• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bailiff Visit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailiff Visit

I received a visit from a bailiff I wasn't home at the time however I received a message from them stating that they would be placing my vehicle on file for clamping & removal. My vehicle is on finance can they take this?
    Tags: None

Originally posted by samanthabr30 View Post
    I received a visit from a bailiff I wasn't home at the time however I received a message from them stating that they would be placing my vehicle on file for clamping & removal. My vehicle is on finance can they take this?
    Well that depends on the type of finance, but I am assuming you are referring to a HP or PCP type agreement and if I am right, then absolutely not. Of course the bailiff might suggest they can take it because you might have some 'beneficial interest' but the law is on your side in that they can only take goods that actually belong to you. HP or PCP agreements are long-term hire agreements which you have what is known as a possessory title which is basically you have exclusive possession to use the vehicle but ownership and title to it belongs to the lender.

If I were you, I would be messaging the bailiff and putting them on notice that they cannot clamp the vehicle because is subject to a hire purchase agreement and therefore does not belong to you. Had the bailiff done checks on the vehicle at the time, then they would have known it was on hire purchase (or maybe they did and were aware but chose to ignore it). Make it clear that any attempt to clamp and/or take steps to remove the vehicle will be construed as trespass to goods and you reserve the right to pursue all damages and compensation for wrongful interference as well as costs for loss and expense of having to use alternative means of travel.

Then, if the bailiff decides to clamp the vehicle in the knowledge they have been made aware it is on hire purchase, they have no defence if you follow through with legal proceedings.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you the reply, yes I think they have just turned up seen the vehicle and then messaged that without doing any checks what so ever. Was watching a few videos last night and people saying just have the proof ready to show them if they do clamp it

Comment

Having evidence of the agreement would also be proof, just make sure to lock your door if you are stepping outside as the bailiff(s) may want to make a beeline to enter your home peacefully.

I would still suggest that you put the bailiff on notice before they try to clamp it because there is a defence if they have a reasonable belief that the car is free from finance. Obviously, reasonable checks would be required to be carried out before that defence could be used but you don't really want to give the bailiff any leeway on this. You may also want to send them a screenshot of the agreement confirming the vehicle registration is subject to a financed agreement. Be careful, however, as whichever option you choose, I have heard some bailiffs clamp the vehicle then reach out to the lender telling them it has been seized. The lender then takes steps to terminate your agreement on the basis that you have allowed it to be seized and they have a right to terminate under a clause in the contract (I don't agree with this position for various reasons but there is no case law on this point so it is just an argument).

That gets somewhat more complicated especially if you have not paid 1/3 of the total price payable under the agreement and the only solution to that may be legal proceedings against both the lender and the bailiff. If you find yourself in that position you may want to seek some legal advice.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

You need to be careful what you watch online, some videos are just utter bonkers and make wild claims about dealing with bailiffs . What you have been told above is quite right, if they clamp your vehicle and its on finance then they must remove the claim without undue delay, a copy of your hire purchase agreement should be sufficient to knock that on the head
          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Thank you both for your replies. I have printed all my documents out and I'm also going to contact my hire purchase company to advise them of what has happened. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by samanthabr30 View Post
              Thank you both for your replies. I have printed all my documents out and I'm also going to contact my hire purchase company to advise them of what has happened. Thanks again
              You may also want to be careful about telling the HP company as well. As I mentioned, there is typically a clause in your HP agreement that might allow the lender to terminate if the vehicle is clamped..Personally I wouldn't tell them but if you want to give the lender some ammunition to terminate your agreement, fill your boots.
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Thank you for the reply I haven't informed them, I've got everything printed from my hire purchase agreement. The company have messaged once again saying my vehicle is now on the number plate technology for clamping.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X