• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Being pursued for a PCN on my husband’s car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being pursued for a PCN on my husband’s car

Hi all,

Back in July last year my husband received a parking charge notice from Smart Parking, as his car had been parked in the accessible parking of a local leisure centre but its registration had not been entered into one of the parking validation machines inside.

I appealed online on his behalf - the signage in the accessible car park states you must register your blue badge at reception (which we had) and then display it in your car (which it was). The signs do not say you need to enter your car’s registration on one of the machines in the leisure centre, only that you have to register and display your blue badge.

As well as appealing online I got the leisure centre to get in touch with Smart Parking to cancel the fine. We actually got 3 separate fines for 3 separate occasions - two were cancelled no problems but this one apparently refuses to go away.

I can’t remember exactly what I wrote in the online appeal but since then I’ve been sent multiple letters from Debt Recovery Plus in relation to the penalty - despite not being the driver and the car not being registered to me! I had been ignoring them but have now had a letter from CST Law warning about court action.

I’m just wondering what I should do next…

1. Carry on ignoring and see if I get taken to court - I think I could defend it given it’s not my car, I wasn’t driving it, and the leisure centre cancelled it
    2. Appeal to POPLA - the timeframe for this has passed last year so I’m not sure this would do anything
    3. Contact Smart Parking and explain the PCN has nothing to do with me
    4. Contact Debt Recovery Plus and explain the PCN has nothing to do with me
    5. Something else?!

Basically a I’m tired of these letters and just want them to stop! Advice gratefully received, thank you.
    Tags: None

We get a regular amount of people on here seeking help for PCNs and what I can never fathom is why a number of them choose to ignore until they get a threat for legal proceedings and then everyone starts panicking what to do.

My advice is never to ignore it. Respond to them and keep responding the same thing if you have to and that way you have a claim for harassment if they persist. Either way there is a likelihood they will issue legal proceedings so you should prepare for that.

Responding to your 5 questions in the same order:

1. Yes, you could do this, but if you don't know what you said in your appeal you could have suggested you were the driver which is why they are coming after you.

2. No chance you are way out of time.

3. CST Law are now representing Smart Parking so you should communicate with them.

4. See point 3.

5. I suggest you write to CST Law and tell them you were not the driver nor is it your vehicle so they are barking up the wrong tree and if they continue, you reserve your right to counterclaim for harassment. Whether you choose to counterclaim is up to you but it might make them pause for a moment, or they might call your bluff and issue proceedings anyway.

It would also be sensible that you make a subject access request to Smart Parking so you can see what exactly you said in your appeal. As above, this might indicate why they are choosing to pursue you.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Agree with R0b but I'd be pleasantly surprised if CST Law even hesitated.

Comment

Thank you R0b for your detailed response.

The reason I ignored the letters was the leisure centre assured me on multiple occasions the PCN was cancelled their end, but it could take 8-10 weeks for Smart Parking’s systems to catch up so it was ok to ignore any letters in the mean time. In hindsight I see this wasn’t good advice to follow!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X