• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Day in the Life of Sparkie PCN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Day in the Life of Sparkie PCN

I thought that ultimately the following applied

If after 14 days of a charge certificate being served the penalty charge is still not paid, the enforcement authority may register it as a debt at the Traffic Enforcement Centre. The authority may then recover the penalty through the county court:
    • The county court, on application from the enforcement authority, will authorise the authority to draw up an Order for Recovery. The authority will serve this order on you, with a Witness Statement form.
    • If the penalty is not then paid, the authority may apply to the court for a Warrant of Execution.

Comment

Originally posted by CYNthesys View Post
      I thought that ultimately the following applied

If after 14 days of a charge certificate being served the penalty charge is still not paid, the enforcement authority may register it as a debt at the Traffic Enforcement Centre. The authority may then recover the penalty through the county court:
      • The county court, on application from the enforcement authority, will authorise the authority to draw up an Order for Recovery. The authority will serve this order on you, with a Witness Statement form.
      • If the penalty is not then paid, the authority may apply to the court for a Warrant of Execution.
      All that is true, to an extent. 28 days after serving the Notice to Owner, the council issues a charge certificate, which increases the full penalty by 50%. After a further 14 days, the Order for Recovery is issued and if that is not paid, the next thing the motorist will know is bailiffs knocking at the door.

All this is done via the TEC at Northampton. At no point is there an actual court case which the motorist can defend.

Only if the motorist makes formal representation to the NtO, which are then rejected, can he appeal to the adjudicator. If at that stage he doesn't appeal or pay then the CC and OfR come into play

Comment

Back now and pleased others have come to the rescue. (I was interrupted by arrival of 4 grandchildren and am now k*******d)
        Basically agree with the advice now given, but I would also refrain from identifying the driver (I know the owner is "responsible for the charge" but being overcautious I would not tell them I was driving!)
        Do send them proof of the blue badge, and I would also refer them to their own policy guidance as in Post 6

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          Basically agree with the advice now given, but I would also refrain from identifying the driver (I know the owner is "responsible for the charge" but being overcautious I would not tell them I was driving!)
          You are going to need to identify someone, without a name and address the council will ignore the appeal and the next thing will be an NtO

Comment

May be I have missed something here but if the vehicle owner registered (under genuine circumstances) may make a complaint/enquiry to the council on their web site specifically made for that purpose with reasonable cause, would also that be an option ? :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Would the council be reasonable in response ?

Comment

Sparkie just wants to see this PCN cancelled.
              The easiest way is to write to council on behalf of Margaret, advising she is the owner (as they can check via DVLA) and of her condition.
              Then explain the driver's actions and the circumstances surrounding the incident.
              No need to go on about CEO.
              Send proof of blue badge and remind them of their policy guidance and the PCN should be cancelled.
              At least that is what I'd be doing.
              If it is turned down, then start getting local councillor involved, and letters to Chief Executive, (and local press?)
              Then to independent adjudicator through Traffic Penalty Tribunal, but I don't really envisage it getting that far

Comment

From Michaels post

"All that is true, to an extent. 28 days after serving the Notice to Owner, the council issues a charge certificate, which increases the full penalty by 50%. After a further 14 days, the Order for Recovery is issued and if that is not paid, the next thing the motorist will know is bailiffs knocking at the door.

All this is done via the TEC at Northampton. At no point is there an actual court case which the motorist can defend."
                This I do not understand No one can be penalised by a Court Case that cannot be defended..that is in conflict with The ECHR's or am I wrong again.

Should nothing be done and the process goes its path....... how could they they serve a Notice on Margaret? in her mental state even if it was sent signed for she would not know what she was signing for or what it was, and even if she read it she wouldn't understand it.
                For instance the notice on the screen would never have been removed by her.
                She would have thought it was meant to be there like a tax disc or something.
                I am only supposing.
                I am the one who has to deal with it .....could I claim costs off the Council for my time in dealing with it?
                Its just that I'm sick of having to fight beurocracy to try and both of of us live a peaceful last few years, and we ain't got too many of them left.

Sparkie
                :tinysmile_cry_t:
                I know I'm an awkard
                old Git

Comment

As the PCN is made out to the owner, and the owner in this case is incapable, by reason of mental disorder to be able to deal with this I believe that Human Rights issues are relevant and come into play , ie Article 6 the right to a fair and impartial hearing and Article 14 (anti discrimination)
                  On the face of it it seems that the rules governing the enforcement of PCNs are not necessarily compliant with HRA 1998,
                  (no opportunity available for a person lacking capacity to challenge or defend a PCN unless they have someone validly appointed to administer their property or affairs.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                    Sparkie just wants to see this PCN cancelled.
                    The easiest way is to write to council on behalf of Margaret, advising she is the owner (as they can check via DVLA) and of her condition.
                    Then explain the driver's actions and the circumstances surrounding the incident.
                    No need to go on about CEO.
                    Send proof of blue badge and remind them of their policy guidance and the PCN should be cancelled.
                    At least that is what I'd be doing.
                    If it is turned down, then start getting local councillor involved, and letters to Chief Executive, (and local press?)
                    Then to independent adjudicator through Traffic Penalty Tribunal, but I don't really envisage it getting that far
                    The point I was trying & failed to make !.................

Comment

Im on same wave length Sparkie, my post crossed with yours

Comment

Initially keep it simple.
                        If that fails, yes, that is the time to go down human rights issues etc.
                        The councils own published policies SHOULD allow this to be put to bed quickly and easily.

Comment

I want to thank everyone for their views comments and assistance...I now have to decide which is the best way to proceed ,,,,,not necessarily the simplest and easiest....just getting out of this is not of any benefit to anyone else...there is a lot for the Council to put right in the way they issue these notices..a lot of people just pay up when they do not have to if they have the nerve to fight back.

Thanks again for all the food for thought..I know its easy to get out of now.
                          Will see how I go from here.

Thanks again
                          Sparkie

Comment

Council have advised that " On this occasion after reviewing the evidence they have cancelled the PCN Notice issued to Margaret":tinysmile_twink_t2:

Sparkie

Comment

:clap2:
                              Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

One less worry, good for you as you have too many of them at the mo.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X