• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Overstayed supermarket parking period question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overstayed supermarket parking period question

Hello,

We've got a "CONTRACTUAL PCN" from GS4.

Circumstances:
    - My wife parked there in the evening, the parking period is limited to 90 minutes (she used the car park for 107 minutes). The usual arriving and leaving 2 photos are on the PCN as proof. Tbh, there was a lot going on, she used the car park to load and unload shopping and waiting for the kids to finish a sport tournament there, which was delayed (the leisure centre where it took place is not connected to the supermarket, it has its own small car park but it was full).
    - We have no proof of purchase in the actual shop (paid by cash), but she is regular customer there.

We don't want to pay the fine. What is the best plan of action? Please only give advice that is up-to-date, actually works, and doesn't land us in just more trouble.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

P

Tags: None

It would be an advantage to see the original Notice(s), windscreen &/or postal, front & rear as applicable. Redact personal identifiers, but leave all .times & dates visible.
    Also a clear legible photo of the site sign t&cs.
    107 minutes is on the cusp of being allowable. I'm sure that GS4 will say no.
    Do you live in England/Wales?
    Is the vehicle a hire/lease, company vehicle, or privately owned?
    Have you been in contact at all with GS4 (or anyone acting for them &, if yes, was the driver ID'd?
    More questions than answers, I'm afraid.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Sorry... a little technical glitch. Answer is in my next reply.
      Last edited by ppap; 15th February 2023, 18:44:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ppap View Post
        Please only give advice that is up-to-date, actually works, and doesn't land us in just more trouble.
        The first thing that is needed if we are to be able to meet these laudable requirements will be dates.

Date of parking.

Dates of all letters you have received, and dates of receipt.

Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply. I attach here the relevant photos. Maybe also worth to note, it was dark and rainy, and the signs are actually not that visible, but probably debatable if sufficient.
          Attached Files

Comment

You are coming perilously close to identifying who was driving. Could you edit your opening post? (The driver parked, etc).
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Ooops, that one does not have and Edit or Delete option...

Comment

The dates shown on the PCN do not help you. Parking on 2 February, notice clearly received within 14 days (you posted a copy on 15 February).
                Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

The Notice looks bulletproof to me.
                  I guess it's possible that the signs were/are not adequately illuminated, you would need to take a look during darkness hours.
                  The sign itself looks compliant.
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                    The Notice looks bulletproof to me.
                    I guess it's possible that the signs were/are not adequately illuminated, you would need to take a look during darkness hours.
                    The sign itself looks compliant.
                    Yeah, the signs are correct, however, I think the visibility can be VERY debatable. I will check in the dark.
                    The Notice says all the wrong things in my opinion (such as LEAVING the car in the car park, well, actually it wasn't just left there.... plus it says CONTRACT, where there was no real contract... they INVITE me to give details or pay, i guess invitation can be declined... )

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
                      The dates shown on the PCN do not help you. Parking on 2 February, notice clearly received within 14 days (you posted a copy on 15 February).
                      Thank you, Yes, I am aware

Comment

Originally posted by ppap View Post
                        Yeah, the signs are correct, however, I think the visibility can be VERY debatable. I will check in the dark.
                        The Notice says all the wrong things in my opinion (such as LEAVING the car in the car park, well, actually it wasn't just left there.... plus it says CONTRACT, where there was no real contract... they INVITE me to give details or pay, i guess invitation can be declined... )
                        Imho, the sign states enough to satisfy the requirements of a unilateral contract.
                        Acceptance of terms is via performance. (Eg Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Company [1893] 1 Q.B)
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

The OP needs to think carefully if he is to achieve his objective of not making things worse.

​​​​​​Leaving the car in the car park (i.e. parking) is an act of acceptance of the offer communicated via the notices, creating the contract. There is a lot of case law confirming this.

The requirements of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2014 appear to have been met as regards this company's ability to claim against the driver or, if different, the registered keeper.

Comment

There might be an argument to be had in that the signs clearly state "Customer Parking Only"

This means that a non customer parking there is trespassing, as non customers are not to park there.
                            Now it is not possible to contract to do something which is forbidden, which means that their claim for contractual damages must fail unless they can show the parker was a customer of the store

Now I understand the driver parked there whilst awaiting to collect persons who were in the nearby sports centre.
                            There were no available spaces in the sports centre hence the need to park in B&M's (near empty?) car park.
                            As the car park was near empty, B7M's losses caused by the trespass would be nil, so they have no realistic claim for damages for trespass.

Be an interesting defence to run, putting G4S to proof of driver's actions after parking

Comment

The OP says they are regular customers, and that they paid cash in the shop.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X