• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Am I out of time?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I out of time?

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site & I am sure from reading a few posts that sound advice will come my way, so here goes.

I am not sure about the protocol for naming London Boroughs or Bailiff companies but this involves London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham and Marston Group Limited.

From time to time I work on the bank staff of a Careline Emergency service for LBHF, a response service for elderly and vulnerable folk in the borough. It is shift work and as such one night in July in 2010 I was working and ironically spent a bit of time going through my timesheets and payslips and found there was a shortfall in my pay that had accrued over a year or so of about £700,hurray! ( the irony will be explained in due course!)
    Our office is on the ground floor in a residential area. At about 7am I looked out of the window and noticed two men looking at the back of my car and one of them putting on a wheel clamp. I was shocked and trying to think were there any suspended parking signs up etc that I had not noticed. I immediately went outside to speak to the men asking them what they were doing. I was asked if this was my vehicle and I was told they had a warrant to clamp and remove the vehicle unless payment of £731.05 was made.I told him I did not have that sort of money. He asked if I had a credit card or was there a family member who I could ask for the money. He said this would need to be paid as soon as possible as the car would be removed. I was baffled, just completely baffled as to what fine he was talking about. I went into panic mode because I had not been in a situation like this before. I had never received a letter or visit from a bailiff. They had allegedly been to visit me and leave letters at my old address. I explained that I was just finishing a night shift and that I needed my vehicle for work and to get home, I did not have £731.05, I had never had a visit from him as he must have been visiting my old address. All to no avail. I ended up calling my folks in Birmingham and my Dad helped me out by giving me his credit card details and that was that. I felt like I had been robbed. The amount of £700 that LBHF had underpaid me in my wages was gone by the morning back to LBHF and a bailiff firm as it turns out for unpaid parking fines in LBHF from 18th and 19th December 2006. One of these fines I disputed at the time as it was on my street and I was waiting for a new parking permit. I had had a parking permit for years, the traffic warden knew my vehicle and knew I was waiting for a permit. Of course no reasoning.

I don't know how they came to be at my place of work at 7am on that morning. There were lots of questions I thought of after the event and frustratingly having read about other people's experiences, I realised that there were a number of things I could have done at the time, if I had taken a step back from the situation and not panicked. They presumably were using a vehicle recognition device or could they have found me through my employer LBHF?
    I spent a few weeks looking into how I could reclaim the fees which I thought were far too high.

Amount owing £155
    Bailiff attendance costs £114.43
    Attendance to remove/removal costs £175.00
    VAT on Bailiffs costs at Standard Rate £50.64 Total £495.08

Amount owing £155
    Bailiff attendance costs £114.43
    VAT on Bailiff costs at standard rate £20.03. Total £289.46

Total £731.05.

The Bailiffs fees and costs £421.05.

I wrote to Marston's group for a Data Subject Access Request. They replied with a letter that stated there is no statutory right for me to have a copy of documents held by this company etc but that they had attached a schedule of the personal data held by their company about me. If I wanted specific documents in respect of my dispute I should apply to the Court for disclosure of such documents.

And there I left the matter put it down to a bad experience, something I could learn from etc. I was starting teacher training and working flat out for the last two years and hadn't thought about it. But it's reared it's ugly head again and there must be something I can do to recover those fees!!
    Any advice please about how to proceed and this time I shan't be giving up!
    Tags: None

Re: Am I out of time?

Have a read of this first http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...rking-Offences

Next send off Letter 1 from here http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...Useful-Letters

Doesn't matter if it is old you have up to 6 years to claim back any unlawful or overcharged fees. It might be that any claim will have to be made against the Council as they are 100% responsible for the actions and fees of their agents.

Comment

Re: Am I out of time?

Many thanks for your quick response - following up now. Thanks again!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X