• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

No longer own the vehicle but still received parking ticket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No longer own the vehicle but still received parking ticket

Hello,

I am just after some advice regarding a parking ticket my mom has received as I am out of ideas of what to do.

Last year my mom has sold her car and because she has done it on her own she just made a huge mistake by handing the whole V5C document to the new keeper who said they will change the keeper details. A few months later a speeding ticket came for that car which is how we found out that the car is still registered under my mom's name. We have spoken with the new keeper and he keeps saying that he did change the details that he has V5C in his name and that he is also paying tax on the car (he sent a copy of the bank statement). Not sure if he is saying the truth or not but the facts are different. DVLA are saying that no new V5C document has been issued recently and we are going back and forwards with DVLA regarding the ownership change as the main part we are missing is the new keeper's details. We have asked him to provide that but he refused. We have spoken with the police and they were able to identify him as the keeper somehow and the speeding ticket was issued to him directly.

Then around the same time that we received the speeding ticket, a parking ticket came as well. I've tried to appeal it by using one of the templated from this forum saying that the vehicle is no longer owned by my mom. However, Napier came back saying because their records show her name as the registered keeper at the time she is liable for the parking fine. We did try to ask the police too if by any chance they would be able to issue a confirmation or something that my mom is no longer the keeper as they have that information, but all they advised is that my mom will just need to advise anyone that the car was sold and she no longer owns it. DVLA has been useless, we have sent letters, and done live chats and most of the time they are saying that they are looking into this issue or that they can't do anything.

What should we do in this case?

- I did check and the parking ticket was issued in less than 14 days since the driver was caught so can't appeal from that aspect.
    Tags: None

Reply to these people giving the name and address of the purchaser and date of sale.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

We don't have the address of the new keeper which is the worst part so neither can we easily change the ownership with DVLA nor can we just tell the new keeper details to the parking company.

Comment

Do you have proof of the sale? (It's not necessarily a get-out-of-jail card, but it's a starting point).
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

We do have a bank payment to show as proof of payment and messages from Facebook but is that something that the parking company will even consider?

Comment

The usual parking company response is that you should update the DVLA record immediately, & then go on to state the dire consequences of not doing so.
            But in reality, it is nothing whatsoever to do with them.
            If the DVLA want to do something about it, that is between them & you.
            Most private parking companies have a contract with DVLA (KADOE) which enable them to have direct access to the DVLA database.
            But this is at the particular point of time that they access it......things can change.
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

I had the same situation with my daughters car, I purchased a new car for her and she gave her old car away to a deserving person (charity) she also gave the whole V5c to the person. Lo and behold the same thing, Parking tickets came like confetti. Of course the parking companies were not interested in our reasons for not being responsible. We ended up writing to the DVLA giving the full details of when the car was disposed of. we also suggested that they inform the police as the vehicle could not insured, and that as the vehicle was still in my daughters name that it had been taken without consent. The owner and keeper are two different entities so caused a headache for them. the matter was soon sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by tesla6518 View Post
                I had the same situation with my daughters car, I purchased a new car for her and she gave her old car away to a deserving person (charity) she also gave the whole V5c to the person. Lo and behold the same thing,
                I would like to put on record that I am not a deserving person.
                Parking tickets came like confetti. Of course the parking companies were not interested in our reasons for not being responsible. We ended up writing to the DVLA giving the full details of when the car was disposed of. we also suggested that they inform the police as the vehicle could not insured, and that as the vehicle was still in my daughters name that it had been taken without consent. The owner and keeper are two different entities so caused a headache for them. the matter was soon sorted.
                I also have had PCNs for a vehicle sold prior to the PCNs' issue. (One on the same day of sale, others shortly thereafter).
                At the time of sale I couldn't (for technical reasons) update the DVLA records, but did so shortly afterwards & DVLA were quite happy, given adequate proof, to backdate to the point of sale.

####
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

The DVLA records were never updated by the deserving person even after 10 months and some £2000 in PCN's and various other parking violations. it was only when we contacted the DVLA that the matter was sorted.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X