• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Luton Council have issued a PCN incorrectly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luton Council have issued a PCN incorrectly

Hi All,

I wanted advice from this great forum about a PCN notice which has been sent to me. The notice does not have my name stated and more importantly, references a vehicle I have never owned or ever driven.

I don't like disclosing my own details when responding to this type of error for the fear of any organisation using my details to pin this type of fine on me when I know I am not liable. Also to respond back to Luton council you need to state a reason and then provide any evidence however, I don't have any specific evidence for this scenario other than my word.

Any advice and next steps would be greatly appreciated.

Tags: None

What you could do because you have 'reasonable Cause' is go for the evidence, not your car, not you and not your penalty fine.

That will take away the apprehension in contacting the Council.

https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      What you could do because you have 'reasonable Cause' is go for the evidence, not your car, not you and not your penalty fine.

That will take away the apprehension in contacting the Council.

https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla Make sure you get Proof of Postage.
      Do I have to legally reply back to them as this request for information from the DVLA will take at least a week?

Comment

If the notice is not addressed to you ( The notice does not have my name stated) you should not have opened it but returned it to sender by putting it back in the post and marking the envelope "not known at this address"

I would return it now marked "opened in error... not known at this address"

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          If the notice is not addressed to you ( The notice does not have my name stated) you should not have opened it but returned it to sender by putting it back in the post and marking the envelope "not known at this address"

I would return it now marked "opened in error... not known at this address"
          That might be morally correct, but it isn't strictly correct legally, is it?

My understanding is that once something has been delivered to the correct location address, then it can be opened by the occupier even if it is addressed to someone unknown*, so long as the occupier does not intend any detriment to that unknown person by opening it.

I open everything that is correctly delivered through my letterbox. I take a special interest in opening anything addressed to anyone who is unknown to me. I want to find out why someone I don't know is using my address as a correspondence address. I think that is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

I might put it back in the post marked "Not known at this address" or - depending on the nature of the correspondence - I might contact the sender and try to find out what is happening. If it were a letter from High Court Enforcement Agents anybody would be daft to just return it marked "Not known etc..." rather than try to prevent the situation escalating to bailiffs knocking on their door with a warrant.

In these days of identity fraud, cloned number plates etc I don't think you can be too careful or too prudent about who is using your address. It might be a straightforward clerical error or it might be something you should know about...

*The OP has been a bit coy. It's unclear if the PCN is addressed to someone they know or they don't know. "The notice does not have my name stated". Perhaps English is not their first language or perhaps they're being evasive...

Comment

Bit of a grey area but sensible comments from Manxman

Postal services Act 2000 sec 84 (3) states:
            " A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him." (my italics!)

Royal Mail advice is:
            "If you’ve received mail which has your address, but not your name, this is because we deliver to addresses rather than names. If this does happen, you can put a cross through the address and write 'Not known at this address' or 'No longer lives here' and put it back in a postbox"

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X