair term of a consumer contract is not binding on the*
                        consumer.”

Payment of £100 instead of £0.50 is unfair.

6. The claimant has no legitimate interest in enforcing their*
                        charge , the charge is disproportionate , a penalty and an*
                        unenforceable Unfair contract term and this case can easily be*
                        distinguished from Parking Eye v Beavis

The purported contract entered into by the motorist is a simple*
                        consumer financial contract. An offer of parking is made in return*
                        for payment of a small tariff. The Operator is seeking to impose a*
                        charge for breach of contract. The loss for failure to make this*
                        payment is easily calculable as that unpaid tariff, which is*
                        actually zero in this case. Anything in excess is clearly a*
                        penalty and Unfair contract term .a. The Operator may seek to rely*
                        on the case of Parking Eye v Beavis as legitimising the charge in*
                        this case. The appellant will make the following observations. The*
                        Supreme Court adjudged that the charge in Parking Eye v Beavis*
                        could not be considered a penalty , despite the fact Parking Eye*
                        made no loss, because they had a legitimate interest in enforcing*
                        that charge and that the charge was not disproportionate to that*
                        interest. The legitimate interest was described in the Supreme*
                        Court judgment as :“97
                        a. The need to provide parking spaces for their commercial*
                        tenants’ prospective customers; -b. The desirability of that*
                        parking being free so as to attract customers;- i

c. The need to ensure a reasonable turnover of that parking so as*
                        to increase the potential number of such customers; - i
                        d. The related need to prevent ‘misuse’ of the parking for*
                        purposes unconnected with the tenants’ business, for example by*
                        commuters going to work or shoppers going to off-park premises;*
                        and
                        e. The desirability of running that parking scheme at no cost, or*
                        ideally some profit, to themselves.”-

In this case the vehicle would have been fully entitled to park as*
                        it did had payment been made ( provided the requirement to do so*
                        had been clearly brought to the motorist's attention ). Payment*
                        was made. The above justifications are irrelevant and*
                        conspicuously absent. The only interest the Operator has in*
                        enforcing the charge is ensuring payment is made. That is not a*
                        legitimate interest and in any event payment was made. The car*
                        park is no different to any commercial enterprise .The Operator*
                        cannot argue that a legitimate interest is simply ensuring that*
                        payment is made , i.e. simply ensuring the terms of the contract*
                        are not breached. If that was the situation any contractual term*
                        requiring payment for breach could never automatically be a*
                        penalty, in other words the need for another legitimate interest*
                        is unnecessary. In addition the charge demanded for breach is*
                        clearly disproportionate to the unpaid parking tariff of a few*
                        pounds. The charge is clearly a penalty following the judgement of*
                        the Supreme Court. This position is reinforced in the earlier*
                        judgement from the Court of Appeal in Parking Eye v Beavis.

The claimant states “The claim also includes statutory interest*
                        pursuant to section 69 of the county courts act 1984 at a rate of*
                        8% per annum a daily rate of 0.02 from 06/06/2014 to 03/11/2016*
                        being an amount of £17.64.”
                        Whilst liability is denied, should the court uphold the claim the*
                        defendant states that the claimant has waited inordinately long to*
                        makes their claim and 8% should be reduced to reflect the delay*
                        and the historically low interest rates. The claimant states “ The*
                        claimant also claims £54.00 contractual costs pursuant to PCN*
                        terms and conditions.”The claimant is claiming costs which*
                        ordinarily are not allowed by way of CPR 27.

Statement of Truth

I believe the facts stated in this defence are true.

Dated this 2nd day of December 2016.

Comment

Email it as a file. Contact the court to get the correct details for email and ask what file to use as well.

M1

Comment

Hi, having filed my defence i recieved a letter saying they will be continuing with their claim.

I have recieved a further document (N149A notice of proposed allocation to the small claims track).

I can either fill this in and go to court or they have attached another form (EX730 an option to settle without going to court, via telephone mediation).

Any advice?

Thanks.

Comment

Fill in the form, choose your local court. Pretty straight forward.

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...l-Claims-Track

M1

Comment

And risk paying the full amount plus costs?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X